Thread: No Lockout needed

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default No Lockout needed

I thought I had heard a while back (a few months) that should both sides not agree on a new CBA, that there was some sort of rider in the expiring CBA to prevent another lockout. I had heard that both sides could agree to start the season as to not lose revenue as negotiations continued. So essentially it would be like an employer allowing workers to continue working without a contract and then once a new contract is agreed upon there would be a make up of money going either way depeinding on how the financial aspects work out.

I know that does not address how long negotiations could continue into the season but can anyone confirm or deny this? It would've made sense after the last lockout to take measures to prevent the same thing again.
    12 team Dynasty league: 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 1util 5BN 3IR
    G A PPP SHP +/- SOG FOW PIM Hits Blocks W GAA SV% SV SO
    C: Spezza Vermette Weiss E. Staal B. Richards
    LW: Higgins, J. Jokinen Neal Parise Ennis Marleau
    RW: Brouwer Knuble Parenteau Pominville Purcell Voracek
    D: Byfuglien Corvo Giordano Hamonic Lydman Robidas Peckham
    G: Anderson Luongo Rinne

Farm: Coyle Geoffrion Gragnani Nyquist Jeffrey Hamilton

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy33200 View Post
    I thought I had heard a while back (a few months) that should both sides not agree on a new CBA, that there was some sort of rider in the expiring CBA to prevent another lockout. I had heard that both sides could agree to start the season as to not lose revenue as negotiations continued. So essentially it would be like an employer allowing workers to continue working without a contract and then once a new contract is agreed upon there would be a make up of money going either way depeinding on how the financial aspects work out.

I know that does not address how long negotiations could continue into the season but can anyone confirm or deny this? It would've made sense after the last lockout to take measures to prevent the same thing again.
    Bettman already said there will be a lockout if there is no deal by Sept 15.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ok. Forgive my ignorance
    12 team Dynasty league: 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 1util 5BN 3IR
    G A PPP SHP +/- SOG FOW PIM Hits Blocks W GAA SV% SV SO
    C: Spezza Vermette Weiss E. Staal B. Richards
    LW: Higgins, J. Jokinen Neal Parise Ennis Marleau
    RW: Brouwer Knuble Parenteau Pominville Purcell Voracek
    D: Byfuglien Corvo Giordano Hamonic Lydman Robidas Peckham
    G: Anderson Luongo Rinne

Farm: Coyle Geoffrion Gragnani Nyquist Jeffrey Hamilton

Dobber Sports Veteran

Ok. Forgive my ignorance
    Easy to miss that bit of hockey news in the middle of August.

Bettman says "...and the owners are not prepared to operate under this collective bargaining agreement for another season..."

Bettman means: "We want the players beginning to sweat without pay cheques so that we can really get the deal we want."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Last time a players union under Donald Fehr tried that trick, they went on strike right before the playoffs. No way Bettman and the owners are willing to give the players that much leverage when right now they have basically none.
    20 team H2H keeper. Keep 10. Now drafting...
    Start 2C, 2L, 2R, 2W, 2F, 4D, 1G daily
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG and W,GAA,SV%,SO

C: Getzlaf, Zetterberg, Mueller, Gerbe
    L: Parise, Elias, Prust, Pouliot
    R: Gaborik, Briere, Clarkson, Brouwer
    D: Weber, Yandle, E. Johnson, Zidlicky
    G: Howard, Gustavsson, Fasth

Farm: Toffoli, Tatar, Lehner, Josi

Dobber Sports Star

I could be wrong, but I think there is a clause in the now expiring CBA which says that they can continue forward with the same CBA for another year if they don't have the time to hammer out a new deal. However, in order for that clause to kick in, both sides have to agree. Clearly, the owners aren't willing to kick in that clause, hence the lockout.

Rylant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think there is a clause in the now expiring CBA which says that they can continue forward with the same CBA for another year if they don't have the time to hammer out a new deal. However, in order for that clause to kick in, both sides have to agree. Clearly, the owners aren't willing to kick in that clause, hence the lockout.

Rylant
    I'm pretty sure any CBA can continue past the deadline if both sides agree to it.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah, and as long as progress is being made I think the owners will be stupid to enforce their lockout. I can't tell you how much I hate Bettman and the owners right now. Sure, they fund the league, but with a lot of the money that we the fans send their way.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak