Page 18 of 414 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Yeah I think Lombardi on your 3rd line is pretty solid. Not saying he'd be ideal if it went down- but makes me feel a little better as insurance if that dreaded connolly injury strikes. What a sweet move that was for Burke- not gonna vault them into contention but pretty sweet additions at virtually no cost...
    ya, exactly. I have loved Burke's summer thus far.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Initiate

I must appologize for criticising the decision to sign Lebda. I have stated on many occassions that the Ledba signing was Burkes wirst move since taking over the reins of the leafs.

Well I have to rethink that call in hind sight. Ledba was a UFA so no assets were involved. A tough year later Burke turns Lebda and Slaney (ya Slaney who) into Lombardi and Franson. So in effect Burke used a free asset to get two valid and proven NHL assets for nothing. I guess the Lebda signing was still a bad signing as Nashville probably would have accepted Lashoff and Slaney in the salary dumping deal. Well this way Leafs still have Lashoff.

Come to think of it Burke picked up Matt Lashoff from TB for Alex Berry and Stefano Giliato both whom have been cut lose by TB. Burke might have trouble hanging on to Lashoff as it will be tough for Lashoff to make the team with so many quality defencemen in the ranks this year. If Lashoff goes on waivers it is hard to imagine he goes unclaimed by another team. I guess that is the price to be paid for having accumulated so many quality guys to provide lots of team depth.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbooks View Post
    I must appologize for criticising the decision to sign Lebda. I have stated on many occassions that the Ledba signing was Burkes wirst move since taking over the reins of the leafs.

Well I have to rethink that call in hind sight. Ledba was a UFA so no assets were involved. A tough year later Burke turns Lebda and Slaney (ya Slaney who) into Lombardi and Franson. So in effect Burke used a free asset to get two valid and proven NHL assets for nothing. I guess the Lebda signing was still a bad signing as Nashville probably would have accepted Lashoff and Slaney in the salary dumping deal. Well this way Leafs still have Lashoff.

Come to think of it Burke picked up Matt Lashoff from TB for Alex Berry and Stefano Giliato both whom have been cut lose by TB. Burke might have trouble hanging on to Lashoff as it will be tough for Lashoff to make the team with so many quality defencemen in the ranks this year. If Lashoff goes on waivers it is hard to imagine he goes unclaimed by another team. I guess that is the price to be paid for having accumulated so many quality guys to provide lots of team depth.
    well, it was a crappy signing. Lebda was a defensive liability, had no offensive touch, and was just an awful player this year. The signing was still awful, but Burke made the best of a bad situation and was able to acquire a great package for him (I really don't know how).

As for Lashoff, he'll likely be a pressbox sitter this year. I feel Komisarek gets moved prior to the start of the season.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    well, it was a crappy signing. Lebda was a defensive liability, had no offensive touch, and was just an awful player this year. The signing was still awful, but Burke made the best of a bad situation and was able to acquire a great package for him (I really don't know how).

As for Lashoff, he'll likely be a pressbox sitter this year. I feel Komisarek gets moved prior to the start of the season.
    That was a tongue in cheek appology. Of course the Lebda signing was terrible but as you stated Burke managed to turn a piece of coal into a couple of diamonds. If Lombardi is able to play this year it just makes the deal even sweater. It also gives the leafs some solid back up for Connolly should Connolly sucumb to injury.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbooks View Post
    That was a tongue in cheek appology. Of course the Lebda signing was terrible but as you stated Burke managed to turn a piece of coal into a couple of diamonds. If Lombardi is able to play this year it just makes the deal even sweater. It also gives the leafs some solid back up for Connolly should Connolly sucumb to injury.
    My thoughts exactly Kbooks.

Dobber Sports Stud

-3 in a 9-3 win anyone? I think that's the only explanation we need for Lebda.

I'm just glad that he'll be known as something useful. That is, in the same vein as Blake and Toskala. "The useless guys Burke was able to bribe someone hard enough to give us some nice potential defenceman + a good solid roster guy".

In both cases, that would be JS Giguere (I kinda forgot Gardiner came with Lupul in the Beauch deal) and Franson with Lombardi.

Still can't get over that one...
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    -3 in a 9-3 win anyone? I think that's the only explanation we need for Lebda.

I'm just glad that he'll be known as something useful. That is, in the same vein as Blake and Toskala. "The useless guys Burke was able to bribe someone hard enough to give us some nice potential defenceman + a good solid roster guy".

In both cases, that would be JS Giguere (I kinda forgot Gardiner came with Lupul in the Beauch deal) and Franson with Lombardi.

Still can't get over that one...
    Burke does have a knack for trading overrated, overpaid NHL players for young talent haha.

Dobber Sports Master

Hey guys,

Starting Saturday, I will be starting my season preview for the Maple Leafs. Here are the parts that will be reviewed:

Part I: Forwards
    Part II: Defence
    Part II: Goalies
    Part IV: Overall Assessment (predictions, what to expect, etc...)

As well I'm gonna take any questions you want to know about the Leafs and answer them if you would like.

Looking forward to having you guys read it!

Dobber Sports Master

Changing a hockey club is a very broad term. Changes can be as small as adding a new trainer, as large as signing a superstar center, and everything in between. The Toronto Maple Leafs changed in nearly every aspect this year to further improve, but will it be enough to better last year�s result? This series will cover everything needed to know about the Leafs� changes; who will benefit, who will falter, where the Leafs have improved, and if the Leafs return to the post-season for the first time since 2004.

The series will be split into four parts, starting with forwards. Here are the Leafs� forward line combinations during the latter part of the 2010-2011 season:

Line # Left Wing Center Right Wing
    1 Lupul Bozak Kessel
    2 Kulemin Grabovski MacArthur
    3 Kadri Boyce Armstrong
    4 Brown Brent Rosehill
    IR Orr

Here is the line up after the 2011 offseason: (changes in bold):

Line # Left Wing Center Right Wing
    1 Lupul Connolly Kessel
    2 Kulemin Grabovski MacArthur
    3 Kadri Lombardi Armstrong
    4 Brown Bozak Orr
    Reserves Dupuis,Frattin, Rosehill, Crabb, Boyce, Zigomanis

Key Additions:

� The Leafs signed Tim Connolly in the offseason. He will line up in between Kessel and Lupul.
    � Matthew Lombardi was acquired in a trade on July 3rd, and will play on the third line (assuming he is healthy enough to play).
    � Phillipe Dupuis was added to the team, and will be an AHL player. He will be given the opportunity to fill in a fourth line role if an injury comes.

Key Subtractions:

� Tim Brent was released into free agency, and signed a deal with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Points to Consider

Born (and played) in the USA:

The first line of the Leafs changed drastically with only one addition that will benefit the entire team. Tim Connolly has very good hockey vision and great passing abilities. However, his biggest issue throughout his career has been staying healthy. He claims his injuries are behind him, but we shall see. Expect Connolly to play 65-75 games, picking up 55-65 points.

The most intriguing thing about Connolly is his ability to make the players around him better. Connolly is not a physical player, and sticks to what he�s very good at: passing the puck to his teammates. Being on a line with two goal scorers (Kessel and Lupul), Connolly will not be relied on in any manner to score goals. His slick passes will make him heavily relied upon to create plays, and he should produce nicely.

Lupul on Line One:

Joffrey Lupul is expected to continue on the first line of the Leafs. It took him a few games, but Lupul adjusted to first line duties and thrived playing with Phil Kessel. With the addition of Connolly, Lupul should continue to produce at a point total near that of last year (18 points in 26 games with the Maple Leafs).

The biggest thing that Lupul will provide to the first line is a physical presence. Last year, Lupul recorded 41 hits in 28 games wearing blue and white, a large number in comparison to his future linemates. Expect Lupul to provide energy to the top line, and drive hard to the net. His goal scoring ability will force defenders to cover both him and Kessel, likely resulting in more goals from the first unit.

�Philling� out the Top Line:

The final third of the first line is the most important player in the Leafs� offense. Phil Kessel, the 24-year-old right-winger, has been a Maple Leaf for two seasons now, scoring 62 goals in 152 games. Recording consecutive 30 goal seasons is very impressive, but is even more so when the top line center (Tyler Bozak) only records 59 points in 119 games, including a sub-par 32 points in a full season last year.
    Last time Phil Kessel has a legitimate center, he scored 36 goals as a 21 year old. Since then, Kessel has gotten into better physical and emotional state. He�s working harder, and has learned to generate chances by himself. 40 goals is not out of the question this year, and the sniper will likely be the highest-scoring player on the team. The biggest issue that he has is his ability to fall into cold streaks. Last season, Kessel went 14 games without potting a goal. There will be slumps, but these will be smaller and occur less often with the addition of a playmaking center.

Unmatched Chemistry:

Last season was full of many surprises in Toronto, one of which was the emergence of the second line. Forwards Nikolai Kulemin, Mikhail Grabovski, and Clarke Macarthur proved to the NHL that they were legitimate top-6 forwards, scoring a combined 80 goals between the three of them. Featured on special teams, getting top 6 minutes, and continuously increasing responsibility really stepped up the play of the three players.

That being said, the likelihood of a repeat season is contingent on many things. With a newly-renovated first line, the dependence on the second-line trio could be reduced. The three players� seasons were career highs, and consistency from all three of them will be needed for continued success.

In particular, Macarthur�s season was clearly an anomaly in comparison to his others. Last season was a surprise to everyone, as his previous largest point total in one season was just 31, half of his 2010/2011 total points. 2011/2012 will really prove to the NHL whether Macarthur is the real deal, or just a one-time wonder.

Watching these players for 82 games last year, it�s quite clear that the chemistry that Grabovski, Macarthur, and Kulemin share on the ice is not often seen in the NHL. All three players can score, pass, play a physical presence, and be defensively responsible. If everything falls into place (as it should), expect near-identical stats and results from the three players.

Bottom 6 Causing a �Headache�:

Last season, Tyler Bozak was launched into the role of first line center, despite only playing 37 NHL games prior. As some people anticipated, Bozak struggled in the large role, recording only 32 points in a full season. Entering the offseason, it was widely presumed that the Leafs would bring in one center to play top line, and Bozak would be put into a third line role, one in which he could succeed.

For the most part, people were correct. Burke brought in Connolly to play alongside Kessel and Lupul, while Bozak would join Kadri and Armstrong on the 3rd line. One day later, Bozak�s entire role was shifted once again. In an unexpected trade, Burke acquired center Matthew Lombardi from the Nashville Predators. Originally thought of as just a salary dump due to his nagging concussion issues, it has been reported that Lombardi is making amazing progress, and might be available for training camp, and quite possibly opening game. Due to the addition of Lombardi, Bozak was demoted to the fourth line.

The entire situation with the final two center spots is incredibly complicated. If Lombardi remains healthy, he�ll occupy the third spot. A borderline 40-45 point player with 50 point potential (he recorded 53 points in 78 games in 2009-10), Lombardi would be a great addition to the third unit. Unfortunately, Lombardi has had issues reaching his potential, or even completing a season throughout his career. Lombardi�s nagging concussion issues have hindered his progress as a player, forcing him to sit out 80 games last season. However, if he is able to remain healthy, Lombardi will likely grab about 40 points, and likely improve the goal totals of those around him.

If Lombardi does remain healthy, the progress that Tyler Bozak will try to make as a player will be halted. Being put on the 4th line will reduce Bozak�s playing time, the strength of line mates, and the opportunities for goals and assists. If Bozak plays on the fourth line, he would likely record around 20 points.

However, Bozak�s season could all change with one hit. If Lombardi�s nagging concussions issues re-appear, Bozak would be promoted to third line duties where he could increase his playing time, and his point totals by 10-15. The biggest change that would occur if Lombardi misses an extended period of time this year would be the position of fourth line center. Phillippe Dupuis, Mike Zigomanis, and Darryl Boyce would all have chances to earn that coveted spot on the Leafs team:

Boyce, the 27-year-old center, recorded 13 points in 46 games in his first NHL season. With confidence on his side, and a seal of approval from Burke, it is very likely he�d beat out Zigomanis, who started out with the big club and was demoted after 8 games. However, both players might lose to Phillippe Dupuis, the newly-acquired center. Dupuis played 74 games as a Colorado Avalanche, and was promised an opportunity to prove his worth in training camp. Expect Dupuis to be the first choice call-up, with Boyce a close second.

Along with the push for a fourth line center spot comes a push for the bottom six winger positions, if one falls to injury. Mike Brown, Colby Armstrong, and Colton Orr were all bit by the injury bug last year, giving reason to believe the same could happen this year. All three of these players play a large energy role on the team, but there are many candidates who could step in to take their places:

If Orr or Brown succumb to injury, expect Jay Rosehill to get a shot with the Leafs. Rosehill plays a physical game, and would provide the energy that the coaching staff would desire on the fourth line. However, Joey Crabb or Matt Frattin would also get their chances to make the team.

(Part 2 on next post)

Dobber Sports Master

The Kid is Alright:

Last season was a transition year for Nazem Kadri. Kadri, the 21-year-old forward drafted in 2009, played with the Leafs on two separate stints, the latter one being the better. Most nights, Kadri would line up alongside Darryl Boyce and Colby Armstrong, and recorded 12 points in 29 games. However, Kadri is taking many steps in the right direction to further improve from his sub-par season last year.

Over the offseason, Kadri has been working to change his game. He�s been gaining more muscle, and hopes to play more physical, and playing a stronger two-way game. If he follows through on what he intends to do, this season could turn out to be a very nice one for Kadri. Last season, Kadri heated up on the third line, and improved from his disappointing first stint, in which he only scored 6 points in 17 games.

Based on the latter part of Kadri�s past season, there�s no doubt that he should start with the Maple Leafs as the third line left-winger, assuming he has a decent training camp. Kadri will not have a breakout season of any sorts, and expecting point totals of 60+ is quite delusional. Expect Kadri to record points at a 0.50 point-per-game pace, and be the first call-up to the powerplay unit, if needed.

Special Teams Breakdowns

Powerplay:

Unit # Player 1 Player 2 Player 3
    1 Kessel Connolly Lupul
    2 Kulemin Grabovski Macarthur

Unlike some teams, the Leafs� powerplay is nothing unique. The first two forward lines occupy the first two units, with the only change coming on the first unit (Kessel plays left side, Lupul plays right).

Expect these lines to remain intact for the entire season. If any player seems to be struggling or becomes injured, Nazem Kadri, Matthew Lombardi, or Tyler Bozak will be the first names to be called up.

Penalty Kill:

Unlike the average setup, the Leafs play their penalty kill with anywhere up to 4 forward pairings. Here are the 4 likely pairings for the penalty kill:

Pairing # Player 1 Player 2
    1 Bozak Armstrong
    2 Lombardi Brown
    3 Grabovski Kulemin
    4 Macarthur Lupul

On most nights, only 3 pairings will play. Here are the breakdowns of all four pairings:

Tyler Bozak and Colby Armstrong were the first pairing last year, and there is no reason to think they will not continue together this year. They will be the most heavily relied on pairing.

Matthew Lombardi will replace the spot that was formerly occupied by Tim Brent. Lombardi will take faceoffs, while Mike Brown will provide his very important energy to force the puck out of the defensive zone.

Mikhail Grabovski and Nikolai Kulemin have played together since 2009, and have learned how to play very well together. No matter the situation, Grabovski and Kulemin will always be used in 4-player situations. The penalty kill is no different.

Clarke Macarthur and Joffrey Lupul might not play a lot on the penalty kill, but will always be options. Both of these players provide tons of energy to the game, and are able to play physically to prevent the opposing powerplay unit from producing.

In Conclusion

What improved from 2010/2011:

� Additions of Lombardi and Connolly have improved the depth at center giving the team 4 competent players at the position.
    � The addition of Connolly should improve the powerplay, giving Kessel and Lupul a proven center.
    � The addition of Phillippe Dupuis makes the team�s situation when injury strikes better than that of 2010/2011.
    � A new coaching staff including Scott Gordon and Greg Cronin will tighten up the team defensively, likely resulting in less goals allowed and a higher +/-.

What has diminished from 2010/2011:

� The loss of Tim Brent will be relevant with a lack of energy on the fourth line, and the teams� best penalty killer.
    � The additions of Connolly and Lombardi add more injury risks to the team, decreasing durability.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

TK,

Love it so far! Excited for the ohter parts, but so far its great. I especially like your views on the MacArthur-Grabovski-Kulemin line, saying consitency is key to repeat, but also if Lupul-Connolly-Kessel click they may be relied on less / less of the key opportunities.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPuckCanuck View Post
    TK,

Love it so far! Excited for the ohter parts, but so far its great. I especially like your views on the MacArthur-Grabovski-Kulemin line, saying consitency is key to repeat, but also if Lupul-Connolly-Kessel click they may be relied on less / less of the key opportunities.
    thanks buddy, all of the support is appreciated.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Looks like you have been busy TK good for you man for keeping this up and doing a great job with it!!!

Kully is going to be on that top line this year for sure? what ya think???? I think he has to be with his strong board play and the way he controls the boards/puck he is going to be the energy that gets the puck for Connoly and Kessel and also with those two cherry pickers they are going to need a player on that line as defesivly sound as him.....

your thoughts???......... HI

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    Looks like you have been busy TK good for you man for keeping this up and doing a great job with it!!!

Kully is going to be on that top line this year for sure? what ya think???? I think he has to be with his strong board play and the way he controls the boards/puck he is going to be the energy that gets the puck for Connoly and Kessel and also with those two cherry pickers they are going to need a player on that line as defesivly sound as him.....

your thoughts???......... HI
    ahhh I can't believe you're back!!!

I don't think Kully and Grabo are split any time soon. Lupul provides the same thing for line 1 that Kulemin will. But that chemistry the Russian and Bellarussian have is unmatched. 4-on-4, penalty kill, powerplay, even strength, anytime. They are always together! Unless there's a drastic change in one of their play styles, I doubt anything changes

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    ahhh I can't believe you're back!!!

I don't think Kully and Grabo are split any time soon. Lupul provides the same thing for line 1 that Kulemin will. But that chemistry the Russian and Bellarussian have is unmatched. 4-on-4, penalty kill, powerplay, even strength, anytime. They are always together! Unless there's a drastic change in one of their play styles, I doubt anything changes
    Well I may be wrong I agree that they start the season that way, I mean why mess with something worked as well as it did last year but I think Kully's energy is more than what Lupul can provide and I see him taking another step this year offensivly? So I think its not long before they play with that thought and he finishes the season for sure on that line.....I could be worng though wouldn't be the 1st time