Thread: Implementing Expansion Teams

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Implementing Expansion Teams

Any suggestions on how to implement an expansion with a limited keeper league?

Currently we have 16 Teams and I am curious how I would expand to possibly 20 or 30, etc.

This will help for setting up the league to be able to handle an expansion for the future.

Ideas?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by zop1080 View Post
    Any suggestions on how to implement an expansion with a limited keeper league?

Currently we have 16 Teams and I am curious how I would expand to possibly 20 or 30, etc.

This will help for setting up the league to be able to handle an expansion for the future.

Ideas?
    You'd have to decrease the amount of keepers to do that, not sure how well that would sit with the league though.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Genius

Impressive that you could get 30 good owners to join. Want to slide some my way for our league?
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Banned

yeah you'd have to implement some means of redistributing the talent...the simplest way is to severely limit keepers (depending on how many teams you are adding this number might only be 3-4 players)

another alternative might be to make it an auction where GMs have to bid on the players they wish to keep or draft. Typically these auctions are silent auctions where everyone submits their bid in private and the highest takes it. So for example, everyone starts with $100. As a new GM if I bid $50 on Stamkos and his owner only bids $45 then I claim him. If you do go this route you probably want to allow each GM to slap the 'franchise' tag on at least one player that cannot be touched otherwise you'll get some unhappy GMs losing Crosby, Ovie, etc

Dobber Sports Master

word of advice , stick to your small set up of 16 teams .

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The keeper I'm a part of is now up to 30 teams. We've expanded over the last 3 seasons I think now, to hit the 30 mark.

Basically at the end of each season, every team had to expose 12 players (Seasonal roster was 25, but in the off-season you could have as many as you want on your roster until season launch). So if you had the full roster you exposed 12, protected 13. Some teams would make deals to land a bunch of garbage players, pushing the amount of players they could protect up.

We'd then have an expansion draft, where the new teams would select 21 players each from the unprotected lists (Last 4 slots would be filled in the entry draft). Each existing team could only lose a maximum of 2 players total. Once they lost their 2, all the rest of their players came off the list and were protected.

It worked well enough, but we've hit the point where the bottom 5-10 teams are pretty much full of prospects at the moment, because we don't cover stats like hits and PIM, so a bunch of real life players who have a use on their team, have no use on ours. So there'll be a period of a few years I think were the weaker teams prospects develop to get into the league and then there'll probably be more parity.

So my recommendation would be to either have fewer teams, or smaller rosters

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    yeah you'd have to implement some means of redistributing the talent...the simplest way is to severely limit keepers (depending on how many teams you are adding this number might only be 3-4 players)

another alternative might be to make it an auction where GMs have to bid on the players they wish to keep or draft. Typically these auctions are silent auctions where everyone submits their bid in private and the highest takes it. So for example, everyone starts with $100. As a new GM if I bid $50 on Stamkos and his owner only bids $45 then I claim him. If you do go this route you probably want to allow each GM to slap the 'franchise' tag on at least one player that cannot be touched otherwise you'll get some unhappy GMs losing Crosby, Ovie, etc
    This is good....do one auto-keep for all previous teams from their current roster...then let all new teams get a keep out of remaining player pool (which would be analagous to them having later 1st round picks than the teams already there) then after all teams have a single keeper player all rest of the rosters are determined through auction system...I would do live active auction and this way talent get's redistributed evenly and the GM's that "lose" their players have done so by their own admission while still having been allowed one keeper off original squad to make it like they still retained something...far from ideal but still the only way to legitimately expand a keeper league once it's been already started

Dobber Sports Legend

zop, expanding to 20 is one thing, but growing to 30 is another. It will be hard to double the league and keep everyone happy. Rule #1 as a commissioner: Never anger your current, loyal GMs to make outsiders happy.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    zop, expanding to 20 is one thing, but growing to 30 is another. It will be hard to double the league and keep everyone happy. Rule #1 as a commissioner: Never anger your current, loyal GMs to make outsiders happy.
    I think everyone is taking what I said too literally. I am not intending on expanding to 30 teams at this point hence the word 'possibly'. I am creating a league and I will be happy if I find 12- 14 GM's.

The question was intended to find a method which would allow me to expand to various sizes down the road (example: 3yrs in, increase to 16 teams, MAYBE 4 yrs in - 18-20 teams).

Either way it has to be a fair way to expand the league. The last thing I want to do is implement new rules a season in to accommodate an expansion, with other GM's not in agreeance from the start.

dmvincent and Twiggy’s posts are good insight and thanks to the rest of you for your help.

Sorry if I was not clear enough.