Thread: How do i bend a hockey blade? HELP PLEASE

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default How do i bend a hockey blade? HELP PLEASE

How do i bend a hockey blade? please help?
    hey

can anyone explain to me on how i can bend a hockey blade. I have a easton synergy elite a one piece composite stick and the blade on this thing is very open and id like a more curved blade. so how do i go about bending the blade on ths thing? I heard about procurve but its too costly, so i was hoping there might me a homemade way to bend the blade.is there anyone on this forum whos done it before if so please explain to me how please

Once agian i know this is TOTALLY unrelated to fantasty hockey but i figuered since this forum has helped me out b4 it mite be able to do it again

thanks.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

in order to bend a blade you need to heat it up, which can be done by using a heat gun or even holding over a hot element on your stove. Once the blade is hot, you can bend it to get a more desireable curve, which can be done by stepping on it(with a shoe on of course lol)to get the curve you are after. I hope that makes sense.

bwhee

I\'m sure the heatgun would work really well.

We always used a blowtorch. You\'ve gotta keep it moving so you don\'t heat it up too much and weaken or burn your blade, but you get the blade hot where you want to bend and tweak it. We then used Mom\'s oven mitts (she didn\'t care for it much) and bent the blade with our hands so we got the bend we wanted.

Then just tape it up and wax if you want. Game on!

Dobber Sports Pro

WAIT. DO NOT BEND THE BLADE.

My understanding is that the new 1 piece composite sticks are not to be heated and bent. I would take it to a pro-shop at an arena and ask them. Procurve has been around a while and they do not mention composites.

I also thought the Easton Synergy had some ribbed coating on the blade for \"feel\" that you might mess up.

Below is my original response. I have done it before on older sticks and composite blades, like for aluminum sticks. Again this was written for non composites.

Bending a hockey blade is not something to mess with unless you are comfortable doing so. If this is strictly for ball hockey, recreation and a cheap stick, it is not that big of a deal. You can test for an illegal curve by sliding a dime vertically under the blade, while it lies flat on the ground. It should not be able to go under.

You should only bend a stick once and try to heat it only once. Also know what curve you are looking for. A little goes a long way for specific shots but can hamper your passing and handling ability. Unless you are comfortable with a hook tip, I do not recommend for ice hockey although it is a blast for ball hockey.

My best results have been to use a heat gun from Home depot, but the trainers I know use a blowtorch.

1. get some gloves - the blade gets hot, think oven mitts.
    2. do not burn the blade, keep the heat moving and do both sides of the blade. You are heating not cooking.
    3. Find something curved to bend it on. I have used a tin can, the larger the better like a big coffee, to bend the blade on. (take the label off the can) This allows you to use both hands to curve the blade. I have also found it easier to do on the ground so the stick is more easily managed.
    4. If you choose to use your hands, the gloves should allow you to grab the blade and apply pressure to where you want the curve. If you heated it properly, it should bend quite easily. Be careful not to twist the blade as you can affect the lie of the stick.
    5. If it is too tough to bend and you have surface to bend it on then you can step on it. Be careful not to go crazy.

Good luck......