Page 9 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Canucks

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I've waited a few days before posting here again to let the frustration and disbelief pass. Both Canadian teams suffering consecutive losses, one team the heartbreaking kind, the other an embarrassing, make you want to go home and lick your nuts kind.

Now, that being said, as a lifelong Canucks fan, I still believe in this team and expect them to send the Hawks off to the golf course today. The leadership of the team is in some question and I think they will respond today. There are many individuals I see needing to step up but I think the fate of the game will be decided by the performance of two in particular. I believe Kesler will show why he's considered by many to be the 2nd coming of Trevor Linden and have an impact today. I also believe that Lou will finally exorcise the demons wearing the Indian Head. Again, it will obviously take a combined team effort, but the critical components are the two I have pointed out IMHO.

Go Canucks Go!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think the Canucks will be fine. We all get frustrated when our team is favored and appears to struggle, but nobody gets a smooth, cushy ride to the Cup, the struggles along the way are what makes the teams dig down deeper, the Championship teams find something, and its part of what transforms them into Champions.

The guys they're playing, are certainly no slouches, they're the defending cup champions, they no a little something about digging down and finding something extra.

I think as far as the "choking" label goes, the Canucks are getting a raw deal, the Hawks are a very good team, and the Canucks are in a battle, it'll be fun to see how it turns out!

Good luck!
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

This was probably one of the most disheartening loses the Canucks are going to experience in a while. How they bounce back Tuesday will say who they truly are as a team. If they can finally rally together and play like they did in the 3rd and OT, they'll win but if they play the lazy, mediocre, non-chalant hockey they played at times during the 1st and 2nd, they better be ready to book some tee times.
    13 Team Yahoo Daily Points Keeper - 6 Keepers + 1 Rookie Keeper
    G | A | +/- | PIM | PPP | SHP | GWG | SOG
    Wins | Saves | SHO
    2 C | 2 LW | 2 RW | 3 D | 1 Util | 1 G

C - Crosby, Seguin (RW), Forsberg (RW)
    LW - Duchene (C), O'Reilly (C), Boedker
    RW - Hornqvist, Toffoli, Yakupov
    D - Karlsson, Niskanen, Vatanen, Faulk
    G - Anderson, Mason, Stalock

Dobber Sports Sage

Rough weekend. Glad I spent it drinking beer, golfing and socializing. Pretty disheartening loss last night, and I believe I'll stay away from caffeine for the next couple days as my nerves are already shot. Hard to wrap my head around this crumbling wall.

The biggest issue I am noticing is that no one player is stepping up. The Sedin's are putting up their points, but they aren't controlling the play and playing with heart and desire that would in turn rub off onto the rest of the team. Kesler is playing good hockey, but it seems as though his desire to "control his temper" and not involve himself in the game within the game, is only holding back his generally much more inspired game. He doesn't seem to be skating with the same fire he usually does, I think that emotion needs to be let loose a bit.

Burrows finally scored, but could really be the goat in this game as he missed a wide open net which would have put the Canucks back up. I couldn't believe he missed it, especially just after netting one and getting his confidence back up. Pretty pivotal miss for Burrows and the Canucks, here's to hoping it doesn't come back to haunt them. Look to Burr to be skating with some desire on Tuesday night.

Cody Hodgson was good once again, but took an unfortunate delay of game penalty off of a backhand clear out his own zone. Vancouver was good on the PK.

Sami Salo left the game and didn't return. I didn't see the injury (I was still golfing in the first period) so I'm not sure of severity. I cannot find any news on him yet. Both Ballard and Rom are ready to go if Salo cannot. Look for Ballard to step in and play with some passion as he has been a healthy scratch.

I don't have much to say, as it pains me even to sit here and write this little bit! Gotta find a way to take my mind off of it until Tuesday night. Boy, the nerves aren't liking this little workout they're getting.

Fantasy Standpoint:

Daniel Sedin - 7
    Henrik Sedin - 5
    Christian Erhoff - 4
    Alex Burrows - 4
    Kevin Bieksa - 3
    Ryan Kesler - 3
    Alex Edler - 3
    Mikael Suameulsson - 2
    Mason Raymond - 2
    Jannik Hansen - 2
    Chris Higgins - 1
    Sami Salo - 1
    Cody Hodgson - 1
    Dan Hamhuis - 1
    Last edited by ridinryan44; April 25, 2011 at 3:34 PM.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Luongo will be starting tomorrow night, as per Mike Gillis. Lots of pressure on his shoulders, please Lou, please.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Cody Hodgson will sit in favor of Tanner Glass.

Keith Ballard draws in with Sami Salo injury.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

What an incredible relief to one hell of a stressful playoff series. Looking back, it was amazing hockey, though one filled with questionable calls, and maybe more so non-calls. It's a shame that the officiating has made such a big impact in the games and in the media, as it's detracting from what have been some pretty incredible battles. Unfortunately, I don't think it's necessarily as much the fault of the officials as it is the NHL. Referees get their instructions from head office and have to play by their rules. While they do have to use their discretion during the games, it's up to the NHL to display consistency and follow a set of guidelines in a responsible way. This has not happened. I'm not sure when it became more O.K. to throw an irresponsible hit during the playoffs than during the regular season. I hate the fact that I'm even talking about this so I shall move on to more important things.

The bad:

-The fact that it took 7 games to defeat the Hawks after going up 3-0 was disheartening.

-The Sedin's were pretty bad for most of the series. Yes, they led the team in scoring, but they never controlled the play they way they can. Vancouver is really going to need the brothers to step up and lead the team the way Kesler did. It doesn't necessarily have to be just on the scoresheet, but with effort and heart. The Sedin's were sloppy and inconsistent. Whether it was nerves or just poor effort, it's going to have to change to see success. Nashville has the ability to shut them down.

-Goaltending. While Luongo came through in the end, and didn't really look all that bad during the series, save a couple of games, the controversy that has arisen with the start that Schneider got and immense amount of media and fan pressure on Luongo is a whole new game within the game. Mental toughness is going to be key for Luongo. He is their man, and needs to play like it.

-Effort. Games five and six were horrific. A lack of urgency, chemistry and effort were apparent in the two big losses. This is the playoffs and a team cannot lose that effort for even a game. Far too much riding on this year's results for Vancouver.

-Sami Salo. Perhaps Vancouver's steadiest defenceman. It is arguable, but Salo has a calming influence on the team, and his accurate cannon of a shot is sorely missed on the second PP unit alongside Edler. He is a veteran and his leadership, though quiet, is a big part of the Canucks. I'd like to see Salo back and Ballard in for Alberts.

The Good:

-The Exorcism. While it was awfully nerve-racking to watch this team crumble, coming back from 3 consecutive losses with two heart-felt efforts was both important and good to see. Beating Chicago in general, let alone under such pressure, is a huge character win for Vancouver and one that can give a team that confidence they need to push through anything. We're gonna be tired, but it's a gym tired, not a hung-over tired. Through the regular season Vancouver was able to win in every situation. Come-backs and fighting through diversity was a big part of the President's Trophy winning season. A little more can only be a good thing, right?

-Luongo in game 7. How necessary was a statement win? I think he could have saved that Toews goal in the last 1:30, but he made a choice on that puck going up, or staying on the ice. While he wasn't tested too much during the night, he made some huge stops including one on Patrick Kane off his mask/shoulder, and one on Patrick Sharp in OT on the PK. Statement made.

-Chris Higgins and Jannik Hansen. Hansen was a spark plug all series. Kesler-like effort was evident and his drive was second-to-none. 2 big goals to start the series made Hansen the MVP of this series, even over Kesler. Higgins was also pleasantly consistent and looks better every game. He's starting to drive to the net more and if he continues to use his big body it will bode well against a big Nashville team. Look for some more scoring from Higgins as he's due to be rewarded.

-Alex Edler. What more can be said about this guy? 3 points and our best defenceman all series. His physical play helped control an always dangerous Kane and brought fire to the team. Looking forward to many years of watching Alex Edler. Get this kid signed now, again, for another four years!

-Refereeing/League. As fans, and I'm sure as coaches and players, all we can ask for is consistency. That isn't happening. Every game there is questioning of calls, and no one knows what to expect. This HAS to change, or the league and its officials will continue to get shit on and GM's will make stupid comments regarding the issue.

Don't Forget:

-Mike Gillis. For getting the refs to even out the penalties and not call some obvious infractions. In reality, I think the refereeing was pretty poor either way, but lately when is it not? Did his words have an impact? Kesler should have had a boarding penalty on Kane at the end of the third period. Luckeeeee.

Fantasy Standpoint:

Daniel Sedin - 7
    Alex Burrows - 6
    Henrik Sedin - 5
    Ryan Kesler - 4
    Christian Erhoff - 4
    Kevin Bieksa - 3
    Alex Edler - 3
    Mason Raymond - 3
    Mikael Suameulsson - 2
    Jannik Hansen - 2
    Chris Higgins - 1
    Sami Salo - 1
    Cody Hodgson - 1
    Dan Hamhuis - 1
    Last edited by ridinryan44; April 27, 2011 at 4:14 PM.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Sounds like Salo was missing at practice tonight, so Ballard will play again. He was good in game 7 against Chicago and should bring the same fire. Aaron Rome may draw in for Andrew Alberts who couldn't move the puck worth spit in game 7.

Forward lines should stay the same. Sameulsson with the twins and Burr with Kes and Raymond. Maxlap will continue to center the third line between Higgins and Hansen and Torres will bring the body with Glass and Oreskovich.

Luongo will start. Surprise!
    Last edited by ridinryan44; April 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Confident showing last night from a team that could have come out flat after surviving an exhausting battle against the defending Stanley Cup champions. Vancouver never really appeared to be challenged, and based on the score, were probably lucky a listless Nashville offense was never able to get going.

-Luongo was solid last night, facing only 20 shots. I didn't get to see the third period, but I was worried based on Luongos "ability" to let late goals and to snafu potential shutouts. Big confidence builder for Lou.

-The Sedin's had lots of chances, but no finish. I'd prefer to blame that on the stellar play of Rinne as he managed to soak everything up and let out very few rebounds. Daniel is really going to have to step up as Rinne saves everything he sees. Can the Sedin's get dirty enough?

-Good to see Chris Higgins rewarded for his good play. He suits a third line role really well, potentially a small step down in what he has to face defensively.

-I really liked the lines last night. It's tough to see Burrows without twins as no one really clicks with them the way he does, but if Sameulsson can get off his ass and show even half of what he did in last year's playoffs then it will really work. Burrows and Kesler play with such energy and determination that between their relentless fore-check and the Sedin's ability to control the puck, the top two lines have a chance at wearing the opposition down.

-Add in Raymonds speed to that second line and you have one hell of a fast and gritty mix. Raymond was fantastic last night, controlling the puck much better than his past few.

-Ballard was a catalyst. He responded well to the healthy scratch, as he has in the past, and almost scored on a coast-to-coast rush, absolutely flattening Ryan Suter on the way. If Ballard can step up and play the way he has shown he can in flashes, Vancouver has some really good offensive threats from each pairing at the back end.

-I liked the penalty call on Ballard. I didn't see it until later in the night on TSN, but I thought it was too low. I felt he contacted the knees, or at least close enough to, to warrant the penalty. I don't mind protecting the players when it's that close, rather than not. Doubt Ballard gets that wrong the next time. It's the first time I've seen him get a penalty for that hit, he's usually very accurate.

-Patric Hornqvist had a rough night, taking three penalties and not getting any back. He took a hard dump in front of the net from Hamhuis and Bieksa which easily could have been called.

Three stars:

Roberto Luongo - Tested or not, he stayed focused under outside pressures. So important for his mental game.

Keith Ballard - Damn, I wish he played like that all the time.

Pekka Rinne - Sensational. I don't watch Nashville very often after trading away Weber in my keeper league. Pekka "Smother" Rinne? It has no ring to it, but that's what he did to the puck. So. Good.

Dont forget:

The face-off circle - A 61% face-off percentage for Vancouver helped them maintain control, which Nashville just could not get.

Fantasy standpoint:

Roberto Luongo - 5W/2SO - 16 points in my pool format
    Daniel Sedin - 7
    Alex Burrows - 6
    Henrik Sedin - 5
    Ryan Kesler - 4
    Christian Erhoff - 4
    Kevin Bieksa - 4
    Alex Edler - 3
    Mason Raymond - 3
    Mikael Suameulsson - 2
    Jannik Hansen - 2
    Chris Higgins - 2
    Sami Salo - 1
    Cody Hodgson - 1
    Dan Hamhuis - 1
    Max Lapierre - 1
    Last edited by ridinryan44; April 29, 2011 at 8:45 PM.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Lines will stay the same tonight according to AV.

Sami Salo is still DTD, but will travel with the team to Nashville.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Lines from practice this morning:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
    Oreskovich-Kesler-Raymond
    Torres-Lapierre-Hansen
    Glass-Hodgson-Tambellini

Hammy-Bieksa
    Rome-Erhoff
    Edler-Salo

Samuelsson is out and I can't find out any info on Higgins right now.... will update when I know.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

AV has stated that Higgins is fine and will play, practice lines may not be set in stone either. I'm sure Higgins will take his regular spot on the second line with Kesler and Raymond, and Oreskovich will draw into the fourth in place of Tambellini. It may be a game time decision between Oreskovich and Tambellini...

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Guru

Tambellini may have been a game saver on that Erat mini-break!

Good game for the Nucks! Bring on the Sharks/Wings!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Icon

Congrats on making it to the Conference Finals.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Sage

Well, what to say after what I though was a pretty bad series to watch. I love playoff hockey, but this series just didn't have the same feel. Between Nashville's ability to stifle and opponents offense and the magic trick known as "missing Sedin's", their seemed to be a real lack of energy from just about everyone not name Ryan Kesler. On a positive note, I can't say I was ever worried for Vancouver. Nashville was never able to get any kind of offense going and I never felt that Nashville had the ability to win the series. Not that they couldn't but even while playing poorly I felt the Canucks were, for the most part, the better team.

-How can I not start this off by mentioning Ryan Kesler. In on 11 of Vancouver's last 13 goals, one cannot say enough about Kesler's value to this team. While taking on more than he would have on the defensive side of things had Malhotra been able to play, Kesler has managed to carry the team offensively as well. I think Bob McKenzie said it best: "You can't overstate Ryan Kesler's dominance. There wasn't anything Kesler didn't do in Game 6 or the entire series. " At this point, Kesler should be the Conne Smythe favorite.

-Due to some concerts (System of a Down, ya baby, I'm going!) and another event, the earliest the conference finals can start is Saturday, and they will start then. Be it DET or SJ that moves on, the Sedin's will have to return to regular season form if they plan on competing. It's gonna take more than 2 goals a game to beat either team.

-The five day layoff should be huge for Vancouver. Depending on the severity of injuries hounding the team, a 5 day break is welcome, and necessary. Both Salo and Henrik should get some much needed rest.

-I couldn't care less if Sameulsson gets better.

-I want to see Edler on that first PP unit so badly. That was one well-oiled machine before he went down to back surgery. His return should spark some production. Not that it's been terrible, but it was much better with him running the other point alongside Erhoff. Scary combo with those two bombing shots on a goalie. A spark in the PP could be enough to get Hank and Dan running once again.

-I heard today that Eddie Lack had been called up to the team. I have no idea why. Experience a playoff run? Could it be an indication that, based on his amazing success in his first year in the AHL, that Vancouver will shop Schneider hard in the off-season? Secondary scoring alongside Kesler would go a long way for this team.

-Speaking of secondary scoring, I really like Chris Higgins. He's big and good with the puck. If he could return to scoring 20 goals in a season, he'll ber one heck of a cheap option for Vancouver next year. One year worth 1.5-2 mil sound fair?

-Bieksa and Hamhuis were fantastic all series. Both could be counted on defensively and Bieksa played with fire. Nice to see the chemistry and I see Vancouver signing Bieksa over Erhoff. Erhoff has been a defensive liability in the playoffs (never been great defensively, but still) but he and Edler have similar chemistry and Edler can be that steadier rock.

-I'd hate to lose Erhoff and see the Canucks trying really hard to keep both, but I just have this nagging feeling that Erhoff may be the type to chase the money. I'm not sure why, but it's going to take a small hometown discount if he wants to stay. He's fantastic on the PP and like I mentioned before, he and Edler play well together. Things are working for him in VAN so I'm of the biased opinion he should stay.

-Luongo was good. Luongo was even great at times, but he wasn't tested all that much either. I still don't have that confidence that he's going to stop the puck; I'm nervous on every rush. Something's going to have to change in the garbage goal department as this issue that has been hounding Vancouver all year (garbage and late goals) can be debilitating and game-changing.

-Jannik Hansen continues to be this Vancouver's unsung hero. Having the ability to play him in any situation is fantastic for a third/fourth line player. His days of being a fourth liner, though, are definitely over!

-Jeff Tambellini, drawing into the playoffs for the first time ever, had a potentially goal-saving check on Martin Erat as he broke in on a breakaway. Tambellini busted his ass all the way down the ice and caught up two a streaking Erat who had 4 steps on him at one point. He threw a shoulder into Erat, avoiding any risk of a penalty that a stick-check could have caused. Should be back for the first game of the next series, as long as (hopefully) Sameulsson remains out.

-The one really positive thing I can say about Vancouver's first two rounds, has been their ability to win. Whether we're facing a high octane offense, a stifling Nashville defense, horrible bounces, boring Sedin's or nerves, we are coming out on top. It isn't about how you win the Stanley Cup, it's just about doing it.

Three Stars

Ryan Kesler - Easy choice. I need not say anything. Except I just did. Oops...

Kevin Bieksa - May raise some eyebrows with this one, but his return to solid play is underrated. His physicality, mean streak, and two-way play has been outstanding. When he threw himself on top of the standing "pile" at the end of game 6 when Weber was literally manhandling Kesler (no seriously, he was lifting him up and down and shaking him like a rag doll, with ONE HAND) I was shouting "THERE'S MY BOY!!!!"

Chris Higgins - Some big goals, and timely one's at that. Can you say "sign on the dotted line, please?"

Don't Forget

Roberto Luongo - Hasn't been dominant by any standards, but he's shaken off flaky goals and a lack of shots to do enough to get the win....kinda like in the Olympics.

Fantasy Standpoint

Roberto Luongo - 8W/2SO - 22 points in my pool format
    Ryan Kesler - 15
    Daniel Sedin - 10
    Henrik Sedin - 9
    Christian Erhoff - 9
    Alex Burrows - 8
    Alex Edler - 6
    Mason Raymond - 5
    Kevin Bieksa - 4
    Chris Higgins - 4
    Mikael Suameulsson - 3