Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Nabokov Novelle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by letnry View Post
    I don't think you can really compare professional sports and their rules and systems to an everyday commercial environment. Using that logic, allowing trades would be a stupid rule too. For example, I sign a contract to happily work for Apple, but they need a game programmer so after a year and a half they trade me to Sega, forcing me to move and work on a company I never intended to when I signed my contract.
    not unusual at all actually...I dunno what the company you work for is like but many large companies will relocate employees to other cities to save money or increase productivity...the company I work for now for example is a huge conglomerate that has dozens and dozens of child companies, people move around a lot...often employers will send their good employees to other locations to head up the opening of a new office for example, and on the flip-side, employees can also request to move to a new location or company (take me, I started out in ATL, then moved to a parallel company in NYC, then moved to the parent company in NY, all within a few years. Its not a perfect analogy but its close

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    not unusual at all actually...I dunno what the company you work for is like but many large companies will relocate employees to other cities to save money or increase productivity...the company I work for now for example is a huge conglomerate that has dozens and dozens of child companies, people move around a lot...often employers will send their good employees to other locations to head up the opening of a new office for example, and on the flip-side, employees can also request to move to a new location or company (take me, I started out in ATL, then moved to a parallel company in NYC, then moved to the parent company in NY, all within a few years. Its not a perfect analogy but its close
    Yeah, I understand that and agree relocation within a specific organization is probably quite common. I was referring more to moves between competing companies.

As an aside, how long were you in Atlanta? Been here for the last 3+ years myself. Ready to move along though, haha!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by letnry View Post
    Yeah, I understand that and agree relocation within a specific organization is probably quite common. I was referring more to moves between competing companies.

As an aside, how long were you in Atlanta? Been here for the last 3+ years myself. Ready to move along though, haha!
    yeah like I said, the analogy isn't perfect, but if you factor in no trade clauses and the like its a little more apt... but I was trying to focus on the 'right to work' aspect of it more than anything, basically that there are very few jobs where you don't have the choice to work for whom you choose.

I was in Atlanta for almost a decade

Dobber Sports Wizard

Well there have been rumblings about changing it so that you have to sign the Euro players before Jan. 1 to avoid waivers. Not sure this would have helped here, but maybe Nabby would have just signed sooner.

I don't really have an answer as to what might work better, but I don't really mind what it is now either. All Nabby had to do, if he wasn't willing to go onto waivers and play for a loser, was wait for July 1.
    Now he's put himself in a very crappy situation and I have to believe he knew it was a possibility.

The fact that there's no way out for him now is the shittier part to me.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I was trying to focus on the 'right to work' aspect of it more than anything, basically that there are very few jobs where you don't have the choice to work for whom you choose.
    Also very few jobs where you get paid 500k+ to play a sport for a living.
    pro sports != real life
    12-team Rotisserie
    G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, FOW
    W, saves, GAA, SV%, SO

2C-
    2LW- Marchand
    2RW- Giroux
    4D- Rielly
    2G- Bishop, Price

because at the end of the 09-10 season Nabokov became an Unrestricted Free Agent...what does the word 'unrestricted' mean to you? To me it means you can sign where you want without restriction, not be forced to go thru waivers just because you chose to spend a year in another league, that's why its stupid
    That, I agree with...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

I was thinking of a way to equate it McGoo and I came up with this.

You decide you want to be a sports writer and write away, get a job with a decent site and build a career. You then apply for a job at Dobber hockey and get hired BUT you have to go on waivers and Eklund picks you up and you are forced to write rumors for him for a year!

Is that what you mean by unfair and stupid?
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by 93213 View Post

You decide you want to be a sports writer and write away, get a job with a decent site and build a career. You then apply for a job at Dobber hockey and get hired BUT you have to go on waivers and Eklund picks you up and you are forced to write rumors for him for a year!

This made me laugh a little haha. I think that's close, but writing fantasy articles is not the same as writing crazy rumors. And there's no way Eklund's site is in the same league as Dobber's.

Maybe it would be like going on waivers and some much smaller and less successful fantasy hockey website picked you up and you're forced to write fantasy articles for them for a year.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yeah, I wanted to make it TSN and use Dreger as the example. I would love to read Dreger's diary during a year where Eklund was his boss.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5

Banned

yeah that's not a bad analogy...but as GG notes, Eklund isn't even in the same league as Dobber...in fact, he's not even playing the same sport to be honest...and the sport he IS playing is entirely make-believe. So he's like 3-4 degrees of separation away...but yes, it would be like being forced to go write for the Outhouse Times Picayune when you want to write for TSN

Dobber Sports Wizard

Here's another theoretical scenario. I don't the rules so maybe this isn't even possible in any way, but lets look at it this way. What if Ryan Miller decides he no longer wants to play for the Sabres and ends his contract amicably in November. Should he then be allowed to sign with Detroit in January? Can he? What is the rule on that?
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5

Dobber Sports Superstar

Here's another theoretical scenario. I don't the rules so maybe this isn't even possible in any way, but lets look at it this way. What if Ryan Miller decides he no longer wants to play for the Sabres and ends his contract amicably in November. Should he then be allowed to sign with Detroit in January? Can he? What is the rule on that?
    IIRC, Miller would not have to go through the waiver process because in your scenario he started the season in the NHL (and counted against somebody's cap). I believe the issue with Nabakov is that he started the season in the KHL.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    IIRC, Miller would not have to go through the waiver process because in your scenario he started the season in the NHL (and counted against somebody's cap). I believe the issue with Nabakov is that he started the season in the KHL.
    Yeah. That much I know, but stops a player from doing that?
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yeah. That much I know, but stops a player from doing that?
    I don't think anything does, AFAIK. You just don't see contracts being voided too often.

RETIRED

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    see that's totally unfair IMO, why does it matter what league you're playing in? I'm struggling to think of a reason for the rule or how the system might be abused were the rule not in place but I cannot come up with anything