Thread: [Toronto Maple Leafs] Goaltending Situation

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default [Toronto Maple Leafs] Goaltending Situation

I had this posted in my Leaf section but after reading what GMGATES said about posting the articles in the main thread decided to re-post as its still current...

The Leafs goaltending situation is now more confusing than ever with Riemer back up, Giguere apparently healthy again and the supposed-to-be future goalie slumping badly and likely to be a healthy scratch.

Leaf fans are racking their brains over what is going to happen in the nets in Leaf Land. Really two years ago the rage was Gustavsson and when the Leafs won the sweepstakes to bring in the highly touted netminder fans were excited to have him the nets for the future. Hell at that time anyone would have been and still is an upgrade over Toskala. Then Burke made the deal to get rid of Toskala and in turn brought in J.S. Giguere and his lofty salary. Giguere was brought in not to be the number one goalie but to be the veteran presence that young Gustavsson needed to guide him through the transition of becoming an NHL starting goaltender.

Well fast forward to this year that has seen Giguere in and out of the lineup due to a nagging groin injury and "The Monster" having the continued battle with consistency. Gustavsson has shown flashes of why Burke went out and signed him in the first place and then has had clunkers like the Rangers game. Yes the team itself has been inconsistent and has played poor defensively at times, but then there was James Reimer. Who? Exactly Reimer has been called up before but has seen very limited action, but once he got in well we all know what happened. Reimer came in and won 4 of 6 games and had two big wins on a tough Western road trip posting great numbers and shutting down teams that the Leafs would normally not show well against.

The 22 year old James Reimer had been put on the back burner in the AHL for new comer Jussi Ryanns and is currently ranked lower on the Leafs prospect list on www.hockeysfuture.com than Ryanns is . Ryanns is second and Reimer is now seventh but had previously not been in the top ten. Still he was the more veteran of the two and when the Leafs needed a backup he got the call. Ryanns is still highly touted in the organization and only adds to the confusion for the future but for this year his home will be the Marlies. Reimer on the other hand has gotten the call again and is slated to start in Tuesday’s game against Tampa Bay with Giguere getting the start Monday versus the Canes.

If Reimer has a strong game against the Lightning then look for this scenario to continue with Giguere and Reimer splitting starts. Wilson has already come out said that he is thinking of send Gustavsson down after the All-Star break for a conditioning stint and really it may just be the best thing for him and the Leafs. It will give Gustavsson a chance to regain his confidence and it will give the Leafs a chance to get an extended look at Reimer to see what they have in the kid going forward.

Make no doubt that the Leafs are shopping Giguere trying to move his contract. Also you will also see Gustavsson back up with Leafs sooner rather than later in hopes that he can regain his confidence it will give the Leafs at a minimum a decent trading asset which they have very few of.

In Toronto it’s safe to say that everyone is rooting on Reimer in hopes that this is the guy that we have been waiting for to take the reins of the number one spot in the nets. If he is the guy then the Leafs will likely roll with him as their true starter next year and have Gustavsson backup as Ryanns gets another year of professional hockey under his belt.

The only thing clear right now is that nothing is clear and that we are all waiting for one guy to step up and be the man and good luck to whomever that ends up being because the pressure to maintain that status will never be higher!

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...=88400&page=23

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If I was Toronto (which I'm not, and sadly, they don't listen to my opinions) I would keep Giguere and sign him for a cheap deal next year for some mentorship/leadership which the Leafs definitely need.

Reimer's been playing great, Gustavsson's been sucking. The Leafs aren't going anywhere, so might as well give the guy who's playing good a shot. Send Gustavsson down to the minors, let Reimer take the reins for a bit under the guidance of Giguere and let Gusty build up some confidence again after a dismal season thus far.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    If I was Toronto (which I'm not, and sadly, they don't listen to my opinions) I would keep Giguere and sign him for a cheap deal next year for some mentorship/leadership which the Leafs definitely need.

Reimer's been playing great, Gustavsson's been sucking. The Leafs aren't going anywhere, so might as well give the guy who's playing good a shot. Send Gustavsson down to the minors, let Reimer take the reins for a bit under the guidance of Giguere and let Gusty build up some confidence again after a dismal season thus far.
    If you can resign him for cheap then I am not totally against that at all Giggy is a great Veteran goalie and maybe all we had was the wrong kid for him to groom?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Pretty sure Gustavsson's on a one-way contract so he would have to clear waivers in order to be sent down no? I don't think there's any way that he could clear waivers, even with the way he's been playing. The Leafs keep shooting themselves in the foot with trying to make the playoffs.. stop playing Giguere so much and throw Gustavsson back in there. If he's really your future then give him a workload, don't throw him in once in awhile so he has no confidence.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hannuemen View Post
    Pretty sure Gustavsson's on a one-way contract so he would have to clear waivers in order to be sent down no? I don't think there's any way that he could clear waivers, even with the way he's been playing. The Leafs keep shooting themselves in the foot with trying to make the playoffs.. stop playing Giguere so much and throw Gustavsson back in there. If he's really your future then give him a workload, don't throw him in once in awhile so he has no confidence.
    Gus can be sent down no doubt about it and he has already said that he will accept it if thats what the Leafs want to do. I also agree that they need to play Giguere less they are not a playoff team but I would for now run with Reimer to see what you have, he may in the end make Gustavsson expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    If you can resign him for cheap then I am not totally against that at all Giggy is a great Veteran goalie and maybe all we had was the wrong kid for him to groom?
    Even goalie-grooming aside, he's one of the only real veteran leaders on the team. Toronto needs someone like him.

Quote Originally Posted by hannuemen View Post
    You don't think he'd clear waivers? Not many teams have cap space, and Leighton has proven himself to be better than Gusty and he went unclaimed. There's no market for goalies in general.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Even goalie-grooming aside, he's one of the only real veteran leaders on the team. Toronto needs someone like him.
    I think the only leadership role that he would be counted on for is in the nets really with guys like Armstrong and Kaberle and Beauchemin around still they have leadership not to mention the Captain which is a very outspoken player and a perfect fit for the team.

I still do like Giggy as a mentor to Reimer or Gustavsson whoever takes the role

I think the only leadership role that he would be counted on for is in the nets really with guys like Armstrong and Kaberle and Beauchemin around still they have leadership not to mention the Captain which is a very outspoken player and a perfect fit for the team.

I still do like Giggy as a mentor to Reimer or Gustavsson whoever takes the role
    I forget whether it was Friedman, or Marek, or whoever, but one of those guys was tweeting the other day about how important Giggy was to the team as far as leadership.

Dobber Sports Veteran

problem is I dont think that he wants to be there unless he is the number one goalie. I have heard a lot of interviews with this guy and thats what always jumps out at me. That said I really dont think that he could be a true #1 anywhere anymore so if he could relish the role of mentor I think that he could bring the game of one or both of those two young goalies to the next level. He will make a great goalie coach one day!

Don't think he'll be a #1 anywhere.

He took a quick fall - from .922SV% with 2.12GAA to B2B seasons with .900SV% and 3.10/3.14GAA.

Brutal.

Administrator

You don't think he'd clear waivers? Not many teams have cap space, and Leighton has proven himself to be better than Gusty and he went unclaimed. There's no market for goalies in general.
    I've said this before but I bet the Sens would put in a claim. Just to stick it to their rival.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I've said this before but I bet the Sens would put in a claim. Just to stick it to their rival.
    It's certainly possible. It would be funny anyway

Dobber Sports Expert

You know what I hate about Jiggy? He's consistenty solid. He has a good night, but not a great night. He lets in just enough for the other team to win. He does not play as well as the other goalie across from him on the other side of the rink. He nevers steals a game.

That's why I've soured on him this year.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well I guess we will all see come next week wont we Wilson was thinking after the All-Star break he may go down!

Well I guess we will all see come next week wont we Wilson was thinking after the All-Star break he may go down!
    Trade you Bulin for Giguere.