Thread: To Drop Gonchar or not??

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default To Drop Gonchar or not??

I picked him up with my 5th round pick of the first years draft. Very dissapointed this year but looking to next year I have got two first round draft picks lined up so I'm in a position to really grab some improvements. There's Letang, Yandle, Byfuglien, and Wisniewski all left. I would have to spend one of my first rounders to land one of these guys but does anyone think Gonchar has anything left? I've had the chance to watch a little bit of Ottawa and he's been actually putting points up regularily, and they are actually winning some games. It sucks to drop your 5th round pick in a pool where you keep the players for 3 years but is it the right thing to do with D men like this left? I'm not sure..my friends all say he's done for but I keep hoping.. what do you guys think?
    1 year:
    Player stats: G, A, PMs, SOGs
    Goalie stats: SV, GA, W, SO

Forwards: D. Sedin, E. Staal, Vanek, Hall, Bergeron, Marchand, Lupul, Clarkson, Voracek, Tanguay, Stepan, Ryder
    Defence: Chara, Boyle,
    Goalies: Rask, Miller, Khubodin, Peters
    IR

Your other d-men are?
    @SmittysRant

Banned

um yeah I would grab one of those guys post haste, I'd rank em (without knowing your scoring)

Letang
    Yandle
    Buff
    Wiz

I'd still want to know his other d-men before recommending he drop Gonchar. certainly, he'd want to pick up Buff, Letang, et al...that parts a no-brainer.

Unlevel, give us your roster, and just to be sure, clarify the "drop up to six". Do you have to drop any? Is there a minimum?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

No sorry, you don't have to drop any if you don't want to. My roster is below. I'm obviously replacing Varlamov with one of my first rounders for someone like Price. Now would you give Gonchar the chance or spend my other first rounder on one of those D men. If I Keep Gonchar I can drop one of maybe JVR or Simon Gagne for someone like Ladd, Skinner, Grabovski, Couture, or maybe Tanguay. Not the greatest Offence left compared to guys like Letang and Yandle. What do you guys think on who I should replace first with my first round picks.

Roster

Goalie - Varlamov
    Defence - Edler, Gonchar
    Offence - H. Sedin, P. Kane, Rick Nash, Pat Marleau, Lecavalier, Simon Gagne, Hemsky, Penner, Cammallari, E. Kane, Derek Roy, JVR
    1 year:

Forwards: D. Sedin, E. Staal, Vanek, Hall, Bergeron, Marchand, Lupul, Clarkson, Voracek, Tanguay, Stepan, Ryder
    IR

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well it's pretty clear that you need to grab a goalie so with the one pick you have left you are asking how to spend it most wisely huh? Well I think Gonchar has lots left but he isn't going to be on the strongest team - I can see 40 points + if he is healthy all year though. You will get at least 10 points more out of Yandle or Letang for sure so that is the minimum gauge to use when looking at the forward option.

Gagne seems to be the logical drop at this point although I can see him turning it around a bit next season - Tanguay did. So are any of the FA that much more of an upgrade for next year and beyond over Gagne is the question.

I don't think so, with any certainty - although Skinner certainly has intriguing upside - owning Yandle or Letang will give you a solid upgrade over Gonchar for the next 3 years and that is the direction I would go because I am a believer in strong D in FH. But I wouldn't criticize you for going after Skinner - just a little more unsure there.
    Last edited by Shoeless; March 15, 2011 at 6:14 AM.

Yeah, I'm w/ shoeless. Skinner is VERY intriguing (Couture too), but i don't think I could pass over Letang or Yandle. Having Letang/Yandle and Edler would afford you great production and the peace of mind that comes with it for a long time.

Good luck, unlevel. Welcome to the boards, man.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Smile

Thanks for the opinions and putting it into perspective.. Thats how I felt too, throwing Gagne away in the first round just doesn't give me much back in return, even with the players left that I am comfortable with (Ladd) it's still a roll the dice scenario. I'm going to spend my two first rounds on goaltending and defence, and then if for some reason people don't jump on the rookies then I will in the second round. I just refuse to believe Simon Gagne is done for at age 30, on a pretty good team, with one of his friends as his line mate. It's been a terrible transition for him from Philly but I think he's still got a few good seasons left. I will still have to decide whether or not to drop Gagne or JVR later. Thanks again guys
    1 year:

IR

Dobber Sports Sophomore

2 defence spots? What is this - fantasy football?

That should be on the off season agenda - add more defense positions asap

....and another goalie wouldn't hurt either

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Would love to add another goalie!! Great idea! Oh yeahhhh, the rules of our hockey pool dont allow it. Dont know what your rules are and don't care, mine are listed below and everyone that commented turned out to be quite helpful for me. Thanks for the input
    1 year:

IR