Page 13 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Canucks

Dobber Sports Sage

Sounds like Nolan Baumgartner could play tonight. Boy. Is that scary or what. I've always liked him enough but Game 7 of cup final? Yikes. Lot's of experience, but there's a reason he never stuck in the NHL. He took the skate this morning and I haven't been able to find a guarantee that he's playing. Could have been brought up in case Edler or Alberts couldn't go.

Tambellini will be playing.

I've also heard Edler will play, and that he and Alberts are fine, but I haven't heard if Alberts is playing.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369029
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Fyi

IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks again Ryan for the team coverage. I know there were some interesting thoughts posted by bOndon, Loch & others on the SCF thread postmortem so I thought I'd express some of mine here.

To start I need to say that I'm still proud of what this team accomplished this year. Yes, it was a tough way to go out, but still, it's been a hell of a ride.

As for the inevitable moves to come, I remain very confident in management's decision making process. I was really impressed with Gillis' methodical approach last year in the face of so much disappointment. I actually don't see a lot of alterations, considering our 2nd line was basically shot.

If I had a suggestion, it would be to get a big 2nd line winger with the brains & hands to join the 1st line as needed, someone fast & strong to break thru tough D like Nashville & Boston,perhaps someone in the mold of Horton. I know they're not easy to find, but I think it was a glaring hole.

On D, I know he was hurt, but Ehrhoff was tough to watch. I think Gillis will definitely keep Bieksa, as he's part of the core developed thru Manitoba. The consensus seems to be that Ballard will be dealt, but I wonder what a second full season with Bowness will do for him, as Rick has shown some success in helping guys rebuild their confidence (i.e. Bieksa, Alberts, etc.).

As for Lou, I'm trying to put my emotions aside a bit, same as Ehrhoff. I may be looking at this unrealistically or being overly optimistic, but perhaps a long playoff run was what these guys needed to see what it took to win and they can now take the next step.

I have to admit, I'm often guilty of thinking you need to cut the passengers loose and replace them with proven winners. That being said, I question whether we really need to move the underachievers or if we see if they learned from this spring.

Not really a deep look at things like the excellent articles pharling has been writing, but just some thoughts as I reflect on this season and look forward to the summer moves.
    There are 2 seasons, Hockey & Waiting for Hockey

Dynasty, 7 Teams, Pts Only
    35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    Start:1G,6D,12F
    G: 2pt win, 2pt SO, 1pt OTL
    5 changes/month
    Playoffs run with 1 lineup

G: Price,Fleury,Rinne
    D: Green,Phaneuf,Doughty,J.Johnson,Markov,Edler,
    Ehrhoff,Carlson,Pitkanen,McBain,OEL
    F:Malkin,D.Sedin,Kopitar,Perry,Datsyuk,Spezza,
    Cammaleri,Carter,Iginla,Savard,Selanne,Plekanec,
    Voracek,Hemsky,Burrows,C.Giroux,Backlund,Filatov,
    Couture,Paajarvi,Grabner,Connolly

Dobber Sports Sage

With a Bryzgalov signing looming in Philly, and not enough cash to re-sign Leino, could Vancouver look there to fill a hole on the second line? Can Leino play either wing, or is he strictly a lw?

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Master

Just some random thoughts on the Canucks for the coming season:

1) This could be crunch year for Vigneault. I think the failure to integrate an expensive player like Ballard (who I thought was solid this year) into his coaching strategy is going to count as a strike against him, and a big one should something similar happen next year.

2) Cody Hodgson: gotta play wing. He's the best all around prospect in the Nuck's system and needs ice time. Let's remember this kid was the top scorer at the WJC in 2009.
    The Canucks are locked up at center for the next 3yrs for the top 3 lines and Cody is a top 6 player. He's smart enough to learn a new position (anyway, isn't winger the easiest to learn?).

3) Tanev goes top 6... I don't see how it won't happen. Good skater, good positional, good passer. I also think the Canucks are going to be more active in scouting the so-called 'late bloomers'. The risk/reward is quite good.

4) Canucks add muscle. You can argue that they don't need to but guys like Glass don't inspire fear... A 4th liner with some menace and, ideally, a big mean d-man to partner with Edler (like Alberts, but good, and physical... and mobile..... and able to pass)

5) Bubble wrap. Injuries cost us in the finals so it is time to start protecting our valuable assets.... I suggest bubble wrap as those little foam peanuts are a hazard on the ice.

Dobber Sports Master

Default (caution, somewhat lengthy)

Angus remarked (via Twitter) about fans being ok with Ballard at 4.2mil vs walking away from Ehrhoff at 5mil+...

This is my problem with Ehrhoff:
    This post-season 24 d-men who played at least 10 games had over 50% of their 5-on-5 starts in their offensive zone.

As you would expect a number of these were your 'third pairing' d-men, say less than 15min/game TOI.

So if we take out the 3rd pairing guys our list is down to 18, of which 7 finished the post-season as minus players.

Ehrhoff was the worst of these being, on average, -1.98 for every 60 minutes of 5 on 5 ice time.
    The next closest was Douglas Murray, who weighed in at -1.40 for every 60 minutes at 5 on 5....
    Dan Boyle, at -1.27, was the only other person to break -1.00 per 60min 5 on 5, though to be fair he had a much lower offensive zone start % (51.4 vs 56.5) than did Ehrhoff.
    Boyle also outpointed Ehrhoff despite playing in 5 less games.

In the post season Ehrhoff was far from the Canuck's best defenseman and yet at 5mil + per year would be #1 on the pay chart. They just did not get that value out of him in the playoffs. The value he brings to the team does not reconcile well with a big contract.

At 4mil, just a step behind Hamhuis & Bieksa I say keep him... it goes past 5mil though and the money can be better spent better elsewhere.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Angus remarked (via Twitter) about fans being ok with Ballard at 4.2mil vs walking away from Ehrhoff at 5mil+...

This is my problem with Ehrhoff:
    This post-season 24 d-men who played at least 10 games had over 50% of their 5-on-5 starts in their offensive zone.

As you would expect a number of these were your 'third pairing' d-men, say less than 15min/game TOI.

So if we take out the 3rd pairing guys our list is down to 18, of which 7 finished the post-season as minus players.

Ehrhoff was the worst of these being, on average, -1.98 for every 60 minutes of 5 on 5 ice time.
    The next closest was Douglas Murray, who weighed in at -1.40 for every 60 minutes at 5 on 5....
    Dan Boyle, at -1.27, was the only other person to break -1.00 per 60min 5 on 5, though to be fair he had a much lower offensive zone start % (51.4 vs 56.5) than did Ehrhoff.
    Boyle also outpointed Ehrhoff despite playing in 5 less games.

In the post season Ehrhoff was far from the Canuck's best defenseman and yet at 5mil + per year would be #1 on the pay chart. They just did not get that value out of him in the playoffs. The value he brings to the team does not reconcile well with a big contract.

At 4mil, just a step behind Hamhuis & Bieksa I say keep him... it goes past 5mil though and the money can be better spent better elsewhere.
    I love Erhoff, and hope we keep him. He's a huge part of our PP, but I wouldn't be willing to pay him $5 million. At that pay grade you damn well better be able to hold your own in the defensive zone.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Master

For the sake of comparison:

Ballard was -1.80 per 60 min 5 on 5... almost as bad as Ehrhoff but comparing the offensive zone starts is kinder to Ballard. Ehrhoff, as mentioned, was given a generous 56.5% of his starts in the offensive zone... Ballard got a paltry 42.1%.

Ehrhoff is good but he is given every opportunity to succeed... the same I would argue has not been true of Ballard.

Note* these are post-season stats
    Last edited by Loch; June 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Good back and forth guys. I agree that Ehrhoff fits in under Bieksa & Hamhuis, so $4M would be fair, though it's common knowledge he could fetch more as UFA. As we all know though, Christian has been very open in his expression of appreciation for how the Canucks have utilized him. I'm optimistic he works the $ to stay where he's been respected and given the chance to succeed.

You raise a good point with comparing Ehrhoff's potential contract and his production to Ballard's. This may be a tough sell, but just because one guy has a slightly inflated contract he negotiated with another organization doesn't obligate you to re-adjust your own team's pay scales.

I say slightly inflated because I think Ballard is worth 3-4M when he's playing with confidence. I know I've mentioned this before and do not mean to hammer it to death, but I think a healthy training camp to work full time with Bowness from day 1 will reveal a different player than the guy we watched for the most part this year.

Dobber Sports Master

Ok, so my comment of being 'put in a position to succeed' in the post-season prompted me to look at the regular season numbers.

So, numbers to start:

HTML Code:
    NAME       	  Ozone%     GP	    +/-	  ES ToI/G   +/-per 
                                                       60min ES

KEVIN BIEKSA 	   46.1	     66      32	   18.07	1.61
    DAN HAMHUIS 	   49.7	     64	     29	   17.95	1.51
    ALEXANDER EDLER    59.6	     51	     13	   18.30	0.84
    CHRISTIAN EHRHOFF  61.5	     79	     19	   18.30	0.79
    KEITH BALLARD      44	     65	     10	   14.03	0.66
    AARON ROME         44.2	     56	      1	   15.22	0.07
    ANDREW ALBERTS 	   40.8	     42	      0	   13.50	0.00
    So, I don't claim to be an expert but it certainly seems to me that Bieksa and Hamhuis have the #1 pairing locked down.

Edler, Ehrhoff and Ballard are actually fairly even in their +/- per 60 min ES... and considering Ballard typically had a much lower Corsi QoT than did Edler and Ehrhoff (almost half) and a revolving door of partners I think it makes his performance look even more solid.

The offensive zone starts are also a massive advantage to Ehrhoff over Ballard... The average for the Canucks' D-men is 51.3% offensive zone starts and let's face it, Ehrhoff has been getting a sweeter assignment by far than Ballard.

If you adjust the +/- per 60 min ES to reflect the discrepancy in offensive zone starts then Ballard actually comes out ahead of Ehrhoff... and honestly that surprised me. (0.77 vs 0.66 after adjustment)

So yeah, Ehrhoff has put up the points and enjoyed a solid +/- this past season, but he's been getting carried by his situation. Someone might well over-pay for that, god I hope it isn't the Canucks.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Ok, so my comment of being 'put in a position to succeed' in the post-season prompted me to look at the regular season numbers.

So, numbers to start:

HTML Code:
    NAME       	  Ozone%     GP	    +/-	  ES ToI/G   +/-per 
                                                       60min ES

KEVIN BIEKSA 	   46.1	     66      32	   18.07	1.61
    DAN HAMHUIS 	   49.7	     64	     29	   17.95	1.51
    ALEXANDER EDLER    59.6	     51	     13	   18.30	0.84
    CHRISTIAN EHRHOFF  61.5	     79	     19	   18.30	0.79
    KEITH BALLARD      44	     65	     10	   14.03	0.66
    AARON ROME         44.2	     56	      1	   15.22	0.07
    ANDREW ALBERTS 	   40.8	     42	      0	   13.50	0.00
    So, I don't claim to be an expert but it certainly seems to me that Bieksa and Hamhuis have the #1 pairing locked down.

Edler, Ehrhoff and Ballard are actually fairly even in their +/- per 60 min ES... and considering Ballard typically had a much lower Corsi QoT than did Edler and Ehrhoff (almost half) and a revolving door of partners I think it makes his performance look even more solid.

The offensive zone starts are also a massive advantage to Ehrhoff over Ballard... The average for the Canucks' D-men is 51.3% offensive zone starts and let's face it, Ehrhoff has been getting a sweeter assignment by far than Ballard.

If you adjust the +/- per 60 min ES to reflect the discrepancy in offensive zone starts then Ballard actually comes out ahead of Ehrhoff... and honestly that surprised me. (0.77 vs 0.66 after adjustment)

So yeah, Ehrhoff has put up the points and enjoyed a solid +/- this past season, but he's been getting carried by his situation. Someone might well over-pay for that, god I hope it isn't the Canucks.
    Very nice! Cool to see some solid numbers on the situation all in one place. If we pay Erhoff anything over 4.5 I will be unhappy. I really like what he brings, and our PP will hurt without him, but I feel that 4.5 mil at a home-town discount would be the max I want to spend. If he were better in his own end I would be happy with 5 mil, but if you were to ask me who I'd pick between Hamhuis and Erhoff, were they both making 4.5 per, I take Hammy 10 times out of 10.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Well, after a brief hiatus from this specif thread, I have gotten over my fierce emotional reaction to game seven of the SCF, and finally managed to finish cleaning up after I lit all the garbage cans and smashed all the windows in my house. I am also out on about $8,200 worth of merchandise after looting my own house of all of it's most mobile valuables. I didn't get close to what I thought I would for my t.v. - damn.

This year for the Canucks has been one to go down in history. Huge accomplishments in all areas, from setting franchise records and leading the league in many statistical categories. Taking home a slew of awards, starting from the players all the way up to management, this year is one to remember.

I don't want to delve too much into the SCF, or the playoffs in general, as I am really torn on exactly how to feel about my boys. While I'm so proud and impressed at the about-face the franchise has taken, I struggle with supporting and defending some of the actions that have thrust this team into a mild form of infamy after their SCF appearance. I find it a real shame, after the effort both Burrows and Kesler put into to become different players during the regular season (and having real success with it), to revert back to dirty, win-at-all-costs methods that I do not support. At the same time, I can understand the emotions and the mentality that goes with winning a cup. I struggle daily on whether or not to involve myself in debates on the issues surrounding the team, as I really am not sure which side I stand on. I want to support my team, as I have all my life, but I also am rabidly against diving and dirty play. I can support and understand embellishment on "real" penalties, but I despise "faking it," which makes you look like a pansy, rather than someone trying to help his team. That's all I'm going to say on the subject as I try not to wallow too often in my sorrows after having such a tremendous year, and incredibly exciting run that featured exorcising some of our biggest demons, especially in beating Chicago. Instead of dwelling on the past, I'll focus on the future and what I think is to come for the Canucks.

Entry Draft:

First round pick : Nicklas Jensen

A Danish born player, Jensen can play either wing and has the size and goal-scoring ability the Canuck's are looking for. The Oshawa Generals were quoted as saying "he has a quiet intensity in him to step up and play in big situations." The Canuck's are in need of a big-game player, unfortunately they need it now! Jensen, a left-handed shooter standing just over 6'2 and weighing 187lbs, will most definitely play next year in the OHL after posting 29 goals and 29 assists in 61 games, in his rookie year with the generals. Jensen sees himself as a power-forward, but critics have noted that he doesn't bring it every game. His consistency needs to improve. I'm sure the Canuck's are hoping that Janik Hansen, also a Dane, will help instill a similar work ethic in Jensen, as Hansen is one of Vancouver's most consistent players in the effort department.

3rd - David Honzik/G
    3rd - Alexandre Grenier/RW
    4th - Joseph Labate/C
    5th - Ludwig Blomstrad/LW
    6th - Frank Corrado/D
    6th - Patrick Westerholm/C
    7th - Henrik Tommernes/D

Vancouver managed to address size issues by drafting only one player under 6'0. University center, Joseph Labate, comes in at a big 6'4, but lanky 180lbs.

I don't know a tonne about prospects, but am extremely excited to remind those in deeper keeper leagues about Anton Rodin, currently playing in the SEL. Rodin has shown growth in his development as a player, as well as in the physical side of things. Rodin has apparently added muscle and height to his small frame and is coming over to NA next year. He should have no problem taking a roster spot with the Chicago Wolves after playing with men for two years. Learn more about Rodin here.

Future Roster

Their are some interesting free agent possibilities that could interest the Canucks. If Raymond isn't healthy to start the season this will just add to Vancouver's need to find a true sniper to play with Kesler. They'll never be able to add that top sniper due to the salary cap world and extreme competition for such players, but a 30-goal threat is all Vancouver needs. Jussi Jokinen, Ville Leino, Ryan Malone are all types of players I'd love to add. A Malone type would be the most desired. Someone who can compliment Ryan Kesler's game, and not be afraid to take the puck hard to the net. Malone would add much needed grit, size and dirty goal-scoring ability to the second line. Jokinen would add the shoot-out element that Vancouver could really use, as well as 30-goal ability. Leino is more of a playmaker, but he appears to have 20-30 goal upside. A Malone trade seems to have legs as Tampa is in the market for a number one goalie of the future. Vancouver has that, but aren't going to sell Schneider for anything other than a guarantee win in the trade category.

As heard today, Bieksa has re-signed to a five-year, 23-million dollar deal. That's a cap hit of $4.6 mil, and while he was going to get that somewhere else, it's difficult to swallow such a long-term cap hit with a NTC for a guy who has had two really good seasons, his fair share of injuries, and one terrible season that had fan's calling for his head. While his fantastic mix of grit, toughness, puck-moving ability and his versatility to play up or down in the depth charts, Bieksa needs to take Dan Hamhuis out for a very expensive dinner, as Hamhuis plays a big part in Bieksa's confidence, thus his improved play and great chemistry between the two.

Erhoff talks are under way, and I have my fingers crossed the he'll stay for a pay cut and long-term deal. While he is liable to make major turnovers and is rough around the edges in his own zone, his quickness and deft ability to move the puck makes up for the mistakes. His powerful, and finally accurate shot, makes him extremely valuable on the PP. 14 goals from a defenceman is a big deal. I wouldn't be happy paying him $5-mil, he could get that on the open market, but I hope for a deal similar to Bieksa's. I think he'll decide to say considering the chance to win and his chemistry with Alex Edler.

It's been stated that the Canucks are also in discussion with Sami Salo over a new contract. I'm sure it would be very short term, even one year, for minimal money. Salo is extremely effective when healthy, but that health is a big question mark. With injuries playing such a vital role in Vancouver's success this year, should we even risk signing Salo again? Chris Tanev, a free agent signing, success story, has shown fantastic promise,and extreme composure. If Erhoff re-signs Vancouver will most likely start the season with Hamhuis-Bieksa, Edler-Erhoff, Salo-Tanev. Rome will most likely be re-signed on the cheap, as well.

I have a hard time buying into any Luongo trade rumors, but anything is possible. I waver each day on how I feel about Lou and his play. He's definitely a number one goalie fully capable of carrying a team to the playoffs with great numbers. His ability to absolutely suck, though, is frustrating and a big part of Vancouver's inability to win the cup. I can't remember the last time Luongo won a game for Vancouver. Yes, he has shutouts, but there's a difference between getting a shutout and earning one. Luongo didn't "earn" his shoutout's the way Thomas did. Biiiiig difference. Consistency and game-stealing ability is what Lou needs to find. I wish we had signed his old goalie coach, Ian Clarke, before Columbus had. I felt Luongo's best year's were under Clarke's tutelage.

At some point in time Schneider will be moved, barring an unlikely Luongo shocker. His value is immense right now, but will someone be willing to pay what Gillis is going to want? Whoever does take a chance will be extremely happy, but it will come at a price. Vancouver is going to have to be careful who they trade Schneider to, as an in-conference trade could come back to haunt them at some point. Will a trade happen before the season starts?? I doubt it. My guess is that management is extremely happy with Eddie Lack in the AHL and wants to get him as much starting time as they can before inevitably having him replace Schneider as Luongo's backup. I say they wait until a team really needs a goaltender and is in desperation mode. The return Schneider garners for Vancouver could very well be what puts them over the edge in terms of competition for the cup. They're going to have to do it right.

I'd love to see Vancouver re-sign both Torres and Higgins. Both players deserve a raise, and may be willing to stay for a two-year deal around the $1.5 million dollar mark, per year. I'd rather keep Oreskovich over Glass, as his play really diminished into the playoffs. Ballard is a must move, IMO, as good as Ballard has been about the situation and blaming no one but himself, this match was not made in heaven, but in purgatory. The waiting game cannot go on and a Ballard + Hodson/Schneider/other type package to upgrade on the wing is very attractive. Here's to hoping someone is willing to take another chance on the oft-traded defenceman.

Beyond everything, I was extremely proud of what my Canuck's have done this year! While losing out in the game seven finals of the Stanley Cup was one of the toughest things to swallow, it takes experience and perseverance to finish it off. Each year we get a little bit more of that and hopefully we turn it into a positive, learning experience. We'll come back that much better next year!

More to come, as more comes!
    Last edited by ridinryan44; June 27, 2011 at 7:09 PM.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Vancouver makes their deal official with the Chicago Wolves - Vancouver's new AHL affiliate with Manitoba moving to St. John's.

TSN article

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Max Lapierre has re-upped with Vancouver on a two-year deal worth $2 million. A 1-mil cap hit for great fourth line center who is great in the F/O circle is well worth it. Hopefully he doesn't piss me off too badly with the antics he's most widely known for.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Max Lapierre has re-upped with Vancouver on a two-year deal worth $2 million. A 1-mil cap hit for great fourth line center who is great in the F/O circle is well worth it. Hopefully he doesn't piss me off too badly with the antics he's most widely known for.
    Hahah...don't know how to feel right now...

One hand: Great signing
    Other hand: Utter dbag