Thread: Is it wrong...

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Is it wrong...

This is my first year in a keeper league, actually first year in a decent pool as well. So this is fairly new to me when it comes to being able to trade/add/drop etc. I'm not doing very well, sitting bottom four. Only thing I am in contention for is first pick in the draft. I know. But I'll get better.

I traded for Justin Schultz around the third week of the season with full intentions of him being my keeper on D. I also had Subban who had just signed and started playing so wasn't really sure about him. And we all know how well he's been playing now.

My question is, is it wrong to have two keepers on D? We can only protect 6 at the end of the season.

You can see my team & league details in my sig.

Appreciate your help and glad to have joined here.
    14 Teams | 12F - 5D - 2G | Protect 6 |
    10F Active | 4D Active | 1G Active | Weekly Roster Set

G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG
    W, SO

F - Benn, Brassard, Conacher, Eberle, Frattin, Latendresse, Little, J McGinn, Plekanec, Saad, Pouliot, Steen

D - Subban, Schultz, Wideman, Ehrhoff, Spurgeon

G - Quick, Holtby

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Looking at your roster I think keeping both D is a smart play you really dont have much up front after Benn and Eberle. I assume you would keep Benn, Eberle, Quick, Subban and Schultz and then find a 6th out of the rest of the mediocre forwards you have.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by WhoaCanada View Post
    This is my first year in a keeper league, actually first year in a decent pool as well. So this is fairly new to me when it comes to being able to trade/add/drop etc. I'm not doing very well, sitting bottom four. Only thing I am in contention for is first pick in the draft. I know. But I'll get better.

I traded for Justin Schultz around the third week of the season with full intentions of him being my keeper on D. I also had Subban who had just signed and started playing so wasn't really sure about him. And we all know how well he's been playing now.

My question is, is it wrong to have two keepers on D? We can only protect 6 at the end of the season.

You can see my team & league details in my sig.

Appreciate your help and glad to have joined here.
    given your roster no its not wrong however if your trade deadline hasnt past that shouldnt be your roster

you should be selling some of your parts to upgrade forward keepers where you can by buying low on underperforming future studs like a rnh for example

Dobber Sports Initiate

Given that your only surefire forward keepers are Benn and Eberle, I'd definitely keep both Schultz and Subban. With Quick you've got 5 keepers, but I'm not sure who the 6th would be. I don't think it should be Holtby, because in a keep 6 there should be plenty of goalies available in the draft. I would try to shop Subban a bit, if you can, for an upgrade at forward. He's got more value in a multi-cat league, but he still carries a lot of name value. You might be able to get a pure scoring threat for him that's been having an off year. Someone like RNH, as lucifer mentioned, would be ideal. Good luck!
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Players should be deemed keepers by:

1. Relative production compared to a waiver wire player.
    Consider a points-only league with 120F, 60D in play. (a 12-team league where each team starts 10F, 5D)
    You have to make a decision between keeping:
    JohnX, a 55pt forward. Knowing the 120th forwards scores about 45pts
    vs
    JimY, a 45pt defenseman. Knowing the 60th defenseman scores about 30pts.

Here, you keep JimY based on his +15 relative difference.

2. Scarcity & drop-off.
    Sometimes, teams have to consider keeping a crappy goalie, just based on position scarcity. For example, if you have the 13th/14th pick in a re-draft and teams are loading up on 3 goalies... you may feel you can't drop Holtby because he might be snagged before your redraft pick.

Your keepers, IMO:
    F: Eberle
    F: Benn
    D: Subban
    D: J.Schultz
    G: Quick
    G: Holtby (Holtby is your 6th... upgrade him if possible, but don't necessarily sacrifice draft picks to do it. Keeping an OK goalie is fine in a 14-team league, because of scarcity of the position)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Is Conacher not a keeper? I think he's going to be a stud in TBay. Considering my roster, I may have no choice but the trade deadline is the NHL deadline so trying to make a couple of moves but guys aren't, even the contenders, three who are only a matter of five points apart of each other.

I've been trying to unload PK, packaged him in a deal with Plekanec since they're great on the PP together but no bites. Was looking for one solid keeper in return on that deal.

I also tried moving a five player blockbuster: Benn, PK, Plecky, Wideman and Steen in return for two keepers (Carter and Bergeron on one + 3 fillers and Vanek and JVR + three fillers on the other). These were proposed to the top two teams and both rejected. Was that unreasonable? The point differential was 25+ points in their favour last week. I thought it was a good deal. Helped them out in the short term to win dough, me in the long run. The way I see it, if you're going for it, you need point power. Worry about regaining players next year. No?

G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG
    W, SO

F - Benn, Brassard, Conacher, Eberle, Frattin, Latendresse, Little, J McGinn, Plekanec, Saad, Pouliot, Steen

G - Quick, Holtby

Dobber Sports Wizard

Is Conacher not a keeper? I think he's going to be a stud in TBay. Considering my roster, I may have no choice but the trade deadline is the NHL deadline so trying to make a couple of moves but guys aren't, even the contenders, three who are only a matter of five points apart of each other.

I've been trying to unload PK, packaged him in a deal with Plekanec since they're great on the PP together but no bites. Was looking for one solid keeper in return on that deal.

I also tried moving a five player blockbuster: Benn, PK, Plecky, Wideman and Steen in return for two keepers (Carter and Bergeron on one + 3 fillers and Vanek and JVR + three fillers on the other). These were proposed to the top two teams and both rejected. Was that unreasonable? The point differential was 25+ points in their favour last week. I thought it was a good deal. Helped them out in the short term to win dough, me in the long run. The way I see it, if you're going for it, you need point power. Worry about regaining players next year. No?
    those teams probably did you a favor by turning those deals down to be honest

its still 2 1/2 weeks or so just make sure everyone knows you have players available someone will bite sooner or later

make sure you post all offers in here first though because they will be trying to hose you for sure

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    those teams probably did you a favor by turning those deals down to be honest

its still 2 1/2 weeks or so just make sure everyone knows you have players available someone will bite sooner or later

make sure you post all offers in here first though because they will be trying to hose you for sure
    ^Agree with this.

Dobber Sports Rookie

If I were to package PK and Plecky, here are the contenders that may make a play for him;

Team One
    Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Heatley, Huberdeau, Ovechkin, Roy, Vanek, Voracek, Wheeler, van Riemsdyk, Carlson, Doughty, Ekman-Larsson, Streit, Hemsky, Schenn,
    Hedman

Team Two
    Bergeron, Berglund,Carter, Jagr, Marleau, Richards, Sedin, Simmonds, Staal,
    Stamkos, Edler, Johnson, Kronwall, Shattenkirk, Briere, Kesler, Gardiner,

Team Three
    Alfredsson, Bozak, Brown, Crosby, Hossa, Koivu, S, Ribeiro, Sobotka,
    St. Louis, Zetterberg, Beauchemin, Gonchar, Leddy, Seabrook, Cogliano, Lupul, Ericsson

G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG
    W, SO

G - Quick, Holtby

Dobber Sports Wizard

If I were to package PK and Plecky, here are the contenders that may make a play for him;

Team One
    Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Heatley, Huberdeau, Ovechkin, Roy, Vanek, Voracek, Wheeler, van Riemsdyk, Carlson, Doughty, Ekman-Larsson, Streit, Hemsky, Schenn,
    Hedman

Team Two
    Bergeron, Berglund,Carter, Jagr, Marleau, Richards, Sedin, Simmonds, Staal,
    Stamkos, Edler, Johnson, Kronwall, Shattenkirk, Briere, Kesler, Gardiner,

Team Three
    Alfredsson, Bozak, Brown, Crosby, Hossa, Koivu, S, Ribeiro, Sobotka,
    St. Louis, Zetterberg, Beauchemin, Gonchar, Leddy, Seabrook, Cogliano, Lupul, Ericsson
    wait for them to get desperate

every time you send out an offer you show your ass so to speak and all they have to do is turn you down to get you to lower your ask

Dobber Sports Rookie

I know but I also have to hope come deadline, the little orange hot square beside their name is still bursting. Like it is now.

G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG
    W, SO

G - Quick, Holtby

Dobber Sports Wizard

I know but I also have to hope come deadline, the little orange hot square beside their name is still bursting. Like it is now.
    if you say so

Dobber Sports Rookie

I just thought now's a better time to move them since they're hot and get more in return

G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG
    W, SO

G - Quick, Holtby

Dobber Sports Wizard

I just thought now's a better time to move them since they're hot and get more in return
    a ticking clock tends to bring out better offers