Thread: [Toronto Maple Leafs] Game Recap

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default [Toronto Maple Leafs] Game Recap

Ok So Ron Wilson in his typical I hate my players fashion stole the thunder from his young netminder Reimer after posting his first ever career shutout by saying it had nothing to do with him. Great move Wilson that will do wonders for his confidence but I am guessing that you’re trying to make the old vet goalie feel better about himself, that would be my concern???

Really what is Wilson trying to do here? Reimer was solid last night and still had to make a respectable 28 saves. The team as a whole plays better with the kid in the net. His calm, cool deminer makes the whole team feel more confident and if it was just one game then there would be no merit in it but it’s not just one game its every time Reimer starts a game. His persona is taken on by the whole team and they look more relaxed and don’t seem to be over playing but keeping it simple and in hand. He is only one win back from Gustavsson and half way to Giguere’s win totals and he has played less than half the games that they have.

Watching his game last night you could say that he is a younger Cam Ward not known but for his flashy saves (expect for the one last night) but a very square goalie that plays his angles well and always seems to be in the right position to make the save.
    Wilson needs to recognize what he has here and that’s a young team that plays for their respect because really the play-offs are a very long shot and respect is all they have left to play for. So why knock them down ala-Nazem-Kadri.

The other thing that stood out in last night’s game was the play of Phil Kessel. He went into this game with a chip on his shoulder for sure after being shunned at the All-Star game by Eric Staal and his comments. He was all over the ice using his great speed and stick handling and it was easily his best game in a very long time and he didn’t even register a point. Though I am sure that Leaf fans in general could accept pointless games like that one (At least for awhile) all kidding aside it was a great game from Kessel and we can only hope as Leafs fans that he gets insulted like that before every game.

Lastly how could anyone have watched that game last night and not have noticed what was one of the best defensive shifts since the old BOZ line. What a great defensive showing by Tim Brent with three blocked shots off the stick of Eric Staal in a crucial part of the game. It’s great to see that heart on the team and he is a role player that is going to make this team better the one that every team needs and will be a part of a very solid fourth line with Brown and Orr going forward.

All and all great game last night the entire team looked strong and we can only hope for this kind of a showing down the stretch as we try to salvage our dignity.

Go Leafs Go!

Administrator

I'm so pissed at Versteeg for scoring that third goal and taking some of the shine off what I think was the save of the year from Cam Ward. Dude is gearing up for his bi-annual playoff Iceman mode. If the Hurricanes could get a better team in front of him they'd do damage every season because they've got him and Staal as some of the best clutch/playoff performers in the league.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'm so pissed at Versteeg for scoring that third goal and taking some of the shine off what I think was the save of the year from Cam Ward. Dude is gearing up for his bi-annual playoff Iceman mode. If the Hurricanes could get a better team in front of him they'd do damage every season because they've got him and Staal as some of the best clutch/playoff performers in the league.
    It was an incredible save best I have seen all year. I had to double take I just didn't think that he got there but he did!! Crazy awesome trade and with the kids that have coming up in Boychuck and the progression of their young star Skinner they are not far off having a great team I think though they could change up their D a bit