Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buff's slump/season?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Buff's slump/season?

Buff is available now in my league. I wont get into what it'll cost, it's a cap league, which makes player values really different.

Have other teams completely solved Buff? I never believed in 80 points (or that Atl was goin to make the playoffs), but 65 looked real. Now he's 'down' to a 61 point pace.

will he continue at a 60+ pace or continue to fall lower?
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%

Administrator

A lot of people were all-in with Buff (and other guys with sudden pops in production). Considering how much it was a huge surprise to see him start like that I caution against expecting elite numbers. He just never was a factor offensively except for short spurts in the playoffs. But you gotta think that Enstrom's imminent return will help things.

I'd label him a 50-60 point (goal heavy) dman. I think if he maintains his pace for the rest of the season it would be a big accomplishment.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'd label him a 50-60 point (goal heavy) dman.
    I'm inclined to agree with this although Byf has some upside perhaps in the 65-70 range if the stars aligned just right. Frankly, the entire ATL was playing over their heads and the season is catching up to them as the competition stiffens.

I still like him as a 55ish point D with 20-25 goals.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by andrewklassen View Post
    I still like him as a 55ish point D with 20-25 goals.
    Certainly feasible. Buff is in a situation that is suits his game perfectly. Even before Enstrom went down, Byfuglien was starting to slip a bit. His early PPG pace was a bit much, but 55-60 points are doable. He and Enstrom remind me a lot of the lethal Markov/Souray duo from a few years ago.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

I've never been sold on Buff as even a 60 point D
    I think 50-55 is his limit, I think his start was just due to the entire team, bursting out of the gates, also Enstrom really is his production so Buff produces when he does, so i believe that limits his upside as well
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm on the polar opposite here. I say get what you can for Buff now before ppl realize he's really a 40 point dman... just as he was as a forward. his situation i sgreat. tons of ice time and resposibility. no one pays attention to the fact that all his success came when alanta was facing zero challenges. once oppositions started shutting buff down and realizing atlanta's system, everything was easy. that has changed. Buff is not the 60, or even 50 point dman people are pegging him as. if you have him, trade him... if you don't like him, don't chase him.... his value is only going back down. buff is the worst player in the league to buy right now... number 1 guy to sell.... stay away
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    I'm on the polar opposite here. I say get what you can for Buff now before ppl realize he's really a 40 point dman... just as he was as a forward. his situation i sgreat. tons of ice time and resposibility. no one pays attention to the fact that all his success came when alanta was facing zero challenges. once oppositions started shutting buff down and realizing atlanta's system, everything was easy. that has changed. Buff is not the 60, or even 50 point dman people are pegging him as. if you have him, trade him... if you don't like him, don't chase him.... his value is only going back down. buff is the worst player in the league to buy right now... number 1 guy to sell.... stay away
    I agree with this, cept with Enstrom on his opposite on the PP he still might be able to push 50 at least once
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Ace

Im not trying to disagree with anything here, the guy has 2 points in his last 16 games, but he's only 24. We always say big bodied players take longer to develop. Is he hockey-mature beyond his years, and he's near the top of his offensive development?

and yes i agree most his points came from a perfect situation, not from being a perfect player.
    Weekly H2H

Dobber Sports Ace

also, in a league with G/A/P/PPP/+-/SOG, is he still a top 5 Dman because of his outrageous number of shots?
    Weekly H2H

Banned

Buff was the #1 guy I tried to acquire in the offseason for the purpose of 'flipping' him for profit...I was unable to get him in any of my leagues, but had I been able to I would have sold him at the all star break for a fat return and walked away happy

Dobber Sports Stud

In the final 24 games, I could see Buff getting 20 points.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Buffs numbers are corrolated to Enstrom. As long as Enstrom is healthy Buff will be 52+ d-man.

Pts Only 1y - 9 Teams
    F: Stamkos, H. Sedin, Voracek, St Louis, Hornquist, Ladd, Semin, Ribeiro, Hudler, Kuznetsov
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Letang, Goligoski
    G: Price, Holtby

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Last 5 games - 2 G, 2 A, 1 PPG, still getting a 25 minutes/game, almost all the PP time and 4 to 6 shots per game. The team is committed to him with a massive new contract. He's just entering his prime at 25 years old. He's one of the top 5 D to own. If your league gives more points for D goals (like mine), I'd be hard pressed to think of another D I'd rather have.

Dobber Sports Ace

i really like this kid but to me atlanta took a huge gamble signing this guy to that much money for half a season of good hockey.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Stud

I wouldn't be surprised if he never hits 50 again after this season. Not a believer.