Page 35 of 89 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 85 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Default News & Notes - 1.05.2012

• Myers is cleared by the doctor, and voila! He's at practice Wednesday booming slappers on net. Should see the ice Tomorrow versus the 'Canes.
    • Get him in your lineup
    • My rookie d-man, McNasty (a/k/a McNabb...two game point streak) was named to the Western Conference All-Star roster for the 2012 AHL All-Star Classic. Kudos!
    • Pommer and Boyes had maintenance days Wednesday so were absent from practice. All systems a-go after Tues game versus Oilers.
    • Leino practiced in-full Wednesday and seems hopeful to return on Sat (vs Jets) or possibly next Tues (vs Leafs)
    • Ennis just needs to get some strength back in his ankle and the paranoia out of his head...I would think he'd be back Fri or Sat.
    • As Sabres heal and get their top guys back, look for them to go on a bit of a run. They're rested, chomping at the bit, and eager to prove their ability so a five game tear is not unlikely. If ya own 'em, start 'em.
    • After 5-6 games look for them to level off, and fall back into their usual inconsistent play. Ruff will be out of excuses, so it will be interesting to see how the media spins it.
    • I hear the Ducks are having a fire sale, and all are up for grabs. Media here keep talking about going for Getzlaf, but I'd rather have Perry. Yes, I know Sabres have wingers and are in desperate need of a center, but we also do not have a winger like Perry. Listen....to get either player the Sabres would have to give up a mint so let's go after the player that doesn't have the injury history. That's all.
    • Meh....who am I kiddin', I'd love to have either.
    @SmittysRant

Default "I really want to get Ryan going," Ruff said.

"If he's feeling comfortable playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to lean on him a little bit more and see if that helps him."

TRANSLATED: My team is healthy, I have run out of excuses for losing, and I no longer trust Enroth enough to start 20 games.

Enroth owners beware. I figured it was only a matter of time before Ruff reverted back to his old ways. Not saying it's a bad decision per se. Just sayin...Ruff has the patience of a chopping block (to borrow a phrase).

Again, as I stated earlier today, look for the team to go on a 6-7 game tear - as early as tomorrow, but no later than Tues the 10th. They will level off after that burst. Last year's second half run into the playoffs was exceptional, but it was just that...an exception.
    @SmittysRant

Default Sabres @ 'Canes - 1.06.2012

Alllllllllllllll-righty!

Swamped at work so let's make this quick, shall we?

• Miller gets the start - expect a lot of this (see earlier posts)
    • Myers starts - replaces TJ Brennan - even practiced on the 1st unit PP
    • McCormick - healthy scratch so look for PIM elswhere
    • That's the number of games since Sabres have posted a back-to-back win
    • Sabres are 11th overall while the 'Canes sit last. Should expect a battle from both teams...usually is when these two meet.
    • As i stated elsewhere on this site, Ennis suffered a set back with his high ankle sprain. He's back to week-to-week.
    • Leino is lookin' at Tues the 10th for his return.

In practice, 1st unit pp:
    Vanek - Pominville - Stafford
    Myers - Leopold

2nd unit pp:
    Boyes - Hecht - Adam
    Roy - Gragnani

Those lines should change three times by the end of the first.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

when a dude needs solid information, he turns to the guy who can provide that.

With that being said:

Bommerville, what am I going to do with Roy? I traded for him this year, and he's been disappointing so far. Trade h im, or is he going to help me win my championsship (currently 37 pts behind first).

Secondly, any information on Ehrhoff? Trying to trade him, but apparently his 50 pts as a D man, mean nothing since no one is interested, or want to screw me over hardcore for him.

Any suggestions for me? Thanks Bomm

Thanks, Dutch, appreciate the props....

Yeah....Roy, huh....well, everyone 'round these parts is fully expecting the Sabres to go on another winning bender like the one they had last year this time.

Everyone 'cept me, that is.

Now Roy is streaky. You know that, I know that. So as far as dropping him, I guess it depends on what's available to you. Put in perspective, he's on pace for 50pts, he's on-again/off-again from the power play, Ruff's got him on the first line....second line...who knows.

I think you wait for these next 4-5 games, when (I believe) the team as a whole will peak, wait for him to hit a spurt...then sell high.

Ehrhoff is out indefinitely...you might be stuck w/him. It's not season-ending, but it's not day-to-day either. Long term, I love him, but if this is a one year and something were available on the wire sayyyyy Justin Faulk (maybe) I'd go for it.

Hope this helps, brother, and good luck to ya. Love those Preds!
    @SmittysRant

Banned

Thanks Bomm! I guess I will have to wait and see another week or so...

Altho it is a keeperleague, I don't think I have room for Ehrhoff to be kept.

Best available on waiver would be Tyutin, or Leopold ish. Unless I go in a different direction, and roll 5 d and pick up either Gustafsson the goalie, or another fwd but nothing exciting available either...

tough position to be in, when no one wants a 50 pt proven D, kind of unreal really...

Sabres @ 'Canes - 1st Period Notes

• Great effort on both sides. Upd/down ice, fast past, crisp outlet passes. No *****-footin' from either team. Sabres need to play this way more often
    • Two teams that really need the win, you can tell. Who lasts the game?
    • Miller and Ward dueling saves. Great job by both.
    • Sabres d-men poke checking as 'Canes forwards enter the zone. WTF?!? You'll get burned.
    • Miller looks extremely focused. Has that "don't f*** w/me" look in his eyes. Good to see that.
    • Maybe his personality is such that he needs 70 games a year. He's a heady goalie...more so than most. I'm beginning to think he needs that heavy schedule to keep his mind from idling on the negative. More he's active the more focused he seems to be.
    • Sabres floundered in the waning minutes of the first. Better not be foreshadowing.

We shall see...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

Roy is hurt

Sabres @ 'Canes - 2nd Period Notes

• Roy exits early 2nd period. UBI will not return.
    • Sell now Dutch!!!
    • Missed the first two (and only) goals of the period. But good to see Faulk score (I own him) and Vanek tie it up (Sabres only true 1st liner)
    • Great having Myers back! Shows good puck control...knows when to pinch. Bastard is strong.
    • Second half of the 2nd Sabres beginning to fall back into their normal routine (ie no hitting, over-passing the puck type stuff)
    • 'Canes clearly out worked Sabres in the 2nd half of this period.
    • Why do they continually lack physical play despite Myers, McNabb, Regehr, Kaleta, etal????
    • Why do we still own Hecht?
    @SmittysRant

Default Jets @ Sabres - 1.07.2012

This is late, I know...probably too late, but I figured I'd throw something up regardless. Sorry, just been one of those days.

As far as last night's loss to the 'Canes, it's really just more of the same. Inconsistent play through the game, no secondary scoring, effortless at times...nay, lost.

Then there's Miller. Chad Larose's goal is really a prime example of the kinda goal that Miller was able to previously stop. And that really seems to be the primary diff between this and other more successful years....Miller (or goal tending, generally.

Sabres have continually had issues with goal production and secondary scoring. Even in the glory days of when the Sabres were making deep playoff runs it was Hasek who stood on his head during may a 2-1, 1-0, 3-2 (OT) win. And last year the issue of secondary scoring was a huge problem so this is not new. What is new is now the goalie (ie, Miller) is no longer bailing out the rest of the team.

So I really am not surprised at the current state of affairs, despite the fact the everyone in the local media seems to be.

As for tonight's game:

• Roy is out w/an arm/shoulder injury. Severity not yet known.
    • Leino is back (whether or not he wants to be) and he and Boyes will take some time at the center position
    • Kassian and TJ Brennan have both been returned to AHL affiliate. Sucks for Kassian but he'll have his day.

That's all I have time for going out this eve, so I won't be watching much (if any) of the game. Probably better off....
    @SmittysRant

Myers. Goal. Kid is the shit.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Sabres got robbed tonight by a crappy call by the Refs. The puck crossed the line when the whistle went.

Exhibit "A" for why the coach's challenge should exist.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Default Sabres @ Leafs - 1.10.2012

First of a home-n-home (second being on Friday, the 13th...muahahahaha). Sabres need to finish....blah-blah-blah....secondary scoring....blah-blah-blah...Stafford needs to....blah-blah-blah....you know the drill, by now.

Lines at practice
    Vanek-Hecht-Pominville
    Stafford-Leino-Boyes
    Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta
    Adam-Ellis-McCormick

Always leaves me erect when I see Hecht on the top line.

Should be noted that Roy has not been ruled out. Officially, he is a pre-game warm-up decision. Miller is expected to get the nod, largely due to Ruff's leanin' on Millsie speech of last week.

But that was soooooo last week, so who the hell knows (lol...don't I just exude confidence?)
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; January 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

Why aren't they reuniting Adam on the top line?

Quote Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
    Why aren't they reuniting Adam on the top line?
    Not certain really, I'd have to look at the numbers. He started off strong at the start of the year. Ya never really know with Ruff sometimes.

As for the first period of this Leafs game...

• Sabres are not playing at the same speed as the Leafs
    • Totally outworked
    • Someone needs to advise the players to pull their heads from their respectives asses. Vision is key to skating up ice out of one's zone.
    • Never realized how easily Stafford is moved off the puck. Maybe it's just tonight? Doubt it.
    • Sabres get one timers on Gusta...whatever the hell his name is...[I'm so pissed I don't even care]...need to create more trasffic in front of Lurch.
    • Great puck pursuit by Leafs. Color me jealous.
    • That pursuit directly lead to their first goal...via Stafford delay of game. Desperate attempt to clear the puck, and went over the glass.
    @SmittysRant