Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nabokov Novelle

The King of Diatribes

Default The Nabokov Novelle

Nabby is writing quite a story for himself.

Bad decision to not report to the Islanders. Get some exposure dude, play a few games, stop some pucks. Let the scouts see you have the desire and work ethic to play on a weaker team. Make some saves, find another home.

Windows of opportunity like this close very fast.

By not reporting, he may have screwed himself over. Weird decision.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

What about the flip side? Lets say Nabokov did go to the islanders, and played terrible? His trade value would be next to nothing, no contending team would want him. This way, by refusing to play for the isles, he is forcing them to trade him to a contending team (aka detroit), where even if he plays average, his numbers will be good since he is on a strong team...thus extending his nhl career, especially if he wins a cup which will be an even bigger payout for him.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    What about the flip side? Lets say Nabokov did go to the islanders, and played terrible? His trade value would be next to nothing, no contending team would want him. This way, by refusing to play for the isles, he is forcing them to trade him to a contending team (aka detroit), where even if he plays average, his numbers will be good since he is on a strong team...thus extending his nhl career, especially if he wins a cup which will be an even bigger payout for him.
    He can't be traded without first going back on waivers and clearing, so even if they wanted to trade him (if he played or not), its unlikely that they could.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Let. Him. Rot.

He's about as selfish as they come - this lines up with the way he has acted in the past. Guy is a born loser - what has he won? A Calder trophy? Big deal. Sorry buddy but you're no big deal.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

oh yea my mistake, well then instead of forcing a trade he could force the isles to put him on waivers.

The King of Diatribes

Even if he posted "bad stats" he would clearly display the skill set needed to earn another contract. Maybe it wouldn't be as much as he would like, but it's better than nothing. Stats don't matter, it's how he moves and performs. He would face a lot of shots, that would be huge. He would get exposure. Even Poulin is posting a good save percentage right now. The Islanders would play hard in front of him (if he had a good work ethic). You're better off taking the chance and forcing yourself to display a work ethic than sitting back and saying, "Better safe than sorry" because now you can just jump on Twitter and see all the bad press he's getting from media and fans. Not a smart decision.

Dobber Sports Star

Smile

As a frustrated Islander's fan, this is just icing on the cake. "F" all these athletes who think they're bigger than the game. This goes back as far as Kirk Muller refusing to play for them and to a lesser extent Ryan Smyth. What ever happened to players playing for the love of the game? I will say this, there are no roster players on the Islanders right now who aren't playing for love of the game. Why? Because they're all young and hungry and money hasn't ruined the game for them. Nabby can rot in hell, he won't turn the fortunes of the team around anyway. I guess he's hoping to have a better team around him so that it hides the fact he's lost a step. Sorry for the rant boys.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Expert

It's not just cause your an Isles fan.... I believe that can be said for a lot of the guys in the league now. Hell I'd easily take a pay cut if I knew I could stay with the same group of guys and push for a second cup the year after. However most guys' allegiances are made with the almighty dollar and not so much the team. I do agree though, Nabokov deserves to be suspended by the Isles after these Allen Iverson tactics. Honestly, he must think he is some kind of special.
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Islanders

Lets start by saying I don't like the Islanders or their fans, but that is the way it is
    we have been playing against each other for 35 years..With that being said,
    you guys are right, the hell with Nabokov.
    The Islanders while not good now, do have a rich history, and Nabokov with this
    attitude, doesn't belong in the same company with the great players who have played
    on the Island.( Can't believe I just said that, Flyers fan, you know).
    He priced himself out before the season began, and know turns his back on a team that
    still wants him.. Note to Garth Snow, don't give in to this guy, and if you do send him
    to the Wings, make them pay, they are really not giving any money, grab a real good prospect, and hopefully if he goes to Detroit and doesn't play well the fans really let
    him have it. I said some nice things about you guys, don't know what came over me, I really could care less if you never win another game....but, that's just the way it is...
    But I also hate , The Rangers, Pittsburgh, The Devils, and I'm sure you feel the same about The Flyers....that is why our game is THE BEST GAME
    Kucherov , Pastrnak , Guentzel Miller, Rantanen
    Teravainen , Cirelli, Nelson , Konecny

Ekblad, Girard, Pionk, Parayko , Graves

Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck , Korpisalo

FARM TEAM --Brannstrom, Drysdale

League Champion-2007-08,2008-09 , 2015-16, 2017-18

Scoring is, G,A,PTS, PPG, PPA, GWG, +/-, SHOTS, GOALIE, W, SAVE %, GAA, SHUTOUT
    12 TEAM H2H, TOTAL KEEPER, NO SALARY CAP.
    ROSTERS-NEED TO START- 6 FOWARDS,4 DEE,2 GOALIES
    6 BENCH PLAYERS.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Lot of people agreeing here ... well I disagree.

First I don't like how people are judging him based off of only his decision not to report. You have not heard anything from his point of view. Once and if he tells his story then you have the right to judge and ridicule and sentence him to hell I guess. You have no idea what his attitude is like behind this, the people saying these things are only basing it off of what other people with his status have done in the past, which is not fair.

Also, just like the Islanders have their rights to claim him so does Nabokov has his rights not to report. I think its a poor decision by the Islanders to put in this claim because of the risk of him not reporting and bringing in bad publicity that will only distract the team. Everyone knows the Islanders are rebuilding for the future and Nabokov is not the answer right now. So I believe they are the ones to blame for putting Nabokov in that position.

I agree with the fact that it would have been good for Nabokov to report and show good work ethic playing for any team in the league and try to get a decent contract for next year. Its nabby's choice tho and if he wants to give a contending team a better chance at winning the cup he should be able to do so. Whatever he thinks is best for his career and family is what he should do, thats the main reason why he is back in the US anyway is for his family right?
    Last edited by grindin griers; January 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM.

Banned

he's going on 36, and he's never won anything of note at either the NHL or the international level, he's at a point in his career where he's running out of time so why the hell would he want to go back to the NHL to play for a shitty team with no hope of the playoffs? The Isles exercised their right to claim him off waivers and he's exercising his right to decline, I fail to see what is wrong with what he's chosen to do...I don't fault anyone for not wanting to play for the Isles

Banned

the whole problem here is the waiver system. Get the stupid waiver system out of the NHL, it's ridiculous to even think you sign with one team, but have to report to another who "claims" you. If the Isles wanted him so bad, they should have signed the guy in the first place.

Waivers are bad, and stupid, and don't make the slightest sense to any professional sport

But, that's just my opinion.

Dobber Sports Superstar

If the Isles would have signed him, he would have been claimed by someone else, so it was really to first to take a stab at him, knowing their chances of actually getting him weren't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Nabby is writing quite a story for himself.

Bad decision to not report to the Islanders. Get some exposure dude, play a few games, stop some pucks. Let the scouts see you have the desire and work ethic to play on a weaker team. Make some saves, find another home.

Windows of opportunity like this close very fast.

By not reporting, he may have screwed himself over. Weird decision.
    I agree with that 100%. Very puzzling....
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    What about the flip side? Lets say Nabokov did go to the islanders, and played terrible? His trade value would be next to nothing, no contending team would want him.
    if this is his state of mind, then I don't want him on my team in any event. What kind of a professional athlete thinks that?
    @SmittysRant