Page 328 of 414 FirstFirst ... 228 278 318 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 338 378 ... LastLast
Results 4,906 to 4,920 of 6196

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

Really need JT and nylander to step it up. Go Leafs Go!!

Also surprised that the Habs not starting Romanov and Caufield. See how long that lasts.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

And into the offseason way earlier than expected...

Anderson, Hallander, Amirov, Robertson, Liljegren, Sandin, Petan, SDA might all get a shot next yr.

Andersen, Hyman...have fun exploring free agency. Hyman I hope he "explores" it knowing he's signing post expansion

Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Rielly...I think we've seen the last of that quad. I don't know what you do for the future. You've gambled on Matthews, Marner, JT with those contracts. I honestly have no idea what you do.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Are Dubas and Shanny done?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Because of the way the last 3 games went, I've thought this for a while.

I don't think so. The Leafs core consists of:
    - 2 top centers
    - 1 top 5 in scoring winger
    - 1 winger who's likely got a solid contract if giving more responsibilities
    - 3 D who are strong and paid well for their performance
    - Showed a $5mill goalie isn't needed with their defensive systems

How many GMs can say they've built that? I think Dubas should get an opportunity to pivot this offseason. If you get a new GM in, what are they really going to do that would benefit the team? They would make a rash decision and make a bad trade, or "wait and see" with the core.

Really, the Leafs are an issue because their core's contract length, and the gamble of increasing cap. You don't have a contract length like Crosby, Malkin, or Ovi to bank off of. They've pretty much said "this is our window" and that window shuts quick.

I don't know what needs to change. Unless it's a trade of one of Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Rielly. I don't know what a new GM or Coach would change really.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Not sure, but my eyes are on watching Jim Rutherford somehow come to Toronto. He's got a huge track of winning everywhere he goes.

Not sure about Shanny, but I would have to render a guess that Dubas will be gone.

The Great One

I doubt it. Really, the loss of Tavares was a big deal and should probably give them a pass.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Titan

Just a bit of a reminder, this was yr 6 of the "plan". Soooo are we panicking? Are we inpatient? Are we right when we say big things need to change?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Just a bit of a reminder, this was yr 6 of the "plan". Soooo are we panicking? Are we inpatient? Are we right when we say big things need to change?
    Isn't year 6 a long time when you've yet to win a playoff series?

Dobber Sports Titan

Isn't year 6 a long time when you've yet to win a playoff series?
    It depends what their plans are? I'm really just at a loss of ideas for the team. Yr 1 was "pain yr", yr 2 was a shock they made the playoffs and yrs 3-6 have been the disappointment yrs. I say "what the plans are" as in, it's been 4 yrs of disappointment, is yr 5 the final straw? Or was this it?

I really don't think Dubas or Keefe are done. But I also don't know what the plan is.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think the biggest question for the Leafs brass is what went wrong? Where are the holes and how do you plug them when you've got little cap space to work with?

Goaltending:

To me, I think Campbell is Andersen 2.0, only a lot cheaper against the cap. He's good enough to win you games but tends to give up a bad goal at a bad time. Campbell has one year left at $1.65M, Andersen is a UFA so that frees up a lot of cap space. Campbell is your starter next year, Andersen is gone. Who's backing up Campbell? Lots of FA options there, including Rittich who's a RFA.

Defense

Dermott is the only FA they need to worry about and re-sign. Bogosian, Hutton and Marincin are their FAs from their current roster and none were really regulars. Is this D good enough? I think it's improved over previous teams but is that enough. I think the kids like Dermott and Sandin have to take a step forward if this D corp is going to improve.

Forwards

This is the biggest question mark. Does Hyman come back? Can they afford him?? I think they HAVE to bring Spezza back again. He was once again one of your better forwards when it counted. How sad is that! Toronto has to decide if they can win paying the big four (JT, Marner, Matthews and Nylander) half of their cap for the next three years. Safe to say the cap isn't' going up in that time frame and that's all they have of Matthews and Nylanders term on their deals before both are UFAs.

Do they bite the bullet and trade Marner for more depth throughout the lineup? I dont see them dealing Nylander. He was arguably your best offensive player in the league and at $6.9M, that's easier to swallow than the $10.9 they are paying Marner.

Looking at Capfriendly, the Leafs are projected to go into the offseason with roughly $12.5M in available cap space and a lot of forward holes to fill. Is Hyman getting $5-6M? Probably somewhere. Is Toronto willing to invest that in him? Can they even afford to considering regulars Foligno, Simmonds, Galchenyuk, Thornton, Spezza all are most likely gone. I can see them bringing back Galchenyuk and Spezza, but thats a lot of holes to fill and try and improve on what is already here.

Man, that's a lot of question marks for the Leafs going into another disappointing offseason.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

XX-Matthews (11.6) - Marner (10.9)
    XX- JT (11) - Nylander (6.96)
    Mikeheyv (1.65) - Kerfoot (3.5) - Engvall (1.25)
    XX - Brooks (0.725) - XX

$47.585mill with 4 spots to fill
    Spezza - 0.8
    Robertson - 0.821
    Anderson - 0.750
    Random - ?
    About $50mill with 1 forward spot to fill.

Muzzin (5.625) - Holl (2)
    Brodie (5) - Rielly (5)
    Sandin (0.894) - XX
    18.519mill with 1 spot to fill
    Liljegren - 0.863
    Random - 1mill?

So about 20mill lets say

Campbell - 1.65
    xx
    Backup could be lets say 2mill? Total of 3.65mill
    50+20+3.65+1.2(kesse) = 74.85mill.

74.85mill with 1 forward spot left to fill. Plus 3rd string goalie, couple depth forwards and a couple of depth d.

You lean HEAVY on Sandin, Liljegren, Robertson, Anderson taking full time NHL roles though. So the Leafs can have about 10mill to play with for 4 guys. But maybe 2mill on a goalie is even to small, so bump it up maybe. But you are abandoning what they wanted this yr with less grit and veteran presence. This is again an offseason where I think they could financially keep guys and just lose 1, but I don't know if they do or not now. Clearly isn't working yet. Key word is yet and will Dubas or his bosses think they can wait for that to "yet" to become the present.

Dobber Sports Deity

But does that make them better, or more of the same? I'd say losing Hyman probably does not make this team better with the changes you are proposing.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In all honestly aside from the panic.....Toronto isnt that far away. Save the JT injury and just as important the Muzzin injury I think the results could of been different. You take JT and Muzzin away from any team and that changes things ALOT. So, its easy to blast Toronto right now and Dubas, Shanny etc. But this team is not far away....Hyman is a critical re-sign and a move or two on the back end..and a backup goalie.
    I think Campbell can be the guy in net. Freddie can go and use that money as needed.

CAN-AM National Hockey League ~ 6th Year
    CAN-AM United Hockey League ~ 6th Year
    CAN-AM Memorial Hockey League ~ 6th Year
    CAN-AM Hockey Association - 1st year

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    But does that make them better, or more of the same? I'd say losing Hyman probably does not make this team better with the changes you are proposing.
    Oh I'm not saying to lose Hyman. I'm saying that's what they have internally right now. And they have a decent amount of money left for signing Hyman. I want Hyman back to fill that top LW spot.

I think you find someone who can take Marner's PK spot. He's a good PKer, but in the playoffs, maybe you don't use him there to help manage those minutes better.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by CAN-AM Commish View Post
    In all honestly aside from the panic.....Toronto isnt that far away. Save the JT injury and just as important the Muzzin injury I think the results could of been different. You take JT and Muzzin away from any team and that changes things ALOT. So, its easy to blast Toronto right now and Dubas, Shanny etc. But this team is not far away....Hyman is a critical re-sign and a move or two on the back end..and a backup goalie.
    I think Campbell can be the guy in net. Freddie can go and use that money as needed.
    All the more opportunity for the real stars on the team to step up. MacKinnon is a huge presence but he gets it done. Pasta/Berg/Marchand get it done. Injuries are a part of the game unfortunately but cream rises to the top. They failed miserably. Dubas has made his bed and now must lie on it. I think he will have to beg the Leafs brass for patience and tinker with the line-up again. That's if he has a job in Toronto.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent