Page 38 of 89 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 48 88 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Dobber Sports Star

Ryan Miller is the first goalie off at today's morning skate. Expect him to start tonight.
    https://twitter.com/#!/BuffaloSabres...42113283567618

Default Devils @ Sabres - 2.14.2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ballsakic View Post
    Ryan Miller is the first goalie off at today's morning skate. Expect him to start tonight.
    https://twitter.com/#!/BuffaloSabres...42113283567618
    Indeed he will be! His 10th consecutive, in fact. Ehrhoff is out with an undisclosed illness. Consequently, Gragnani will sub AND be slotted on the first unit PP.

Oh...btw...and I realize this is a day late and dollar short, but in the event you are unaware, Adam was sent down over the weekend and Kassian got the call up. Probably not fantasy relevant, except for the deepest of multicat leagues, but there it is.

Look for Ennis to F-up some trap-D!!
    @SmittysRant

Sorry, gang, looks like Ehrhoff is playing. They must've hooked him up to saline drips all day and flushed it out of him (whatever it was).

Hope that didn't mess anyone up.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

Downtown Buffalo has character and class!

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/02/13/...cter-and-class

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Downtown Buffalo has character and class!

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/02/13/...cter-and-class
    Ha! Thanks, Ev, that is nice to see, but after 5pm and on weekends Downtown is a f-ing ghost town. Unless there is an event at the arena, then the pubs are all filled. Except SeaBar on Ellicott St.....place is always packed....best damn sushi I've ever had.

If you're heading to Buff be sure to check out the Allentown, Elmwood Village, and North Buffalo/Hertel Ave districts. Excellent variety and range of food, pubs and music. Lemme know, I'll point ya in the right direction (eg do NOT stay at the Adam's Mark Hotel)

Soooooooo, as long as I am here how about an update w/regard to tonight's game. Shall we?

Sabres @ Flyers - 2/16/2012

Enroth will be in net. I had him pegged for tomorrow night vs. Montreal, but my thinking is (a) Enroth needs to start one game soon, and (b) Sabres are not chasing Philly at #4 so it doesn't matter if we lose to them. Better to start Miller against the teams they need to beat (eg Montreal, Winnipeg, Islanders etc etc etc).

Personally, I'm not even worried about the playoffs. These guys - from the GM on down - are playing for their jobs. Ruff needs to go.

Leino will be on the top line with Roy and Pommer. I assume Ruff believes Leino will be extra motivated playing against his former team. Ruff also believed sending out Leino-Boyes-Roy on the first unit PP versus TBL was a good idea.

"We need pucks to go in for different people," coach Lindy Ruff said.

Wow such insight...

PIMs should be flowing tonight: Kaleta, Gaustad even Regehr or Weber.
    Points: continue to roll the usual suspects - Ennis this is his kinda game; Pommer Vanek. I see a three goal game for Buff with an outside shot at four, given Philly's play as of late + Bryz's inconsistencies.

High goal count in this one.
    @SmittysRant

CAUTION: RANT ZONE

I am so f-ing sick of Ruff. Enroth allows three relatively quick goals, Sabres blow a two goal lead...still first period mind you [correction: 2nd period]...and Ruff pulls Enroth. Why?

First, they're not chasing Philly in the standings so ultimately who gives a crap if they lose.

Second, now what? He's gonna start Miller for 1 1/2 periods tonight then tomorrow and Sunday at 12:30pm? Really??

Third, give Enroth and the team a f-ing break with your G***D*** obsession with constantly changing shit up. Let them try and battle back...hell Enroth hasn't played since god knows so let him try and battle it out. Maybe....Just f-ing maybe it will build some confidence in the guy, considering you bailed on him earlier in the season - you know the whole 1A/1B goaltending strategy??? Gave that a lot of time to work didn't ya?

...and then what happens???? Miller goes in, and philly scores. GENIUS!!!!

boom
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; February 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Default Random Thoughts - 2/20/2012

With the trade deadline looming and certain Sabres having increased their stock at the expense of the Penguins, I thought I would post some random thoughts (hence the title...)

• First, good win Sunday versus the [exhausted] Penguins. Probably one of the more complete games I have watched them play all year. Start-to-finish, special teams, end-to-end a solid showing.
    • Sell high on Roy.
    • Listen...despite Sunday's emphatic win, taken within the totality of games over the last five years, the perspective on this team hasn't changed. They are very inconsistent, lacking of unity and sound effort, and rudderless. Roy, Boyes, Stafford, Suckera and Hecht (years past) should get top billing in the apathy department.
    • Not to mention that when Drury and Brier were allowed to walk via free agency, Ruff fails to decide on a guy and employs the ever annoying and passive/aggressive rotating captaincy - despite Vanek, Roy, Pominville and Stafford all being available. Rivet walks in from the street; Ruff names him captain. Fine. But then Rivet and his vet presence are benched in his final year, yet Ruff still feels he is most deserving of the captaincy, but then is allowed to walk at year's end. When low-and-behold Pominville is somehow spontaneously infused with leadership abilities!
    • Point being: how do you expect a team to act w/any sort of consistency, assuredness and reliability when its coach is incapable of exhibiting such attributes?
    • And to whom does the blame ultimately fall? Regier.
    • The only thing he has succeeded in producing through a myriad of individual transactions over the years is the collection of a group of individual skaters who more often than not appear directionless and without passion. The anti-team, if you prefer. And one that has lacked an identity for some time now.
    • Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. (Sun Tzu)
    • Regier and Ruff clearly lack strategy.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Roy question for sabres fan. how has he looked lately? Did he just move up to the 1st line recently? if so can you tell me when?

I'm hesitating picking him up so would like more info on what to expect from him.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by the watcher View Post
    Roy question for sabres fan. how has he looked lately? Did he just move up to the 1st line recently? if so can you tell me when?

I'm hesitating picking him up so would like more info on what to expect from him.

It's a good question and as an owner I'm anxious to hear the answer. I saw the 1st period of the Pens game and he looked great, was all over the place and made a really nice move on his first goal going to the backhand.

He's quite streaky, I believe, so really hoping this launches him on one of his streaks, just in time for fantasy playoff time.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Quote Originally Posted by the watcher View Post

Interesting point of view - the buyer. Most GMs are wondering when to unload; we tend to forget the other side of that coin.

Good question, watcher, I'll see if I can lend some insight. First, Ruff stuck him on the top line some four/five games back - let's say five. In his last five, Roy has had five points. Sounds impressive, right? Let's look a little closer.

Put the last three games (Feb 16, 17, and 19) aside for a moment. In the 16 games prior to Thurs, Feb 16th's contest versus the Flyers, Roy had one assist and four points total in that span of games.

That's what ya get w/ Roy, inconsistency (there's a reason Shoeless has turned into a habitual opioid abuser...kidding...kinda).

We need to take that into consideration when determining his value as a potential buyer. The above, and Ruff's tendencies to switch up lines faster than M.I.A can flip 50 million viewers the bird is why you are cautious in attempting to acquire Roy.

In your case, more info is necessary. Is he sitting on the waiver wire, or are you thinking trade? One year or keeper? What role do you expect him to play?

My nutshell answer, w/out knowing the above:

I make a move on Roy if my dynasty team has a lot of shite players - rebuild perhaps - and I want to take a high risk waiver gamble, in the hopes the Sabres trade him whereby he finds new life on a new team.

I also pick him up off waivers if I am gearing up for the playoffs and am worrying about my injured riddled team - assuming my league has IR available. A support role is the best option. As I see it.

I do not recommend trading for Roy, with the exception of one possible scenario: You are the rare breed who enjoys high risk/moderate reward, and can get him for no more than say a third rounder (in a 12 team dynasty league).

That's my take....hope that helps.

EDIT: anyone know a copy editor? closure vs closer...good god.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; February 20, 2012 at 7:46 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Interesting point of view - the buyer. Most GMs are wondering when to unload; we tend to forget the other side of that coin.

Good question, watcher, I'll see if I can lend some insight. First, Ruff stuck him on the top line some four/five games back - let's say five. In his last five, Roy has had five points. Sounds impressive, right? Let's look a little closer.

Put the last three games (Feb 16, 17, and 19) aside for a moment. In the 16 games prior to Thurs, Feb 16th's contest versus the Flyers, Roy had one assist and four points total in that span of games.

That's what ya get w/ Roy, inconsistency (there's a reason Shoeless has turned into a habitual opioid abuser...kidding...kinda).

We need to take that into consideration when determining his value as a potential buyer. The above, and Ruff's tendencies to switch up lines faster than M.I.A can flip 50 million viewers the bird is why you are cautious in attempting to acquire Roy.

In your case, more info is necessary. Is he sitting on the waiver wire, or are you thinking trade? One year or keeper? What role do you expect him to play?

My nutshell answer, w/out knowing the above:

I make a move on Roy if my dynasty team has a lot of shite players - rebuild perhaps - and I want to take a high risk waiver gamble, in the hopes the Sabres trade him whereby he finds new life on a new team.

I also pick him up off waivers if I am gearing up for the playoffs and am worrying about my injured riddled team - assuming my league has IR available. A support role is the best option. As I see it.

I do not recommend trading for Roy, with the exception of one possible scenario: You are the rare breed who enjoys high risk/moderate reward, and can get him for no more than say a third rounder (in a 12 team dynasty league).

That's my take....hope that helps.

EDIT: anyone know a copy editor? closure vs closer...good god.
    wow that is a very detailed response.

so first off i'm in a one year roto pool. i would be picking up roy from FA. other notable FAs are tanguay, brian little, deharnais. note that i only have a few moves left for the season so i rather not waste a pick.

I been reading threads on this forum all year on ppl waiting for him to break out but i don't know if he ever got a chance on that first line. i know he's been inconsistent before but i'm hoping there is chemistry and consistency in reforming that top line. but i guess its a huge gamble for consistency

Default Islanders @ Sabres - 2.21.2012

First things first, I have to finish my response to The Watcher's inquiry with regard to grabbing Roy off the waiver. Watcher, at this point, with the majority of the season under the bridge, no, i would not grab Roy off waivers in a roto league - especially one with limited moves. Just not consistent enough. That said, I would keep my ear to the pavement, listening for any trades. If Roy is moved, I would pounce.

So tonight the Islanders roll into town. Islanders seem to match up well against their hosts (almost too well). Sabres won the last meeting in a shootout, but overall are 3-5-2 versus the Isle of Long-ness (??). Miller in net tonight for the Sabres, with Montoya reportedly starting for the Isles (Nabby with the flu? I think?).

McCormick still out so look for Zach The Hammer Kassian. Local fans are so impatient with this kid, with no idea what it takes for a power forward to develop into a star player. We all want Lucic...NOW!! The whining would be funny were it not so utterly ignorant.

Off point, but one of the local morning radio hosts is now advocating going after Carter instead of Nash. Great just what the Sabres need, another overpaid/under achieving hump. I am convinced sports media types talk only to hear the sound of their voice.

Roy - 32 pts/yr. Vanek - 45pts/yr.

Ruff heard on air this morning praising his relationship with Roy and saying that it's up to him toproduce, he knows what he has to do, they have a father/son type relationship, it's all good...blah-blah-blah...

....same interview goes on to say how he's had it w/Vanek and his penalties (Ruff benched Vanek last Friday versus the Canadiens), he's not giving him anymore rope. Really, Lindy?!? Vanek has 13 more points than your supposed #1 center, and you feel he needs to be taught a lesson????

File that under reason #2,105,347 why I want Ruff fired.

Speaking of rope...when was the last time Stafford was a healthy scratch?

Last edited by Bomm Bastic; February 21, 2012 at 2:52 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

Added Roy before his recent output. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Added Roy before his recent output. Keep it up!
    Good luck w/that, oh large cojone one.
    @SmittysRant

Default News & Notes - 2.22.2012

• Sabres move w/in six points of the eigth and final playoff spot, with a win over the Islanders last night.
    • Regardless, Regier should be thinking long term and not allow the team's recent success to blind him with false hope. And the games this weekend versus NYR and Bruins should not matter either. The ultimate goal is the Cup and this team as it exists is not good enough. Period. End of discussion.
    • That said....the more I think about it, the more I think Regier will move a d-man, as opposed to to a forward. Listen, Regier is ultra conservative by nature. He is not of the Yzerman fabric, prone to sell-off for picks and rebuild. Also, you trade from strength (defense). Sabres are weak at center so why would you move them?
    • Also the closer the Sabres inch their way to the eight spot, the less likely Regier will be to sell. It's just his M.O.
    • Roy continues his recent run of points, earning two assist last night. In other news, scouts for Vancouver and Washington were in Buffalo last night.
    • Co-inky-dink? Color me impressed if Roy keeps up the productivity post-deadline (Monday) - assuming he is still a Sabre.
    • What would it take for the Sabres to snag Hodgson? Schroeder? or Eakin? Gaustad is drawing the most attention, apparently. File that under: Moves that Regier should be thinking about.
    • What would Ruff do to the career of a green player like any of the above? Not fond of how he is handling Adam so why would Hodgson et al fair?
    • Myers. What can I say? This kid is special and is only getting better. You'd be foolish not to own him, presented with the opportunity.
    • Coming off the bench, Myers follows behind the play into the Islanders zone, pinches in from the blue line, plants himself in front of the net, and boom! Goal.
    • Second Sabres goal found Ehrhoff planted in front of the net. No assist on the goal, but when the D pinch good things happen.
    • Myers - 5 shots; Leopold - 4 shots; Ehrhoff - 2 shots; Buffalo D-men collectively - 17 shots on goal.
    • Allow me to repeat that...Sabres D-men had 17 shots on net last night. Forwards are still inconsistent, but when the defensemen play like that they win.
    • In fact, overall, when the defensemen are all accounted for (see: not injured) Miller is 18-11-2. When any of the top-four are out, Miller is sub .500 (forget the stat line on that...sorry...eight wins I think)
    • So fantasy GMs be on the alert when considering Miller. Look at the health of the d-men, their play overall etc....

That's all for now....
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; February 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM.
    @SmittysRant