Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Retired - Atlanta Thrashers

Dobber Sports Icon

Arrow Spot the difference

You can talk all you want about the supposed 'fan support' for the Thrashers.

I don't see it.

In Winnipeg it's a bit different:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...-week-is-over/

“You have to remember, we lived and died with the Winnipeg Jets,” he [Wpg. Mayor Sam Katz] said. “And then they were taken — and I say taken, we didn’t lose them. The fans supported that team, but the problem was there was a lack of leadership in getting the arena built.
    “That was our problem. That’s quite different than not getting fan support.”
    The photograph at the top of the story says it all though - if there are any pics like that from Atlanta I haven't seen them.

Just give us our damn game back.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    You can talk all you want about the supposed 'fan support' for the Thrashers.

I don't see it.

In Winnipeg it's a bit different:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...-week-is-over/

The photograph at the top of the story says it all though - if there are any pics like that from Atlanta I haven't seen them.

Just give us our damn game back.
    How about maybe you shouldn't have lost it in the first place?
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    the jets did not leave winnipeg because of problems with fan support. They left because of the piss-poor canadian dollar at the time and the fact that no one was willing to step up and build a new rink in winnipeg. They lacked corporate leadership and strong ownership but fan support was never a problem.

Dobber Sports Stud

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/mobile...937/story.html

On a side note, I just purchased a Jets hat today. I happened to be in Mitchell n Ness and saw it so I bought it along with an Atlanta Flames hat. I've always wanted a Jets hat so it has nothing to do with the relocation rumors, although if it does happen, I'll already have some gear.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Icon

It's explained in the article. Read.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Administrator

As I'm writing this Gary Bettman is weaseling his way through another press conference. But at this point the move is all but done. Regardless of whether or not Atlanta could support a team, poor ownership ensured that we can never find out.

I really enjoyed the coverage in this thread. I hope that you can continue covering the Thrashers or another team.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry for your loss Atlanta. I know we have a few Thrashers fans on the board and I feel very badly for you guys.

I'm stoked to see Canada get another team and whatever the brand, they jump right to the top of my favorite Canadian teams list.

Also, I wanted to point out this Puck Daddy article about the Thrashers still selling season tickets an hour before they announced they were leaving:
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...urn=nhl-wp6063

Much like PD, I'm not trying to hurt the fans anymore, just pointing out the epic mismanagement of the team.

Once again, I'm sure there are some great fans in Atlanta and I hope this doesn't turn them off of hockey completely.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just a random question: How many current NHLers were born in Atlanta?
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Stud

My whole perspective on hockey has changed. I could care less about every southern hockey market now, with ATL gone. I wish the worst for all of them, and hope many of them move to Canada. Get Quebec their team back next.

It may sound like my emotions have gotten to me here. I just don't think moving Atlanta, yet keeping some of these worse off franchises could ever be justified unless they are relocated as well. Southern markets do not have my sympathy anymore.

I think I'm gonna get on a plane to Atlanta and cry with the die hards. Then get on a plane to Winnipeg and celebrate with the die hards. I'm still a fan of the franchise and still, and will always be, an Atlanta Sports Fan. I'm proud to have called myself a Thrashers fan. One that stuck with them no matter what, watched every game no matter what. It was a great run, Atlanta fans. Thanks for the memories, Thrashers.

Also, I'm still going to continue to cover them for Dobbers because I'm still the same die hard fan that I was yesterday, and I still love to discuss them and give my perspective. I've been speaking to GMGates about this and I think it's best we close this thread and I start the new one from scratch. I don't think we should close it until Winnipeg has an official team name.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; May 31, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Superstar

My whole perspective on hockey has changed. I could care less about every southern hockey market now, with ATL gone. I wish the worst for all of them, and hope many of them move to Canada. Get Quebec their team back next.

It may sound like my emotions have gotten to me here. I just don't think moving Atlanta, yet keeping some of these worse off franchises could ever be justified unless they are relocated as well. Southern markets do not have my sympathy anymore.
    You have got to be kidding me! Or maybe you're just being facetious, in which case I apologize ahead of time for misinterpreting you. You have been saying all along that this move has nothing to do with location/fan support, but rather ownership's ineptness, but now that Atlanta has unfortunately lost their team, you will wish the same fate on several other markets and their fans? That's extremely two-sided and for someone who was ranting about how Jets fans should know how it feels to lose a team and have more compassion for disappointed Thrashers fans, I am surprised you would change your tune and turn against all other southern hockey markets all of a sudden. Just because things didn't work out in the favor of Thrashers fans, doesn't mean you pick up your puck and go home so to speak.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by letnry View Post
    You have got to be kidding me! Or maybe you're just being facetious, in which case I apologize ahead of time for misinterpreting you. You have been saying all along that this move has nothing to do with location/fan support, but rather ownership's ineptness, but now that Atlanta has unfortunately lost their team, you will wish the same fate on several other markets and their fans? That's extremely two-sided and for someone who was ranting about how Jets fans should know how it feels to lose a team and have more compassion for disappointed Thrashers fans, I am surprised you would change your tune and turn against all other southern hockey markets all of a sudden. Just because things didn't work out in the favor of Thrashers fans, doesn't mean you pick up your puck and go home so to speak.
    But the Thrashers have no fans/fan support because they're a southern market, therefore those teams have no fans either. Move em all.

Seriously, add those teams to my hate list. I don't hate them all, but I do hate Phoenix. And how does this surprise you? My team gets jerked, Bettman doesn't have anything to say for himself, yet when it comes to Phoenix he's dancing on the streets trying to turn people who can't even spell hockey into hockey fans. There is no way that I let this slip in my own way. I hate southern hockey for it, whether you agree with it or not. Give Atlanta fans an expansion, and the chance to build a real market in this future and I'll support southern markets. As of now, I hope to God Phoenix is gone after this season. And just like no one felt bad for Atlanta, I could care less about those fan bases in question. I'll just say what everyone said to me... "You have no fans, you don't belong, give em back to a city that cares"

I don't pick up my puck and go home. I pick up my puck and go to Winnipeg, with my team.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; June 1, 2011 at 4:39 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Superstar

I guess what surprises me is your abrupt change of attitude. Suppose maybe its easier for you to adjust and say to hell with them all because the move doesn't affect you like those of us that actually go to games. You can still follow the team on TV and the internet just the same, with a different name, where as those in Atlanta are stuck going to ECHL Gladiators for live hockey. Where is the same sympathy you had hoped Winnipegers would show you?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by letnry View Post
    I guess what surprises me is your abrupt change of attitude. Suppose maybe its easier for you to adjust and say to hell with them all because the move doesn't affect you like those of us that actually go to games. You can still follow the team on TV and the internet just the same, with a different name, where as those in Atlanta are stuck going to ECHL Gladiators for live hockey. Where is the same sympathy you had hoped Winnipegers would show you?
    It's not really abrupt. I believe I announced that I would have this change of attitude if Atlanta moved. Actually, I did announce it, whether it was on this forum or not. The move affects me, but differently than someone who actually lives in Atlanta. All of my Atlanta friends are picking up and supporting teams like Nashville. I don't live in Atlanta though so I don't have the same outlook, nor would I ever hop on another team. But I don't condemned their choices because I'd probably feel the same way if I lived in Atlanta. I'll admit, I wanted to see some southern markets succeed in the playoffs, and in the past just to put some naysayers away that would say sotuhern hockey fails. However, Atlanta is gone. Not only that, we were screwed. The way I see it, it cannot be justified. Atlanta didn't deserve to go. To keep Phoenix over Atlanta is a disgrace to me. Just the thought of that makes me sick. I'll never hope for a southern market to do good ever again. you take Atlanta away, you take my interest in the other southern markets away.

What sympathy are you speaking of here? I'm guessing it was what I brought up about Winnipeg fans a few weeks ago. I only wanted Winnipegers to stop acting like immature children and bashing my fanbase. Did they not know that there are Thrashers fans out there that will continue following?
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; June 1, 2011 at 5:11 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ok, fair enough. Each to their own, thanks.

Banned

If they become the Moose, I love this fan's concept. The shoulder crest is great.