Thread: Nervous about Tarasenko?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Nervous about Tarasenko?

I'd like to know peoples' opinions on this. I own Tarasenko and I look at all the positive reviews he gets on this sight and otherwise. His review in the prospects report, his place in the top prospects list, etc. Very impressive.

However, I'm a bit nervous about him fulfilling that potential. Reasons:

1. He's Russian. I know he's committed to the Blues this season but with the lockout and him playing in the K, could this change....

2. In relation to point one, how has playing in the K for however many years translated to NHL play? (For other players)

3. He just got a concussion. I didn't see the hit but I look at some of his highlight reel goals and they are often him cutting through the middle on a rush into the offensive zone right into the slot. Watching some of those highlights I ask myself, "Why doesn't that Dman level him??" I'm thinking with that style of play, he's going to take a few heavy open icers.

Does anyone have comments on these points? Concurring or challenging?...

Your input in appreciated.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Pro

i really dont care, he wont get hit with cheap shot like that every day !!

he said he would prefer to be in AHL to play on smaller surface and get use to those rinks !!

He will be in the NHL as soon as he is healthy. He would not have come to St-Louis to the beginning of season ( send of september) he if was going to play in KHL !!!

be happy with this guy in your line up and just be patient !
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Administrator

I am beginning to wonder if anyone is safe on the concussion front. Sure, Tarasenko just took a shot to the noggin, but the list of players with a concussion history is staggering. Fellow prospect Granlund had two last year. How do we know which one is a greater risk moving forward? The problem is that violent collisions can happen to anyone, so even if a player has no history, he is one hit away from moving to the top of the risk list.

Regarding the rest, I think he is safe as an NHL prospect, for now. There is a small chance that he could "Radulov" his way back to Russia if he is stuck in limbo on the depth chart, but that risk is no different than most other Russians.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Until he signed his ELC with the Blues he was high risk, high reward. He is now medium risk, high reward. SKA is apparently denying that it was a concussion but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. Adds a bit of risk for sure.

Malkin played 2 seasons in Russia after being drafted and had an enormous rookie season in the NHL. That's the only recent example I can think of at the moment, as other players were either non-elite prospects to begin with or high-end guys that came over immediately after being drafted or 1 year removed. Filatov is in a class of his own in my books because he was (a) a Blue Jacket, and (b) physically outmatched. Tarasenko is neither.

Tarasenko turned down a big contract this summer in order to come over to the NHL, even with the risk of a lockout. That has to count for something and shows commitment.

Personally, although I am a Tarasenko owner so you can take it for what it's worth, I think he will thrive at the NHL level. And he likely isn't worth trading because there's a good chance that his trade value doesn't match his real potential in terms of offensive output for a fantasy team.

Dobber Sports Giant

As far as I'm concerned, this is the perfect time to put out feelers toward acquiring this guy. The hype machine has been running on this guy - and rightly so - for some time now, so chances are tht if you tried to acquire him in the past few months the price was exorbitant.

Now is a great opportunity to gauge how his owner might be feeling about his potential concussion, NHL future etc.

Play off the fears, get a good price, acquire yourself a young stud.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

any russian is a gamble imo, but id definently love to own a few. i wouldnt be to worried about the concussion as there is no way to tell how serious it was/is.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    The problem is that violent collisions can happen to anyone, so even if a player has no history, he is one hit away from moving to the top of the risk list.
    yup. this is the simple truth. and guys with past histories aren't necesarilly at any greater risk moving forward. as far as tarasenko goes, the only prospect that i would rather have is yakupov and maybe huberdeau. maybe.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Tarasenko is one of the most complete prospects in hockey right now IMO.

Granted it wouldn't be an easy decision, I would rather own him than both Yakupov and Huberdeau in any roto format.

Might be different in a points only, for the first few years anyways..but if Brad Boyes can score 70+ points in STL with almost no help (08-09), I don't see why Tarasenko won't be able to surpass those numbers with their current lineup.

He has been dominant in the KHL so far this year with 11 points, 6 of them goals, in 6 games.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by StrongArms View Post
    Tarasenko is one of the most complete prospects in hockey right now IMO.

Granted it wouldn't be an easy decision, I would rather own him than both Yakupov and Huberdeau in any roto format.

Might be different in a points only, for the first few years anyways..but if Brad Boyes can score 70+ points in STL with almost no help (08-09), I don't see why Tarasenko won't be able to surpass those numbers with their current lineup.

He has been dominant in the KHL so far this year with 11 points, 6 of them goals, in 6 games.
    I agree with your first sentence and strongly disagree with your second.

Anyway, long story short... Tarasenko is a tremendous prospect and one of the few Russian prospects I'm not worried about.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I agree with your first sentence and strongly disagree with your second.

Anyway, long story short... Tarasenko is a tremendous prospect and one of the few Russian prospects I'm not worried about.
    I know ill get a lot of crazy eyed looks and most people will disagree, but I live in Sarnia and watched Yakupov play for the Sting many times.

Definitely a high end prospect by all means, but when I watch both Yakupov and Tarasenko play, I see Yakupov with a Semin type skill set and I see Tarasenko with a Kovalchuk type skill set. Take away Semins attitude, drive, passion for the game etc...im not talking about that, but more so his shot, the way he skates with the puck and the way he sees the ice. Tarasenko funny enough is playing with Kovalchuk in the KHL right now and their chemistry is amazing. They have a very similar style of game, an excellent shot and explosive skating.

Down the road in fantasy hockey, I want the player who's going to be contributing in all cats. Tarasenko will be that multi cat stud that people crave on their Roto teams.

Administrator

I know ill get a lot of crazy eyed looks and most people will disagree, but I live in Sarnia and watched Yakupov play for the Sting many times.

Definitely a high end prospect by all means, but when I watch both Yakupov and Tarasenko play, I see Yakupov with a Semin type skill set and I see Tarasenko with a Kovalchuk type skill set. Take away Semins attitude, drive, passion for the game etc...im not talking about that, but more so his shot, the way he skates with the puck and the way he sees the ice. Tarasenko funny enough is playing with Kovalchuk in the KHL right now and their chemistry is amazing. They have a very similar style of game, an excellent shot and explosive skating.

Down the road in fantasy hockey, I want the player who's going to be contributing in all cats. Tarasenko will be that multi cat stud that people crave on their Roto teams.
    Semin is actually said by many to have the best shot in the world. It is his attitude and game-to-game consistency that prevents him from using it often enough.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Everyone is entitled to their opinions so I won't argue with you, but with Yakupov all it took was seeing one wrister from him for me to know he's going to be an all-star. Doesn't hurt that he's point per game in the KHL as an 18 year old playing 2nd line minutes with shit linemates and 2nd PP time.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I am one who actually believes Semin has the best wrist shot in the game. Definitely don't disagree with that.

And Yakupov certainly has a wicked shot too. Again, don't take this as me saying he's not good or anything.

I just see Tarasenko being more valuable in a Roto league.
    Last edited by StrongArms; October 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM.