Thread: Pick up Neuvirth or stand pat?

MacLiii

Question Pick up Neuvirth or stand pat?

I play in a 12 team keeper (14 players) H2H (5 games per week) league where goalies can play a maximum of 3 GP per week. We are allowed a maximum of 4 goalies on the roster.

My current goalies are Miller, Price, Howard and Schneider.

An owner in the league just released Neuvirth. Would I be better served to stand pat or pick up Neuvirth. I truely believe that Schneider is actually the better and more skilled goaltender; however, I also know that he is not unseeding Luongo anytime soon. The other thing is that I usually do not keep more than 3 goalies during an off season so I'd probably be looking to trade one. I guess that would mean Neuvirth would be my better option.

Dobber Sports Stud

You seem to have your mind made up, but I'd stand pat if I were you. Your top three are solid, and Schneider is a fine fourth. Plays more than Lu's other recent backups and puts up great stats when he does. I'd make that move only if I had Varlamov.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think Varly will be getting more and more games as the season progresses and unless he does something stupid I don't see Neuvirth getting a lot of time in the pipes.
    Follow me on twitter @mikerocksthered
    https://twitter.com/mikerocksthered

ESPN 10 Team H2H
    F: Kessel, Backstrom, E. Staal, Marleau, Hossa, Kesler, Vrbata, Bozak, Koivu, Wilson, Tlusty, Fisher
    D: Chara, Shattenkirk, Souray, Beauchemin, Liles, Carlson, Vlassic, Greene
    G: Brodeur, Fasth, Ward IR: Ray Whitney

Yahoo 10 team H2H
    F: Marleau, Tlusty, Vanek, Pominville, McDonald, Clarkson, Huberdeau, Koivu
    D: Boyle, Greene, Chara, Pietrangelo, Hedman, L Schenn
    G: Brodeur, Fasth

MacLiii

I actually do not have my mind made up. As I said, I actually think that Schneider is the better goalie, but sometimes its the perception of the asset. Until he gets a starting gig, Schneider won't be worth much to me as trade value to anyone in my league other than maybe the Luongo owner. Everything I read seems to lean towards Neuvirth being the longer term answer in WAS despite BB's love for Varly. I also use to coach Schneider, so that's even more incentive for me to keep him. Just looking for some unbiased opinions as I want to make the best decision for my team moving forward. Of course, he threw another gem last night despite losing 1-0.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by MacLiii View Post
    I also use to coach Schneider
    No wonder he's so good!

And I never make moves based on trade value. That, to me, is counting chickens before they're hatched.