Thread: Is Hall a keeper for me in my league?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Is Hall a keeper for me in my league?

N.B. Unusual keeper rules

I'm trying to figure out my 4 keepers for next year. The only one I'm sure of is Tim Thomas, who I can keep in exchange for my 10th round pick. I think he's definitely in the top 100 players in the league.

But from there, I'm not sure. I have 2 more 10th round picks, and could use them to keep Shattenkirk, Jordan Staal, Zidlicky, or guys from the wire eg Brassard, Bernier) but I don't feel like any of these guys are top 100 picks.

Hall is a possibility, in exchange for an 7th round pick, if I believe he will take a nice step forward next year. Some 7th round picks this year= Spezza, Tavares, Ehrhoff, EJ. Or Stastny in the same round instead

Hemsky can stay for a 6th rounder, but I don't see him as a top 60 guy...

Any ideas are appreciated! I may not use all 4 slots, but if I can hang on to anyone at a price that is a bargain it would be great.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Administrator

I personally like the 4 you have kept but I assume the dillema is that you can only keep one of Hall or Stastny?

I'd love to see you keep both. Assuming I understand the rules correctly you could keep both Stastny and Hall as 7th rounders every year for the rest of their careers. That sounds like a bargain to me.

I am curious what round you took Halak, Rask, Ehrhoff, Eric Staal and Nash. It's possible they are bargains as well.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Padawan

Interesting format, would need more information on rounds player's were taken as metal said but for a 7th I would definetly hold onto Hall.

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks! I would lose a 5th round to keep Hall in 2012, a 4th in 2013, a 3rd in 2014 etc., so there's no locking in bargains.

Yes, the sticking point is can't keep both Hall and Stastny for a 7th unless I trade for another 7th round pick over the summer. From your answer it sounds like that might be a good avenue to pursue.

Rask was in the 3rd, so I would lose a 2nd next year. I don't think he's a top 20 player next year with Thomas drinking from the fountain of youth, so I doubt he's a keeper.
    Nash a 2nd rounder so lose a 1st- again, I don't think he's top 10.

Eric Staal was drafted in the 4th and would cost a 3rd...he might be top 30 next year...but as a Center in a positional league I don't know.

Halak in the 5th, and I would lose a 3rd. Probably not.

Ehrhoff in the 7th, so I'd lose a 5th. Is Ehrhoff top 50 in my league config? Objectively probably yes; he certainly is this year so far. However in my league I think D are undervalued, so I could probably draft him or a similar D later than the 5th round next year.

I traded away my best keepers (Lehtonen for a 17th rounder, Hiller for a 15th rounder) to make a push for this year, and as I'm in 1st heading into the playoffs I'm at peace with that. But there's always work to do for next year...
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Administrator

I think Staal would definitely be considered a top 30 skater based on that scoring. I'm not sure where he'd factor with goalies. Definitely in the top 40 though. If you really like Staal you should consider him but if not you might be better to gamble.

Halak definitely isn't worth a third. You are bang on. Same with Rask.

Ehrhoff isn't worth a fifth. Not given the fact that he's a free agent and could end up anywhere. On another team his +/- probably goes down the tubes and that cuts into his value. He's essentially James Wisniewski if he goes elsewhere.

Given the escalation on the rounds Hall may not be worth keeping in a couple of years but I'd say he's definitely worth giving a shot this year and probably next year as well depending on his progression.

Stastny similarly is worth a keeper this year and may earn one next year but if you had to axe one of your keepers for lack of picks then he'd be the one.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg