Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13 53 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast

Thread: Elliotte Friedman's 32 Thoughts

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Elliotte Friedman's 32 Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I had to stop listening to the Marek Friedman hits on a regular basis because Friedman has his phone sounds on and you can literally hear those annoying iPhone ping noises and the goddamn typing sound effects (you can also tell when hes not paying attention because of it). I wrote into the show several times saying it was annoying and it appears to have fallen on deaf ears. I don't think there's many people in radio who could get away with that much background disturbance. Kinda sucks as the hits are usually filled with little rumour tidbits. I know a lot of people don't care but I think I have some degree of misophonia and can't put up with it.

That said for all I know he has stopped doing this. I couldnt tell you cause I stopped listening at the end of last season and just stick with the 32 Thoughts Pod where he at least doesnt make all of that background noise.

Also: I know what you mean about the excessive mocking of Marek/self deprecating humour. At a certain point it almost has the reverse effect as coming off as arrogant instead of making people go 'wow these guys are really humble, they can make a joke about themselves!'.

Sorry, I guess I am feeling a bit grumpy today My solution was just to stop listening but now that you brought this up it is very relatable.
    Two comments:

- Friedman just did that annoying background activity noise thing TODAY. It sounded like weights again, or maybe a hockey rink. So no they haven’t stopped it, it’s almost as if they think they’re so awesome that they can get away with super annoying behavior. I mean honestly, I want to hear Elliotte’s latest NHL insider tidbits, but the last thing I want to hear is him huffing and puffing while working out. Or worse, sometimes he’s talking WHILE EATING. Like WTF?!

- I have misophonia! For years I couldn’t understand why the sound of people chewing food would enrage me, then I read about misophonia… But honestly this Friedman thing, imo, has nothing to do with that - it’s simply legit annoying to anyone listening.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Marek is a complete knob. Biggest loser in hockey media today. And he’s just so so desperate to “be in the club” of players even though he never played. Pays to get his kids access, pays extra to work out at an “NHL” gym. Just sad.
    Ok I was trying to be nice but all these comments are resonating.

The word that most often comes to mind when I listen to Marek is “smarmy” - don’t ask me why.

I used to really like Friedman but it’s gotten old even without the working out while broadcasting stupidity.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Two comments:

- Friedman just did that annoying background activity noise thing TODAY. It sounded like weights again, or maybe a hockey rink. So no they haven’t stopped it, it’s almost as if they think they’re so awesome that they can get away with super annoying behavior. I mean honestly, I want to hear Elliotte’s latest NHL insider tidbits, but the last thing I want to hear is him huffing and puffing while working out. Or worse, sometimes he’s talking WHILE EATING. Like WTF?!

- I have misophonia! For years I couldn’t understand why the sound of people chewing food would enrage me, then I read about misophonia… But honestly this Friedman thing, imo, has nothing to do with that - it’s simply legit annoying to anyone listening.
    The lunch thing I was going to mention but I thought I'd pull a couple punches...

Does he still have his phone sounds on during the segments? For some reason it's the iPhone noises that get me. I don't have an iPhone but if I did I would find it really confusing to listen to that podcast with my headphones in, if not just be really annoyed haha.

I feel like this should almost be a separate thread now.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Titan

As much as I hate Kyper as an insider, I started to like Bourne, McKee and Kyper's podcast way more than 32 Thoughts. They can't touch on insider knowledge like EF does, but their talks on the hockey environment I find way more entertaining now. However, they can't have a good show without EF and 32 Thoughts.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

I wasn't going to pile on but you guys are bang on with the comments.

I had to actually skip the Elliot part yesterday because I couldn't make him out through the background noise.

I don't mind Marek all that much, his content is usually really good and he gets some great people on to talk to. But he does get very repetitive. He will say the same 5-6 long-winded sentences multiple times per show when talking on a subject.

Does 32 thoughts as a column even exist anymore?

Seems like Elliotte used to be one of the hardest workers in the business but now he doesn't even put the effort in.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I wasn't going to pile on but you guys are bang on with the comments.

I had to actually skip the Elliot part yesterday because I couldn't make him out through the background noise.

I don't mind Marek all that much, his content is usually really good and he gets some great people on to talk to. But he does get very repetitive. He will say the same 5-6 long-winded sentences multiple times per show when talking on a subject.

Does 32 thoughts as a column even exist anymore?

Seems like Elliotte used to be one of the hardest workers in the business but now he doesn't even put the effort in.
    It upsets me when he goes on Tim and Friends looking like a bum. His beard and scruffy look is funny during the offseason, and during the COVID yr, but the fact they allow it to continue (wild hair, sweats) is a bit ridiculous.

If Seravalli didn't give the middle finger to SN and TSN essentially, he'd be the top insider and knock EF off his pedestal. He isn't even the first to break things anymore, and his twitter is even late for waiver news which he used to be the best at.

He's slowly become a TV Stations puppet, he still has valid sources, but he's no longer the best. That's between Kevin Weekes and Seravalli for me. Pagnotta is better even.

Dobber Sports Monster

I just listened to a bit of the Friedman hit with Marchese yesterday to see what it was like. Awful. Should have just told him to call back when he finds somewhere quieter to call in from.

Dobber Sports All-Star

He was on today and that phone thing kept happening. Cmon dude have some respect for the listeners. I also agree Marek has a hard on for Sprong and usually says the same things over many weeks. Don’t look now but Carlo Colaiacovo is hard at work trying to become an insider, he says Kane might become a Leaf lol. We’ll see Cola.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd glad I'm not the only one who thinks its very annoying that these 'professionals' think its perfectly acceptable to do their podcast or radio hits from distracting locations with plenty of background noise. Bob McKenzie, just before going into semi retirement, did weekly AM radio with just a terrible sounding cell phone. I've heard other guys do their interviews while driving or riding in the back of cabs/Ubers. Craig Button has done some morning spots where he sounds like he is cooking breakfast or doing the dishes.
    I don't make time for podcasts so I don't bother with Marek/Freidman but I'm not surprised by what the rest of you guys are already saying.

32 thoughts, as it stands, is dead to me now, I don't seek it out anymore because EF has definitely been mailing it in for close to a year now.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I haven't heard that much disturbance on 32 Thoughts. The show has its drawbacks, but it's not like I know that many other that are much better. It's still one of the podcasts I listen to. This, and more sporadically from the Athletic and PDOcast.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    I haven't heard that much disturbance on 32 Thoughts. The show has its drawbacks, but it's not like I know that many other that are much better. It's still one of the podcasts I listen to. This, and more sporadically from the Athletic and PDOcast.
    As far as hockey content and news 32 Thoughts and Jeff Marek are good.

I love Ray & Dregs (Ferraro and Dreger), almost entirely due to Ferraro’s content - that guy is amazing.

Like Chris Johnson show but waaaaaay too many ads and I really hate those gambling/betting portions. Hate then on the Ray/Dregs thing too.

Athletic has even more annoying ad content. Informative though.

As a Habs fan I love the Athletic Support Basu thing, he and Marc Andre are a solid combo.

Steve Dangle has good content but I will never listen to it for one reason - that INANE SUPER-ANNOYING CACKLING SMARMY LAUGH by whoever that guy is, Wylde? So annoying. And of course it’s so Leaf-centric…

Dobber Sports Titan

The Steve Dangle Podcast summary:
    Dangle - "Remember that time before when this thing happened?! OMG, I can't believe that happens. I make reaction videos after every Leaf game for a decade so I'm crazy!"
    Wylde - Literally leans back and opens eyes wide "HA HA HA HA".
    Jesse Black - "Well I am a GM when I play a video game so I think that's a good take"

or

"Let me bring up CapFriendly and comment on a situation I don't remember"

Steve Dangle's fans grew up and he didn't change his persona to match his fans maturity. His fans are typically the teenager/pre-teen group and they are like the Uncool uncles now. I can't see his thing being popular long. They tried to get him on TV and it flopped, he is as high as he'll ever go.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I honestly cant believe anyone likes Dangle. I really can't believe anyone ever liked Dangle. But Leafs fans like Leafs stuff, so I assume it's that it. I personally think he's an embarrassment to the entire fanbase, and would feel that way if he was a fan of my favorite team, but everyone likes different stuff.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I honestly cant believe anyone likes Dangle. I really can't believe anyone ever liked Dangle. But Leafs fans like Leafs stuff, so I assume it's that it. I personally think he's an embarrassment to the entire fanbase, and would feel that way if he was a fan of my favorite team, but everyone likes different stuff.
    If there was another Hockey persona doing what he did effectively, they'd take over. DowntownSports has produced a lot better content in his shorter popularity run.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I love Ray & Dregs (Ferraro and Dreger), almost entirely due to Ferraro’s content - that guy is amazing.
    Thanks. I haven't listened to them before.