Page 105 of 414 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 115 155 205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 6196

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    So MBA? Business degree?
    I do actually, but not sure what that has to do with educating oneself on the net worth of sports franchise owners.

anyway, back to civilized discussion...
    Did you folks see that Boucher might be coming on board as an assistant? That will be an interesting fit, different philosophies as head coaches.
    It's very hard not to be optimistic about the Leafs coaches going forward, compared to RC with Gordon/Cronin/Farrish/Horacek etc previously.
    You're the one making it "uncivilised", being outright combative over nothing actually.

Dobber Sports Genius

The pre-salary cap era proved that although some individual owners are more wealthy than others, it doesn't always correlate to what is willing to be spent.

There were 5-6 teams who spent ridiculously back then (NYR, DAL, DET, PHI and TOR). I've always said those teams should still find a way to outspend other, less willing teams through coaching, scouting, player development etc. today, the leafs did that.

At least they're doing something after a decade of ass-backwards management.

The Great One

Leafs owners are tops in the NHL lol

And yes, EMG, apparently the Wings/Babcock wanted Boucher last summer but he didn't have an out-clause with his Swiss team. He does this summer. Interesting indeed.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Leafs owners are tops in the NHL lol

And yes, EMG, apparently the Wings/Babcock wanted Boucher last summer but he didn't have an out-clause with his Swiss team. He does this summer. Interesting indeed.
    It's looking like Boucher has lots of options. Not sure if he ends up coming to the Leafs.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    It's looking like Boucher has lots of options. Not sure if he ends up coming to the Leafs.
    boucher to BUF might be a good fit.

still hope he comes to TOR as an assistant. im not sure if the teams that need a head coach would give him that oppurtunity.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    boucher to BUF might be a good fit.

still hope he comes to TOR as an assistant. im not sure if the teams that need a head coach would give him that oppurtunity.
    Jersey could be good fit in Bylsma ends up in Buffalo. The Sabres are a large domino, as are the Bruins if Sweeney fires Julien (which looks to be very possible).
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Expert

I think they are getting tired of my Leaf threads out there so I'll post this here. From hockey news...

Is Mark Hunter poised to be next GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs?

By: Ken Campbell on May 22, 2015 Mark Hunter (Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)
    Mark Hunter (Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)

A person who has interviewed for the Toronto Maple Leafs GM job told me Thursday that nothing that unfolded during the Mike Babcock hiring came as a surprise to him. Team president Brendan Shanahan made it clear to this person that the coach was going to be hired before the GM and that the search for a new person to run the hockey department is still very much open.
    Shanahan has displayed a unique management style through all of this. Whether it works brilliantly or blows up in his face will be revealed in time. If it does succeed, and it might, it could provide a template for future executives. And that is, find the people you want first and worry about job titles later. That said, one name other than Babcock’s kept coming up at the proceedings, that of director of player personnel Mark Hunter. When asked about his plans for the GM job, Shanahan was a little cagey, saying that he’s not even certain he’ll hire one at this point, saying the job may be done by a committee consisting of himself, Hunter and assistant GM Kyle Dubas.
    But if Shanahan does hire a GM, the clear frontrunner is Hunter. Hunter has already been given full control over the scouting department and will be the undisputed alpha male at that draft table in June. He was the one who decided the fate of the part-time scouts who were let go and he has since hired his head scout from the London Knights, Lindsay Hofford, as an Ontario scout and former Saginaw Spirit GM Jim Paliafito as director of player evaluation. Hunter was with Shanahan every step of the way during the process of hiring Babcock of coach, in lockstep with Shanahan in convincing Babcock the Leafs were a desired destination because there is a lot of exciting work to do and many improvements to make.

“I can tell you that Mark Hunter was a big part of this,” Shanahan said. “He deserves a lot of the credit for this.” Babcock was even more effusive in his praise for Hunter, saying he represents half of the two best hockey men he knows. The other is his friend Kelly McCrimmon, who is the owner, GM and coach of the WHL’s Brandon Wheat Kings.
    “When (the Maple Leafs) hired Hunts last year, I said, ‘Oh my,’ ” Babcock said. “(Hunter and McCrimmon) are the guys for me. They just keep flat-out doing it year after year after year. They find players, they can smell them. That’s a hockey man. When I met with Hunts and Shanny…I could talk to that guy. He’s a hockey man.”
    Another notion that was brought up with respect to the GMs job is that Shanahan has already surrounded himself with people he trusts and that very few leaks have gotten out to the public, which is a departure from previous regimes. Nobody had any idea that the Leafs were going to deal David Clarkson and his onerous contract to Columbus for Nathan Horton until it happened. And until just hours before the Maple Leafs got Babcock, they were being dismissed as a legitimate candidate. Shanahan might want to keep his inner circle as tight as it is right now.
    Whoever the new GM is, the Leafs are not going to have a conventional flow chart when it comes to their management team. First off, the coach is going to have much more say in roster and player personnel decisions than most other coaches around the league. Even if Hunter is not the guy, he’ll be a key decision maker and Shanahan will be very active and internally vocal.
    Guys like Hunter and Hofford are very, very financially successful outside the NHL. Hunter makes gobs of money as part-owner of the Knights and Hofford has his fingers in many pies, including running a company called Pro Hockey Development. It has long been speculated that one of the reasons he wasn’t back working in the OHL was that no teams could afford to hire him.
    The point is, these guys are not going to drop their lucrative and stable gigs without having an opportunity to advance at the NHL level. Hunter very much wants the GM job and has the inside track in as much as he’s already working so closely with the person who is going to make the decision. The only thing this group, including Babcock, lacks is experience. None of them has ever actually built a roster at the NHL level. None of them has experience making trades, negotiating player contracts or identifying talent at the NHL level.
    They might want to bring in someone with the experience of doing that. That’s where one of the other candidates – such as Mike Futa, Mike McPhee, Scott Gorton and Julien BriseBois – come in. Or Shanahan may just feel comfortable enough to officially hand the reins to Mark Hunter. Whatever the result, it will be a brave new world for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Dobber Sports Expert

Me wonders who takes over hunters job if he's promoted?
    Kelly McCrimmon?

Dobber Sports Expert

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/768562
    Report: Red Wings assistant coach Hiller to join Babcock's staff
    by Josh Gold-Smith 37m ago
    Share on facebookTweet itShare on whatsappMail it
    Dan Hamilton / Reuters
    Another Detroit Red Wings coach is reportedly leaving for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jim Hiller is expected to join new Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock's staff, reports Ted Kulfan of The Detroit News. Hiller spent a season as an assistant coach with the Red Wings, overseeing the power play.

It improved from 17th in 2013-14 to second in the league under Hiller's direction. The Maple Leafs power play ranked 26th at 15.9 percent.

Hiller's contract expired at season's end.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan321 View Post
    http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/768562
    Report: Red Wings assistant coach Hiller to join Babcock's staff
    by Josh Gold-Smith 37m ago
    Share on facebookTweet itShare on whatsappMail it
    Dan Hamilton / Reuters
    Another Detroit Red Wings coach is reportedly leaving for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jim Hiller is expected to join new Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock's staff, reports Ted Kulfan of The Detroit News. Hiller spent a season as an assistant coach with the Red Wings, overseeing the power play.

It improved from 17th in 2013-14 to second in the league under Hiller's direction. The Maple Leafs power play ranked 26th at 15.9 percent.

Hiller's contract expired at season's end.
    now all we need is to steal their scouts.

Dobber Sports Expert

Boy wouldn't that be somthg. Of course Hiller was free to go. I wonder if he's going to train someone (like JB) to be coach of marlies or will the Leafs hire someone that knows his vision to develop the kids.

Dobber Sports Expert

The more I think about it, I'm getting somewhat nervous about this. Hunter seems to be in the perfect position right now, based on his strength as a talent evaluator. His focus should be on stocking the Leafs cupboard, running the drafts, overseeing all scouting... Not trying to negotiate trades or contracts etc.
    That's why I mentionedKelly McCrimmon. The guys awesome and knows talent. Works like a horse like Hunter.

Dobber Sports Legend

Hakan Andersson is the secret sauce.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Hakan Andersson is the secret sauce.
    Hmmm 8yrs 32m?

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan321 View Post
    Hmmm 8yrs 32m?
    Anything - whatever it takes. I don't know how courting another team's scout works but he's probably a Detroit lifer.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka