Thread: Niskanen

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Niskanen

How does the trade to Pittsburgh affect Niskanen? Is there a chance he plays on the first unit with Letang or is that Martins spot? I have not seen Niskanen play much, is he a defensive liability?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    How does the trade to Pittsburgh affect Niskanen? Is there a chance he plays on the first unit with Letang or is that Martins spot? I have not seen Niskanen play much, is he a defensive liability?
    No, not on the top unit. Not quite sure how it will play out, but I like the change of scenery for him at the very least.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

i still don't think martin is ppqb quality so i could see letang as #1 ppqb with martin and niskanen alternating.

Dobber Sports Legend

Unless Niskanen is taking a high dose of Paul Coffey pills, I don't think this trade helps him at all actually.

He had ample opportunity to prove he could be an effective PP performer from the backend and failed to the point where the Stars were about to put up a classified on craigslist for a PP QB.

Letang is the guy on the Pens PP and Martin/Niskanen may each get some cracks on it by default but I don't expect anything significant from Niskanen just because he has a cartoon penguin on his chest now.

Just like Martin - many people were automatically adding 10-15 points to his projections when he became a Pen and this year he's put up a measly 21 points in 60 GP.

In fact, Martin will end up with less points this season than he put up with the "defensive-minded" Devils. I don't expect much from Niskanen.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Guru

The only reason I think this potentially helps Niskanen is because it's a change of scenery. Dallas has been completely down on this guy -- especially since he was a 1st round pick that notched 35 in his sophomore season and wasn't coming close to meeting those expectations over the past year and a half. Hopefully (and I am an owner, albeit one that isn't holding out for a miracle), moving to another city that sees him merely as a tag-on to a deal for Neal will allow him to bounce-back somewhat. Instead of being the heir to Zubov's thrown, he can simply be an offensive-minded #4 that gets some PP2.

It can't possibly hurt his value -- it's tough to suck worse than 6 pts in 45 games.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Niskanen's best attribute is offense. 6 pts in 45 games=he's terrible... The reason Niskanen had a few good season is because he was paired with Zubov. When Zubov left for Russia the true Nisky showed. Expect a bump in production due to points by association. Playing even 4-5 minutes a game with either Crosby or Malkin on the ice will land Niskanen the odd assist or two. I wouldn't expect more than 25 pts in a season for Niskanen...ever.
    2nd Year Keeper H2H Points- 10 Team
    G,A,PPP,SHP,HAT,SOG,BLK,HIT,+/-,W,L,GA,SV,SO

F-Crosby, Semin, Marleau, Perry, Roy, Giroux, Williams, Gange, Flieschman, Jokinen, Parenteau, Erkisson
    D-Letang, Visnovsky, Edler, Kronwall
    G-Lundqvist, Crawford, Backstrom, Emery

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

It is a good situation because there is now zero pressure on him. (Maybe not zero, but less.) He wasn't ready for the spotlight or top PP duties in Dallas.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    It is a good situation because there is now zero pressure on him. (Maybe not zero, but less.) He wasn't ready for the spotlight or top PP duties in Dallas.
    I would argue that he may never be ready for the spotlight

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Unless Niskanen is taking a high dose of Paul Coffey pills, I don't think this trade helps him at all actually.

He had ample opportunity to prove he could be an effective PP performer from the backend and failed to the point where the Stars were about to put up a classified on craigslist for a PP QB.
    Yeah, damn straight. I don't buy that the Pens "wanted" him. I think they had to take him as part of the deal.

I've seen zero progress from this guy. In fact I think he's regressed. No one that I've talked to here is sorry that he's gone the other way.

I get tired of hearing that Brunnstrom's and Niskanen's problems are because of "the scenery", like it's some kind of NHL backwater. It's a solid organization, and I've yet to see any player trash it, w/ the possible exception of Avery who never should have been brought in here in the first place.

Niskanan was given every, and I mean every, opportunity to succeed here.
    Last edited by Instant Karma; February 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Guru

I don't think it's a matter of him not being given opportunity -- but perhaps he was given too much opportunity too soon. He played a whopping 13 AHL games after leaving university. He was a 1st round pick that had pretty immediate success (26 pts in year 1, 35 in year 2) in the NHL, but he never had any time for growing pains. He went from future #1PP QB to team scapegoat over the course of a season.

I'm not saying he's a certainty, but perhaps a season away from any pressures will benefit him long-term. I'm thinking more of a Matt Carle (Phil) type situation -- where he moves from SJ where he had some pretty good early success, followed by some rough patches, to Philly where he can put up some points in a role with less pressure (thanks to Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, etc.).

I dunno. I suppose we'll get a good look over the next few months.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I watched his "progress" very intently as I used to own him. Drafted him after his 35 point season and hoped for 40+ points. Ok, 1 regression season I can handle, but 2.5 now? 32 points in his last 149 games dating back to Feb 14, 2009. That's a 24 pt/82 game pace. Expect, nay, hope at the high end you get that. And if you watch his TOI, it's just gradually dropped game after game after game after game...

Niskanen's a bum. Period.
    PTKL - '18 and '19 Back to Back League Champion!
    12 team league, 20 players per team
    Count top 9 F, 4 D, 1 G
    Points only for F and D
    G Stats: W = 1, SO = 1, Saves (0.04 per save), Goals Against (-0.2 per goal), G and A also count

F: Barkov, Bergeron, Dadonov, Getzlaf, Hertl, Marchand, Olofsson, Pacioretty, Pavelski, Radulov, Stone, Wheeler, Zuccarello
    D: Krug, Letang, Petry, Rielly, Weber
    G: Fleury, Price

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

At the moment, sure. I wouldn't write him off - would be foolish to do so.

He isn't worth owning (unless you are rebuilding in a really deep keeper), but keep him on the radar.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    At the moment, sure. I wouldn't write him off - would be foolish to do so.

He isn't worth owning (unless you are rebuilding in a really deep keeper), but keep him on the radar.
    thats perfect advice ....