Thread: Fowler vs Shattenkirk?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Fowler vs Shattenkirk?

Which of these studs would you rather own in a keeper league?

Who performs the best in the next 3 years?
    Yahoo Pool Keeper - Keep 7

Won the championship last year.

12 Teams

Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, G. Weekly changes.

C - Giroux, Datsyuk, Sequin, Nugent-Hopkins.
    W - P. Kane, Hall, Hartnell, Simmonds, Dubinsky.
    D - Burns, Bieska, Hamhuis, Garrison, Gudas, McDonagh.
    G - Bobrovsky, Bishop, Pavelec.

Scoring:

Point = 1
    Plus/Minus = 1/-1
    PIM = .25
    PPG = 2
    SHG = 3
    GWG = 1

Wins = 3
    Losses = -1
    SO = 5

Max 5 moves a season.

Drouin for Downie
    Rinne for Dubinsky
    Giorodano for Pavelec
    Downie for Dubinsky

2013 7 keepers: Giroux, Datsyuk, Sequin, Hall, RNH, Kane, Rinne.

The Great One

Shattenkirk before the trade...Fowler now. But I really like both of them and it is very close for me.

Dobber Sports Giant

ill bet colorado thinks fowller.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Legend

Fowler will be a very special fantasy player. Shattenkirk will be real nice too but Pietrangelo is the ace in St. Louis. Soon Fowler will own the Ducks blue line.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Fowler will be a very special fantasy player. Shattenkirk will be real nice too but Pietrangelo is the ace in St. Louis. Soon Fowler will own the Ducks blue line.
    I'm liking that a lot, fungchen!
    @SmittysRant

Banned

not sure i completely understand why having two offensive defenceman on a team necessarily hurts one of them. i can't see how playing with lidstrom or niedermayer ever hurt rafalski's stats... i would think st. louis will have an even better powerplay with piet. and shatty and that shatty's stats shouldn't be any worse off than they would have been in colorado.

i guess that there are only so many points to go around, but if more points are being scored then there should be more to go around and that it would even out in a way. i have just read this logic on a number of posts before - like how OEL will take away some of Yandle's superpowers when he fully develops because he will take away some powereplay points. again, i can't see how having two smart, offensive defenceman on a powerplay can hurt either of them.

can someone enlighten me.

Dobber Sports Novice

Because they dont award 3 assists in the NHL!!!! In all seriouness, On he PP the d-man usually plays pass with the forward on the half boards. D-men get their points by passing not scoring on the PP, which translates to they lose assists everytime their is a tip or rebound goal by a forward!!!
    Do you know where a guy can get
    a rub and a tug around here?

Dobber Sports Stud

Thumbs up Fowler

messageistooshortpleaseentermorewords.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think what Y19 is talking about in part is competition; I think the idea is that the best offensive defensemen are PP QBs on their own... I actually think a D is more likely to get more points if he's a shooter on the PP, and also has a puckmoving, perhaps even defensive-minded D with him - e.g. Byflugien has Enstrom.

But either way, I'd say Fowler has just as much competition - at least for the next couple years - witih Visnovsky.

I'd go with Shattenkirk, though. St. Lou has a lot more depth scoring, and since Shatty (we hope) will be getting big minutes, he'll have more scoring opportunities outside of when he happens to be playing with the top line. ... but maybe this doesn't make sense either. Thoughts?
    Icy Dead People

Limited keeper H2H (G A +/- PIM PPP SOG BLK W GAA SV%); 14-teams, 18-man rosters; 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 5D, 1 Util, 2G, 3BN; keep 7

C: Getzlaf, Malkin
    LW: Hall
    RW: St Louis
    D: Subban
    G: Quick, Niemi

The Great One

I will elaborate a bit more on why I like Fowler more than Shattenkirk (though as I already mentioned I felt differently before Shatts was traded to St. Louis). I will also touch on what Fungchen said about Pietrangelo being the ace ahead of Shattenkirk in St. Louis.

The truth is that most teams can easily have two (and sometimes even three) solid, point-producing, fantasy relevant dmen. At the moment Anaheim has Visnovsky and Fowler. Colorado had Shattenkirk and Liles (now Liles and EJ). St. Louis now has Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk (used to be Pietrangelo and EJ). All those dmen will have a great opportunity to put up points. But long-term, Pietrangelo will be the main guy in St. Louis, EJ will be the main guy in Colorado, and Fowler (once Visnovsky retires) will be the main guy in Anaheim. The main offensive guy on any team almost always puts up more points. Lidstrom has always been ahead of Rafalski, even though they both put up points. Weber’s been ahead of Suter, Pronger ahead of Timonen, etc. The main offensive guy normally logs more minutes and the power play normally runs through the main offensive guy, meaning the main offensive guy often gets more point opportunities. It isn't always that simple, but that is a general rule of thumb I like to follow.

When in Colorado, I saw Shattenkirk as the #1 guy on a high scoring offensive team. Now he is behind Pietrangelo on a team that will score less than Colorado. Once Visnovsky moves on (say in 2 years), Fowler will be the #1 guy and will have no one ahead of him on the depth chart.

I like both players quite a bit, but have to give Fowler a slight edge.

Dobber Sports Legend

Fowler and Vishnovsky make a great PP duo and Vish has proven to breakdown a bit over the years. When that happens, Fowler will shine like the gem that he is.

In the same sense, Shattenkirk will play 2nd fiddle to Pietrangelo, and with Pietro's knack for jumping into the attack (often near the net on the PP) he will get his points.

Both of them are great fantasy options but Fowler will be the 1A for the Ducks soon enough. What he's doing as a puppy is great.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Pro

I have both. I wouldnt trade either. But if I was forced to make a choice, I would rank Fowler just a little bit higher due to the talent level around him in Ana. Slightly. The Blue Notes have solid forwards but not a one I would rather have than Perry, Getzlaf, or Ryan.
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider