Thread: Should I move Jeff Skinner?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Should I move Jeff Skinner?

Here's the offer I've got in my 10-team, auction, H2H partial keeper:

My LW Jeff Skinner (1.0M) + LW/RW Nikita Filatov (4.35M)

for

His Ilya Bryzgalov (0.75M) + C Brayden Schenn (1.5M)

Points only, 100M cap. I can't keep Filatov anyway and he doesn't hold much trade value at that price given that he's not producing (to give you an idea, I've got Eriksson for the same price). Skinner and Schenn are both in farm systems so can be automatically protected.

The way the pool works is that you play another GM for two weeks. 2LW, 2C, 2RW, 4D, 2G. You get a "goal" if you win a position (i.e. your 2 LWs outscore his 2 LWs).

Here are my current keepers:

LW: Fleischmann (also centre-eligible), Huselius
    C: Thornton, Berglund, Gagner, Savard
    RW: St. Louis (also LW-eligible), Eriksson (also LW-eligible)
    D: Rafalski, Visnovsky, Yandle, Streit, Zidlicky
    G: Ward, Neuvirth
    Farm: Skinner, MPS, Morin, Tarasenko

It's looking like I'll have the second overall pick in our off-season drafts so I'll be adding someone like RNH/Couturier/Landeskog to the farm, as well as one of Kovalchuk/Kane/Heatley/Getzlaf.

What are your thoughts? Is the difference between Skinner and Schenn that big? Or are they about the same, making it essentially boil down to Bryz for Filatov, which is a no-brainer?

Administrator

I think the difference between Skinner and Schenn is pretty big, but you've got a chance to solve a lot of issues in goal with this move. Not sure you can pass this up.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

The gap between Skinner and Schenn is just way to big for me to make this trade. Schenn is never going to be fantasy relevant. If you really (and I emphasize really) need a goalie then consider it.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    The gap between Skinner and Schenn is just way to big for me to make this trade. Schenn is never going to be fantasy relevant. If you really (and I emphasize really) need a goalie then consider it.
    Never? I dont think ive seen anybody on this site make such a claim before..
    16 Team H2H Full Keeper: G, A, Pts, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, FW, GAA, SV%, W, SV, SO
    Start: 4c, 4lw, 4rw, 6d, 2g, 8 bench

Center: Eichel, Scheifele, Nelson, Pirri
    Left Wing: Huberdeau, Hoffman (C/LW), Maroon, Soderberg (C/LW)
    Right Wing: Kessel, Little (C/RW), Nyquist (C/RW), Zucarrello (LW/RW)
    Defense: Karlsson, Carlson, Savard, Stone, Petry, McNabb
    Goalie: Bishop, Anderson, Raanta
    Bench: Lander, JT Miller, Eakin, Gerbe (C/LW), Dorsett, Jurco, Coyle (C/RW)

Farm: Gormley, S. Morin, Paquette, Weal, Poirier, Vesey, Goldobin, Fiala, Sprong, Copp, Griffith, Stolarz (G), Visentin (G), Bibeau (G), S. Williams (G)

Dobber Sports Ace

Me either. Are you sure your not talking about Luke Schenn??

Brayden Schenn is a good talent on a fantastic team.

Smyth,Williams,Stoll are getting older.

Contracts will be given out, and he'll still be cheap and will get top 6 minutes.

SKinner is better but if this can solve your goalie issues i'd jump all over it. Especially with Filatov's high wages.

Maybe shop Skinner around and get a younger goalie??

Dobber Sports Genius

No doubt Skinner looks great and his future is likely strong as a top 10 center but , he's at a sell high point and you won't be keeping Filatov , so you get a stud #1 goalie in Bryz and a future center who may equal or surpass Skinner.
    Smoothmove in my books.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Master

Getting Bryz is huge, especially at this price. Good trade.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Padawan

Take this deal NOW! I agree with the argument that Skinner holds more value than Schenn but who cares!!! You're getting Bryz for essentially nothing with Filatov at that price. Bryz at $0.75 is a steal of a price and you're getting rid of a bad contact...everyone on this thread is beating the Skinner vs Schenn to death when really the value in this trade for you is Bryz...the argument for me is Skinner vs Bryz (give me Bryz 100% of the time) and then Schenn vs Filatov...fair on that side but the contracts make me like Schenn more...

This is a no brainer for me...goodluck!
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Pro

Schenn never fantasy relevant? LOL!

Filatov is an easy drop. You have to take Bryz over Skinner. Schenn is a bonus.

Personally I dont see that big an upside to Skinner. However in a position league, he has more value as a winger. The salary aspect I cant comment on.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for all your advice guys. Despite you making logical points for why I should move Skinner, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I couldn't overcome Bryzgalov's UFA status combined with the fact that wingers are more valuable in my league than goalies (the two-week block system makes the goalie match-ups a bit of a shit-show). And while I'm not going to keep Filatov, I'll regret moving him now (at a low) if he gets moved at the deadline or in the off-season. With a change of scenery, I imagine his trade value will improve.

I ended up getting Halak for Morin and Hemsky. Hemsky was unsustainable at his salary (other guy is gearing up for the playoffs though so took him as a rental) and while Halak costs a lot more at 6.3M, I didn't have to part with Skinner, who I hope will be a key part of my rebuild.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you for the advice!