Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Retired - Atlanta Thrashers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thieving Giraffe View Post
    Apparently only 200 people showed up for the rally in Atlanta. Over 35,000 reportedly attended the Save the Jets rally in 1995. Even if that number was exaggerated 2-to-1 and the actual Atlanta rally had been double the 200... well, I haven't been a proponent of moving franchises, but that's telling.
    bwahahahaha, that sums it up pretty well I think, 2 orders of magnitude smaller than predicted, priceless

Banned

The demographics of Atlanta just won't allow hockey to be successful there. Southern caucasians prefer the Braves and Falcons while the predominant African-American market prefers the Falcons and Hawks, and doesn't really watch hockey at all. Hockey finds itself on the outside, and when you have NEVER WON A PLAYOFF GAME, you won't get many fans.

Detroit is a similar market to Atlanta, but they definitely have more interest in hockey, and it doesn't hurt that they are constantly competing and winning the Cup. It also doesn't hurt that the Lions have been shit for a long while, so fans are watching the teams that win (Wings, Tigers, and Pistons the 90's and 2000's) instead of them now. Detroit does poorly in attendance compared to other places, but they still draw support from qareas such as Windsor as well, so that helps a ton.

Dobber Sports Icon

Since the fans want it so bad and it's just the ownership...well I guess maybe 200 fans want it badly.

How many season tickets were sold at the rally I wonder.

What a great hockey market.

(PS - hey ASF, are you anywhere in the picture?)
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Administrator

I do think the ownership was the majority of the problem in failing to get behind the team in order to eventually attract enough fans to keep the team, but it is obvious that this situation cannot hold up as it stands right now. And when nobody steps up within city limits they have to go. It sucks for their remaining fans but this appears to be the only outcome possible.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Since the fans want it so bad and it's just the ownership...well I guess maybe 200 fans want it badly.

How many season tickets were sold at the rally I wonder.

What a great hockey market.

(PS - hey ASF, are you anywhere in the picture?)
    Why would fans show up to a rally made by some fans on moronic HF Boards? I didn't see anything on the main Thrashers website about a rally, so that shows just how poor the attempted rally had to be. Seriously, how could you even consider this a rally? lol. Which leads me to ask why are you surprised that a low number showed up?

It was a pointless rally. Seemed like no effort was put into it at all. In fact, I'm surprised the message boards fans actually showed up. I thought the majority were all homers/bandwagon fans that left when Kovalchuk did.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Icon

At least the goggles are off.

And btw, the word 'rally' was not mine...NHL.com called it the same thing that CBC did:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...d-rr-headlines
    Last edited by PrairieDog; May 21, 2011 at 9:25 PM.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    At least the goggles are off.
    The goggles never go on me, maybe you sohuld take em off sometime. Just because I agree with you about a social gathering that occured, doesn't mean I agree with you about the reasons behind relocation (if it happens).
    Go Jets Go

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    Why would fans show up to a rally made by some fans on moronic HF Boards? I didn't see anything on the main Thrashers website about a rally, so that shows just how poor the attempted rally had to be. Seriously, how could you even consider this a rally? lol. Which leads me to ask why are you surprised that a low number showed up?

It was a pointless rally. Seemed like no effort was put into it at all. In fact, I'm surprised the message boards fans actually showed up. I thought the majority were all homers/bandwagon fans that left when Kovalchuk did.
    um, is that HF moron you? lmao

Depends.

1) I don't think there was a parade today.
    2) If the bandwagon fans in the city showed up, than I'd say at least 20,000.

Dobber Sports Sage

The best quote I read today (I think it was Dreger's twitter, but could be wrong)

"Atlanta Thrashers are still selling season's tickets as of now. At least one was sold yesterday"

LOL. I hate to say any NHL team fail but at some point in time you just gotta rap it up.

I have a buddy who's brother is from Atlanta and is a hockey fan and I had a good chat with him one night about the team. He says it's just pointless. There is basically zero interest in the team when it comes to social discussion and the media doesn't do a good job covering it. There's usually a reason something fails...
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The invitations to the Thrashers rally actually made their way to members in the local men's hockey leagues. There are two main rec leagues here in Atlanta, each with about 40-50 teams. 15 players per team puts that email list at 1200-1500 people... plus, I'm sure the emails made their way out to the youth hockey programs.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again - there are two reasons why the team didn't survive:
    1. There just aren't many THRASHER fans in Atlanta. There are actually lots of hockey fans, but not passionate fans of the local team.
    ...why...
    2. The Thrasher ownership are/were a bunch of tools. I'm three degrees separated from two of the owners and two degrees from a couple of their offspring - who I've hung out with. These folk don't have a drop of hockey blood in them. They don't care and have never made the effort to care. Actually, a couple of these guys (from what I've heard) are jokers who were made 100% by their inheritance.

The Thrashers were a franchise born from the convenience of filling dates at Philips Arena. The ownership never really cared about anything about this team except for the bottom line. How much incentive really was there for Waddell to do a good job with this team when the ownership had no hockey-sense?

Eventually, Atlanta people got tired of the same ol' shit hockey product.
    And that is why (we) nobody showed up at the rally.

[Sorry you are losing your team ASF... but it's just not a team worth saving.]

Administrator

Just heard former NHL goaltender Dan Bouchard on NHL Home Ice radio and he had some pretty good insight regarding the Atlanta situation. He was a long time Atlanta Flame goaltender and was relocated to Calgary but kept his house in Atlanta due to the Western Canadian housing market being through the roof. Since he's an Atlanta resident he has some good insight on the situation happening right now.

One thing he talked about is how there never was any hockey expansion in Atlanta since the Thrashers arrived. No new rinks have been built so it's difficult to attract new fans if they can't play the game themselves. He mentioned Dallas as a good example of a booming hockey market because they are up to 40 arenas in their area while Atlanta only has 11.

The other thing he mentioned is how uncommitted the Thrashers' ownership has been. Bouchard was a goalie coach with the Quebec Nordiques while they were developing Jocelyn Thibault, Stephane Fiset, Steve Passmore and Manny Fernandez. He wanted to be a full-time goalie coach in Atlanta and oversee the full development process much like he did in Quebec. When he talked to ownership, one of the owners told him that the Thrashers were only interested in having a goalie coach for one day per month and that he thought goaltending is a myth.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    The invitations to the Thrashers rally actually made their way to members in the local men's hockey leagues. There are two main rec leagues here in Atlanta, each with about 40-50 teams. 15 players per team puts that email list at 1200-1500 people... plus, I'm sure the emails made their way out to the youth hockey programs.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again - there are two reasons why the team didn't survive:
    1. There just aren't many THRASHER fans in Atlanta. There are actually lots of hockey fans, but not passionate fans of the local team.
    ...why...
    2. The Thrasher ownership are/were a bunch of tools. I'm three degrees separated from two of the owners and two degrees from a couple of their offspring - who I've hung out with. These folk don't have a drop of hockey blood in them. They don't care and have never made the effort to care. Actually, a couple of these guys (from what I've heard) are jokers who were made 100% by their inheritance.

The Thrashers were a franchise born from the convenience of filling dates at Philips Arena. The ownership never really cared about anything about this team except for the bottom line. How much incentive really was there for Waddell to do a good job with this team when the ownership had no hockey-sense?

Eventually, Atlanta people got tired of the same ol' shit hockey product.
    And that is why (we) nobody showed up at the rally.

[Sorry you are losing your team ASF... but it's just not a team worth saving.]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-TcTROG-SQ

Thrashers sold out a lot that year and in playoffs. Regardless of where they come from, the Thrashers have fans and are capable of selling out.

My top two reasons are still the same; 1) Ownership and Management 2) Losing. You really expect fans to show up when the team never wins? Toronto and Montreal may be the only two teams that can actually survive the Thrashers situation.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Hedberg with some thoughts on the situation:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...g_still_unsur/
    Nothing is official yet, but it appears inevitable that the Atlanta Thrashers will be sold to a group that will move the team to Winnipeg.

Having played in both cities, goaltender Johan Hedberg can feel the pain and frustration of the hockey fans in Atlanta and also the joy and excitement of those in Winnipeg as they wait for the final details of the sale from the Atlanta Sprit group to True North to be completed.

Hedberg played four seasons for the Thrashers and his wife and three daughters continued to live in their house in the Atlanta suburbs this past season while he was playing for the Devils. He's been there with them since the Devils' season ended and has been following the Thrashers' fate like others in the area that love hockey, hoping there was a happier ending coming.

"I think it's sad for the city." Hedberg told me today. "I believe this city can support a team and support it in a good way. Obviously, it's been some chaotic years pretty much from Day 1 with ownership not being on the same page and I think that has hurt the franchise quite a bit.

"But I also have played in Winnipeg and I know the people up there how much they love their hockey. So, if (the Thrashers move to Winnipeg) that would be a very exciting place for a team to play again."

Hedberg, who turned 38 earlier this month, played two stints in Winnipeg with the Manitoba Moose earlier in the his career (first when they were an IHL team and later after they joined the AHL). He clearly has stronger ties to Atlanta and the Thrashers, however, and said he would be sad if the team does leave.

"We've kind of made this sort of our second home for five years now and, obviously, the Thrashers were the reason we came here in the first place," Hedberg said. "I know all the people involved. I know all the people working in the front office and in hockey operations and I know a lot of the fans around. They're hard-core fans that really don't want to lose the team. So, I would have feeling of (sadness).
    "There's no doubt this could be a good hockey city, but it needs to be done the right way. This ownership has never given it a chance to do that after it got off on the wrong foot."

There's plenty of blame to go around from the disjointed ownership to poor management and the resulting poor play. The Thrashers have made the playoffs only once in their 11-season history and were swept out of the first round by the Rangers in 2007. The leadership of the city and the NHL itself haven't put up much of a fight to keep the team in Atlanta either.

"I think everybody's dream would be to have solid millionaires and owners to spend a lot of money and promote it and everything, but that's not the case for every team. They don't have that luxury," Hedberg said. "In this case, they had owners that after a bit they realized they had different thoughts about things and they ended up sour. That always hanging over the team has been a distraction not so much on the ice, but for the whole organization and the franchise.

"I believe this can be a good market. It's a big market. There's tons of people from hockey places that live here. If you give it a chance to grow the grassroots and put some rinks around and really start it out from that end, it would take a while to build a solid foundation that a hockey market should have, but it could definitely happen."

Hedberg admits "it doesn't sound too positive" that the Atlanta market will ever get that chance now.

Dobber Sports Stud

Tweet from ex-NHLer Anson Carter, who is believed to be part of a significant group (with $) interested in buying the Thrashers, Hawks, and rights to Philips. His Tweet implies the ASG did not bargain in good faith: "We had a commitment for 350M, do you know anyone looking to sell...who's primary goal is to make a deal without changing markets?"
    http://twitter.com/#!/ansoncarterla
    Go Jets Go

Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-TcTROG-SQ

Thrashers sold out a lot that year and in playoffs. Regardless of where they come from, the Thrashers have fans and are capable of selling out.

My top two reasons are still the same; 1) Ownership and Management 2) Losing. You really expect fans to show up when the team never wins? Toronto and Montreal may be the only two teams that can actually survive the Thrashers situation.
    Every Canadian market would survive. Atlanta is irrelevant when it comes to hockey, period.