Page 11 of 97 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Canucks

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey Ryan, great game to watch, probably more excitement in the first match than the entire series with Nashville, no disrespect intended to that hard working squad, I just don't find that kind of hockey very entertaining.

As I mentioned in the series thread, I really liked what coach V did with the Sedin/Burrows line in the 3rd, rolling them out every 2nd shift to rev them up and let 'em roll. As we hoped, the Sharks allowed more time & space for them to work. More importantly though, they finally got rewarded with some production.

The 3rd line was really strong, nice to see Raffi making nice plays with the puck as well as his physical play, some really nice passing on his part makes him way more dangerous than just being a pit bull.

One small change I really liked - Lou stopped trying to play the puck after his assist to Jumbo, he just covered up, even when he had lots of time.

On a final note, I love the interchange between coach V & Henrik near the end when Daniel had to take the defensive face-off with Hank on the bench. Apparently Hank told coach that Daniel & him should change jersey's so Hank could take the draw - good to see them loose & enjoying this and able to joke around under this kind of pressure.
    There are 2 seasons, Hockey & Waiting for Hockey

Dynasty, 7 Teams, Pts Only
    35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    Start:1G,6D,12F
    G: 2pt win, 2pt SO, 1pt OTL
    5 changes/month
    Playoffs run with 1 lineup

G: Price,Fleury,Rinne
    D: Green,Phaneuf,Doughty,J.Johnson,Markov,Edler,
    Ehrhoff,Carlson,Pitkanen,McBain,OEL
    F:Malkin,D.Sedin,Kopitar,Perry,Datsyuk,Spezza,
    Cammaleri,Carter,Iginla,Savard,Selanne,Plekanec,
    Voracek,Hemsky,Burrows,C.Giroux,Backlund,Filatov,
    Couture,Paajarvi,Grabner,Connolly

Dobber Sports Sage

Missed reviewing last game (and ice hockey) due to excessive beer drinking, celebrating the Canucks game one win over SJ.

Two solid wins for my boys. Both wins showed the calm that Vancouver has been able to play with all playoffs long. There's been no panic, even after getting down early and facing one bad goal each game. Character plays a large role in a cup run and we're seeing a lot of that from this team.

-Raffi Torres has been flying both games. He had a tough time controlling the puck and skating so damn fast in game one, but he slowed it up a bit and was much better with the puck in game two. He's being rewarded for his strong play, as has the entire third line.

-Chris Higgins is a shoe-in as a re-sign next year. He can't possibly demand too much money and he knows a second line role is a possibility. 1.5-2 is what I can hope for but a 2.5 mil 1 year deal isn't out of the question.

-Bieksa is in form. He's more than in form. This is the best hockey I've ever seen him play. Amazing what confidence can do for a player. Much like Mason Raymond, Bieksa needs a ton to be an effective player. Gonna be tough to keep both Bieksa and Erhoff next year.

-Another game, another bad goal. It comes down to winning, so who cares how we get there, but I can't help but feel that one of those bad goals is going to come in a one goal game and it isn't going to end up the way we want it. Lou needs to get this under control. His rebound control and play has been solid for the most part, frustrating watching the bad goals.

-The chemistry on this team is unmatched right now. Watching the difference between them and Philadelphia was night and day. So much skill in Philly, everyone on a different page. This may sound like a homer comment but this team really does give a shit about each other, and it's showing. It's not simply players doing their job, they wanna win together. Could make for a happy ending (no not that kind).

-Mike Gillis sweats a lot and has a double chin that could win a wet t-shirt contest.

-Cody Hodgson will make this team next year. The only tough part is a place to play. Does Vancouver try him on the wing? Is playing a fourth line center role good for his development? Hodgson hasn't done anything really well, he's simply been solid. No liability (some offensive zone turnovers) and has been making smart, safe plays. That's a good way to play your way on to a team. I'm hoping Hodgson can have an impact on the second unit PP next year, they definitely need it.

-Lapierre was hilarious last night, only if your a Vancouver fan.

-Again, this may sound homerish, but I don't get this idea that Vancouver has been getting all the calls their way. Anyone who watched the first round against Chicago (save the last game) would argue differently. I can definitely see my homerism playing into this, but I see bad calls everywhere, not just benefiting my team. There is a lot of Vancouver hate out there, sound like it's due to fanaticism, but it really is too bad. Vancouver is due for, and deserves to win the cup. They've been molding this team for years now...

-Tonnes of people will hate Bieksa for fighting Marleau last night, but it Marleau was completely game for it and gained a ton of respect for doing it. Only downside was Marleau was at 0% punches landed while Bieksa had to have been up around 95%. Hilarious. JR tweeted "If Sharks win the game I will definitely say it was because Marleau stepped up and fought Bieksa." Controversial and opinionated, but JR makes me laugh.

-Since the lockout teams who go up two games in the third round are 10-0. In general, 85% of teams go on to win the series.

Three Stars

Kevin Beiksa - Couldn't be anyone else. Howe hat-trick and our best player last night. Two of his three goals have been absolute snipes, even if he says that he's just closing his eyes and shooting as hard as he can.

Anti Niemi - I know, I know. Lots of goals, but made some absolutely outrageous saves. I had to recognize...

Raffi Torres - Energy. When his game is on he is so effective. Hitting everything in site and contributing offensively.

Don't Forget

The fourth line. Their forecheck has been great and they are not a liability. Nice when you can count on all your lines, it keeps everyone fresh. Big hits, speed and smarts make for a good combo. Gonna be tough for Glass to draw back in. I'd like to see Hodgson and Tambellini put up a couple points.

Fantasy Standpoint

Roberto Luongo - 10W/2SO - 26 points in my pool format
    Ryan Kesler - 16
    Henrik Sedin - 14
    Daniel Sedin - 12
    Christian Erhoff - 11
    Alex Burrows - 10
    Kevin Bieksa - 7
    Chris Higgins - 7
    Alex Edler - 7
    Mason Raymond - 7
    Dan Hamhuis - 5
    Jannik Hansen - 5
    Raffi Torres - 4
    Mikael Suameulsson - 3
    Sami Salo - 1
    Cody Hodgson - 1
    Max Lapierre - 1
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

With the news that Carolina may not re-sign Jussi Jokinen that brings up a pretty good LW option for Vancouver, that wouldn't cost them a player. Jokinen would be affordable and has 30 goal potential. Cycling Jokinen, Higgins and Raymond through the second and third lines could give some good options. Jokinen does have injury history but when you have other players who can fill in if he's out, the money and the fact he's "free" is intriguing. Food for thought...

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Ninja

LOL!...
    "-Mike Gillis sweats a lot and has a double chin that could win a wet t-shirt contest."

TRUE! lol. Love all your points, especially agree re:Lapierre, I hated him everywhere else but for some reason now I find him funny.
    Interesting point about Jussi JOkinen too.

Also random side note, I think I'm coming out West to Vancouver next week!! If the series goes to five games I'm gonna be hitting that up with my brother. Go Nucks!
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Sage

Sounds like Tanner Glass and ALex Bolduc may draw into the lineup for Cody Hodgson and Jeff Tambellini. A little more size and grit after the last game makes sense...

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    With the news that Carolina may not re-sign Jussi Jokinen that brings up a pretty good LW option for Vancouver, that wouldn't cost them a player. Jokinen would be affordable and has 30 goal potential. Cycling Jokinen, Higgins and Raymond through the second and third lines could give some good options. Jokinen does have injury history but when you have other players who can fill in if he's out, the money and the fact he's "free" is intriguing. Food for thought...
    Wow - I really like that idea....
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Sage

Tough game last night for Vancouver. The early penalties, and the fact that SJ used the time wisely, killed their chances early. Vancouver actually looked really good in the first period, once again showing the character this team has. I didn't get to see the third as I was busy filling the net at my own hockey game (yea right) but I came home and was ecstatic to see the comeback. Huge difference going into game 4 after scoring 3 unanswered goals in the third even if it was in a losing cause. Should see that energy switch to Vancouver to start game four.

-Crazy game. Lot's of running around and aggression. I didn't like the idea of bringing in Bolduc and Glass as I don't see the reason in changing a winning recipe. I'm no coach, though.

-Big loss if Erhoff is out for an extended period. Instrumental piece on the PP and leads the league in dman scoring in the playoffs. Hopefully it's not a separated shoulder as that's what it looked like with the way he was holding his arm. Yikes.

-Look for Ballard to draw in as he most resembles the game that Erhoff plays. Both are prone to turnover the puck in the defensive zone, but both have good puck moving skills.

-Chris Tanev was practicing with the team and will be another option, I don't see him playing over Alberts at this point.

-Moving Alberts and Ballard in for Rome and Erhoff is a good sideways move. Similar players, similar styles. Shouldn't be too much of an adjustment for the team.

-Special teams is the story of this series, as suggested before it started by the media. Spot on. SJ was 5/5 on the PP at one point. No more bonehead moves, Lapierre.

-Hoping to see Hodgson and Tambellini draw back in. Wouldn't mind if Glass stuck in, but I liked the Hodgson/Tamby combo a bit better.

I'll try to give more updates as I hear them, AV is being very quiet as to who will be drawing into the lineup. I'd bank on Alberts, Ballard. Fourth line is a mystery.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

The Canucks have signed Steven Anthony, currently of the OHL champion St. John Sea Dogs, to a 3 year entry-level deal. Anthony has been somewhat injury prone in his career and is currently hurt right now. His offensive instincts are good and from this report it sounds as though his two-way game has improved.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Sportsnet is reporting that it will be Chris Tanev and Keith Ballard drawing into the lineup. Alberts appears to be the odd man out...

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

After a horrid start to the first period, Vancouver was able to take the high of killing of 5 consecutive penalties to capitalize on three of their own. Some bad penalties, and bad luck, led to three two-man advantages for Vancouver on which Sami Salo and Ryan Kesler were able to capitalize. Once again special teams were the difference in the series.

-Luongo stopped 33 of 35 shots. He swallowed pucks and controlled his rebounds. Great game from Luongo, not much chance on the Clowe goal which was simply a great passing play and equally as good shot. Good confidence builder.

-Raffi Torres paid for it with a penalty, but was a wrecking ball out there. His energy is untapped and while he can cost the team, his role on this team is a big one and he plays it well. Big hit on Murray which isn't easy to do.

-Chris Tanev was fantastic in his first playoff game. The nerves didn't show and his chemistry with Ballard showed as they both had a pretty seamless transition back into the game.

-Sick hip-check by Ballard. Watching that one in slow motion is priceless. I'm glad McGinn wasn't hurt on the play. Couple turnovers but overall a solid showing.

-Bieksa was a stud out there. He didn't factor into the scoring but his rushes and defensive play were outstanding. He led the team in TOI with 26+ mintues.

-Hank took over the playoff scoring race with a team record 4 assists today. His 19 points are two more than a 4-way tie for second at 17 points. His pass between Niemi's pads to Burrows for their fourth goal was unreal. Hank has been fantastic all series and whatever was ailing him before seems to have disappeared.

-While you could say Vancouver's PP won this game (some will say the refs did it for them) it was really SJ's PP that lost the game for them. Five straight PP's to start the game and not a single goal to show for it is deflating. Vancouver couldn't muster anything in the first and the outcome would have probably been a lot different had they put a couple past Lou in the first. Bad time for the PP to disappear. It has been lethal early on in the series.

-Kesler hitting the ice at the end of the game was a total bitch move. Completely unnecessary and disappointing. Such a tough dude putting on a ***** display. I hate the fact we continue to feed the haters all this ammo. Since when is it cool to act like a *****?

-Burrows is quietly putting together a solid post-season after a slow start. His 12 points puts him in a group sitting in sixth spot for scoring (due to so many players sitting at the same points totals).

-Thornton took a hit from Torres (surprise) that put him out for the end of the game. Clean hit, poor outcome. Looked as though Torres shoulder met Thornton's head.

Three Stars

Sami Salo - After starting the playoffs with one point, Salo upped that total to four with a two goal, one assist performance. His two PP goals were absolute cannons, his second was sick. Nice to see him rewarded after taking over Erhoff's position on the right side of the PP.

Kevin Bieksa - No points, -1, but a fantastic game. He was all over the ice and was our best defenceman.

Henrik Sedin - 4 assist performances usually get you a first star nod, but the little things that Bieksa brought and two goals from Salo were enough to knock Hank down. This is just expected, right?

Don't Forget

Penalty kill - after a disastrous start, the PK has settled in and was the biggest reason why the Canucks won this game. Things were eerily similar to the beginning of game 3 and that was not a good sign. Good on the PK'ers to settle down and step up in a big way.

Fantasy Standings

Roberto Luongo - 11W/2SO - 28 points in my pool format
    Henrik Sedin - 19
    Ryan Kesler - 17
    Daniel Sedin - 15
    Alex Burrows - 12
    Christian Erhoff - 11
    Kevin Bieksa - 8
    Chris Higgins - 8
    Alex Edler - 7
    Mason Raymond - 7
    Dan Hamhuis - 6
    Jannik Hansen - 6
    Raffi Torres - 4
    Sami Salo - 4
    Mikael Suameulsson - 3
    Max Lapierre - 2
    Cody Hodgson - 1

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

From this morning's Province, "Erhoff was smiling and practicing, pronouncing himself fit and ready for tonight"

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Thanks to b0ndon for this info:

sportsnetmurph Dan Murphy
    Ehrhoff not expected to play - Ballard/Tanev stay in, Demers says he's ready but coach won't confirm. Maybe #38 for #49 or #15 on 4th line.

Ehrhoff wasn't out for the morning skate either

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Icon

Congrats Canucks fans... hope to meet you in the Finals.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just thought I'd throw this up here for 5h1ts and giggles.
    http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...916/story.html

Pretty funny stuff lol, Hodgson looks so much like Liev Schrieber its scary...
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Sage

Well, it's set. A Vancouver/Boston series is bound to make hockey fans happy. These two teams employ very different playing styles and both have the strengths that would be considered a weakness for the other...

-Boston is big, physical and mean. Vancouver has a tough time against bigger, meaner teams, and that big first line is going to wreak havoc on our defense. If we contain the first line, we give ourselves a great chance.

-Vancouver is fast. Boston's D is in no way as immobile as Tampa's, but they aren't fast either. Vancouver will have to use it's speed to stay away from the physical game that Boston is bound to pound into us.

-Vancouver's secrets to success will be shutting down the top line, not letting Lucic and Horton affect our play, and making sure that Boston's PP doesn't all of a sudden start working. There's potential for Vancouver to lose their cool and trips to the penalty box will only hurt. Even if Boston's PP isn't working right now, Vancouver needs to stay out of the box and use their speed to draw penalties. If we see enough PP time that's where we'll get to Timmay Thomas.

-Will Manny be back? Even if he is, where does he slot in? Taking over Hodgson's duties on the fourth line makes sense. Have him out there for spot duty, taking important face-offs etc. will be a good way to work him in. The only thing that will keep him from earning that third line spot back will be how fast he can get back into game shape. A boost from a completely rested player who is so smart and effective defensively can only help, even if he may not be in top game shape.

-It's being reported that Christian Erhoff will be back for game one of the SCF. Good. Quick puck-movement is going to be essential to keeping their big forwards off of our dmen.

-Sounds like Rome could be back too, but there's no guarantee there. I really want to see Rome back as his physicality and size is needed. He matches up better against Boston than he does against Tampa's speedier forwards. Bring the pain Rome, someone has to.

-Good matchup between two of the premiere goalies in the league. Both have had their off games, and both have been stellar. Will be interesting to see who emerges as the better goaltender as they go head-to-head.

-Chara has looked tired in these playoffs. If he isn't able to play the Sedin's as tightly as Weber/Suter were, we stand a good chance. Chara will be a difference maker in this series whether it's in a good way or a bad. The five day rest should do wonders for him.

It's great to see two deserving teams in the playoffs this year. Great regular season records and the chemistry and pieces that it takes to make it this far. No matter who wins, it's gonna be one hell of a series.

Go Canucks!

Farm