Page 12 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Elliotte Friedman's 32 Thoughts

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Interesting nugget:
    22. Cam Ward started 74 games for the Hurricanes last season. Normally, in a year like that, the backup faces the dregs of the NHL. Not this time. The eight teams Ward didn't start against included six playoff teams: the Kings, Flyers, Penguins, Lightning, Blackhawks and Capitals. Paul Maurice clearly saved Ward for games he felt he had a better chance of winning. Guessing he will have more confidence in Brian Boucher for some of those nights.

I'm really curious if this was intentional.
    If so... I may be buying on Cam Ward this year.

Dobber Sports Expert

justin peters was NOT reliable last year.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

As usual, fantastic 30 thoughts.

That story about Red Wings' fan Earl Cook is an absolutely fantastic piece. Take the time to watch it

29. Posted the link yesterday on twitter about Earl Cook, the incredibly inspiring Red Wings fan who died on the weekend. Last year, I was at a morning skate for a game Earl also attended. Turned to my left, and while Mike Babcock was scrumming with the media, Cook was wearing Chris Osgood's glove and blocker, pretending to make saves on the floor. I had to leave the room I was laughing so hard. Invest the time in the story, it's a great piece of work

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    As usual, fantastic 30 thoughts.

That story about Red Wings' fan Earl Cook is an absolutely fantastic piece. Take the time to watch it

Whoa. You're right, that is a helluva story - & that fella has some mighty big cojones !

I'm not an especially huge RedWings fan....but ya gotta admit how that shows a ton of class for the organization. Nice to see NHL'ers proving once again that they are the most caring, down-to-earth athletes ( and coaches, lol ) around. Now I'll have my eyes peeled for Earl in any morning skate videos outta Motor City !

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 2Evils View Post
    Whoa. You're right, that is a helluva story - & that fella has some mighty big cojones !

I'm not an especially huge RedWings fan....but ya gotta admit how that shows a ton of class for the organization. Nice to see NHL'ers proving once again that they are the most caring, down-to-earth athletes ( and coaches, lol ) around. Now I'll have my eyes peeled for Earl in any morning skate videos outta Motor City !

Earl actually has since passed away since that video (per Elliotte). Last weekend.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Aye...a bit of a gaffe on my part there. Sad to hear of his passing.

Not being overtly religious, I won't mention prayers - but I do offer him my respect.

Last edited by Shenanigans; September 26, 2011 at 10:12 AM.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Here it is, everyones favorite read!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...rey-perry.html

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by letnry View Post
    Here it is, everyones favorite read!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...rey-perry.html
    Looks like b0ndon has something to read during class today! LOL. Thanks letnry.

On an unrelated note, I saw a hilarious tweet earlier today, where somebody coined the term "SHANABANNED" for any player that is handed a suspension lol...funny stuff.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Looks like b0ndon has something to read during class today! LOL. Thanks letnry.

On an unrelated note, I saw a hilarious tweet earlier today, where somebody coined the term "SHANABANNED" for any player that is handed a suspension lol...funny stuff.
    I can see the 'Shanabanned', or 'Shanahan Ban' being incorporated into the Ducks' NHL award show video at the end of this year. Can have some very funny lines with Scott Neidermeyer.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Superstar

This one made me laugh, but is actually probably common.

18. After Ottawa's opening pre-season game, saw Mika Zibanejad limping towards the bus on an obviously sore foot. "What bad luck in his first game," I thought. Shot off the foot? Leg give way on a turn? Nope. Apparently, he was a little nervous and tied his skates too tight. He's fine.

Administrator

Oh Elliott! He makes my dreams come true every Monday.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

25. Avalanche forward T.J. Galiardi had an interesting method of adding weight this summer. He really struggled to do it, so he ate a ton before starting to train. That put on the mass, which he worked hard to shape. Good thing, because there was some concern it was a bad idea.
    Bulking and cutting. Age old principle.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Pro

Angus, love the picture! Had that .gif in my signature for awhile. Favorite Giroux moment.
    Follow me on X! Renegade_H

16 team Banger league
    G,A,PPP,BLK,HITS,PIM,SOG,W,GAA,S%,SAVES

FWDS
    Robertson, Stamkos, Kyrou, Huberdeau, Necas, Carlsson, Rossi, McMichael, Coleman, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Kuzmenko, Hathaway, Hoglander, Domi, Barbashev, Newhook

DMEN
    Montour, Burns, Hanifin, Sanheim, Walman, Pionk, Provorov

GOALIES
    Fluery, Montembeault, Wedgewood, Raanta

Injured
    F. Andersen, Landeskog, Hamilton

PROSPECT POOL
    Kasper, Moore, Ostlund, Yurov, Morrow, Zellweger, Nazar

Dobber Sports Demi-God

My favourite this week:

22. The Maple Leafs are thinking about switching Cody Franson, a right-handed shot, to the left side. Franson played that way for the first time and "It felt awkward," he told The Globe and Mail. "Everything takes a second longer ... You've got to pull pucks in the offensive zone off the wall with your backhand instead of your forehand." That's a tough skill. Who did it best? According to Garry Galley, it was Ray Bourque: "He could do it in one motion. It was pretty amazing."

I can often tell from a discussion whether somebody played hockey growing up based on arguments like switching wings or switching defensive sides. Pulling a puck off the boards is a seldom-discussed skill, especially as the speed of a game gets faster at each level. It's a hockey trait that's almost never discussed - because it isn't sexy. But it can be really tough at times... especially when you know somebody is coming.

Dobber Sports Expert

by far this is always my favorite thing to read about hockey...always a interesting fun read....
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.