Thread: Red Wings inquire on Keith Yandle

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Red Wings inquire on Keith Yandle

Obviously just preliminary talks so nothing to write home about, but damn the thought of Yandle in Detroit would be crazy!

Yandle over Bouwmeester

A report out of Calgary last week had the Red Wings offering Valtteri Filppula, Jonathan Ericsson and a prospect to the Flames for Jay Bouwmeester. But it seemed like wishful thinking, at best.

Even disregarding the value of Filppula and Ericsson to the Red Wings, Bouwmeester is in the conversation mostly because of his disappointing play for the Flames.

He does not play physically, especially not up to his ample size, and his offensive skills have waned.

Bouwmeester is, in sum, a drastically overpaid, veteran defenseman capable of soaking up an average of 22 minutes.

As much as the Red Wings need help, it is doubtful they would trade prized scoring and playmaking, a developing young defenseman and more, for Bouwmeester.

And the Flames are unlikely to part with Bouwmeester for much less.

Meanwhile, with two recent injuries and also failing to acquire defensemen this summer, the Flyers are likely to compete with the Red Wings for Bouwmeester, keeping the price high.

A far more attractive acquisition through a big trade is Keith Yandle, the young mainstay for the Coyotes, who is signed through 2016.

Yandle combines developing defensive skills with advanced scoring and playmaking abilities, and he clearly is among the top young defensemen in the NHL.

It would cost the Red Wings considerably to acquire him. But Yandle, who turns 26 next month, is far more worthy of it than Bouwmeester.

The Red Wings have inquired about Yandle. But what complicates their pursuit is the perilous ownership situation in Phoenix.

If the current arrangement collapses this summer, the NHL may opt to kill the franchise and hold the first dispersal draft in 21 years to divvy up the roster.

The Red Wings might have to trade for Yandle, first, or risk losing him.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-current-state

Dobber Sports Demi-God

If the current arrangement collapses this summer, the NHL may opt to kill the franchise and hold the first dispersal draft in 21 years to divvy up the roster.

I can't even focus on the Yandle to DET speculation.
    How on earth would the NHL decide it would be wise to have a dispersal draft and go to a 29-team league?

I can't even remember the last time a professional sports league operated smoothly with an odd number of teams. I know the NHL had 21 teams until San Jose came along in 1991.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

I can't even focus on the Yandle to DET speculation.
    How on earth would the NHL decide it would be wise to have a dispersal draft and go to a 29-team league?

I can't even remember the last time a professional sports league operated smoothly with an odd number of teams. I know the NHL had 21 teams until San Jose came along in 1991.
    1. Yandle to DET would be great (for Yandle fantasy owners and DET fans) but they'd have to pay a big price tag to get him.

2. A dispersal draft is HIGHLY unlikely. I just can't see it happening but I have to admit it would be fun to watch and see who "your" team lands....if anything I think they should kill PHO and another dud team...oh say CBJ! then hold a dispersal draft of their players/picks...
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by kenzle1r View Post
    1. Yandle to DET would be great (for Yandle fantasy owners and DET fans) but they'd have to pay a big price tag to get him.

2. A dispersal draft is HIGHLY unlikely. I just can't see it happening but I have to admit it would be fun to watch and see who "your" team lands....if anything I think they should kill PHO and another dud team...oh say CBJ! then hold a dispersal draft of their players/picks...

Both franchises should be folded to make it a 28 team league. I am partial to Phoenix-- I like them-- but it's not fair to their players.

Columbus is a joke. Howson is not a good GM, the team sucks at developing talent, and simply put the city of Columbus will never, ever, ever be an attractive destination for a top NHL player. They will never compete in this league and having players like Johansen and Murray there is terrible for their development. Cut the losses. A redispersal would up the level of play in the league, increase revenues for the 28 teams that stay, and eliminate the NHL bottom feeders.

Dobber Sports Genius

There wont' be a contraction in the league. If I know Bettman like I think I do, he'll be too stubborn to even consider contraction as that would be an admission to his idea of the 90s failing.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Superstar

(crossing fingers)

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Immortal

If the Flames are trying to shed the cap then Im not surprised the declined it. Filppula makes $3 million next year and Ericsson's inflated puts him at $3.25 mil for the next two years...almost equalling what they would be shedding.

The Great One

2 teams folding = A hundred+ of players out of a job....good luck getting that through to the PA

The Coyotes are likely to stay in Phoenix, for this upcoming year at least.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    2 teams folding = A hundred+ of players out of a job....good luck getting that through to the PA
    This alone is why it probably will not happen. Relocation could happen in a pinch for the Coyotes just like it happened with the Thrashers. Bettman is just determined to keep the team in Phoenix.

On the Yandle front, wow that would be a great fit in Detroit.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

extremely great fit

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Detroit should not be making a move for a no1 dman right now unless it's a long-term no1 and they plan to rebuild. They clearly don't however. Yandle btw is more of a no2 imo, OEL is more of a potential no1.

Anyways, they'll be creating scoring problems for themselves if they make this movie. Their best bet is to see how Kronwall does with more responsibility and to also give Brendan Smith the chance to develop into a top pairing dman by giving him more NHL rather than AHL time.