Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dropped a Nucleuar bomb on my keeper team

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thank you for the input guys. Everyone is telling me the Fluery and Ward deals were dumb yet I have owned them all 3 years as 2 of my keepers and never finished with more than 20 out of a possible 30 points in the goalie cats.

Dobber Sports Icon

Agree with MD and Dyz

Dobber Sports Expert

Calm down. All but 1 of these trades were made over 2 months ago. Thanks to everyone who looked in hindsight on these deals.

Trade 1, Oct 9th:
    SEND: Dan Boyle.
    RECEIVE: John Carlson
    It's not a horrible deal. Granted, you probably could have gotten a little more, but it's alright.

Trade 2, Oct 18th:
    SEND: Marleau, Sedin, Fleischmann & Bieska
    RECEIVE: Kane & Okposo
    It's pretty bad, but I made a horrible deal too last year wiht Okposo. We all make these bad moves once in a while. I've made 2 horrible deals as bad as this, in the past year, so it's ok. I"m still learning as well, everyday.

BUT, I was not a believer in Sedin until this season. I was thinking 90 points this year, and Kane would be a tad below that. So not too bad. Okposo for Marleau's not that bad. Losing out on Flash and Bieska is a loss, but it's alright.

Trade 3, Nov 9th:
    SEND: Gionta, Gagne & Fluery
    RECEIVE: Eberle & Varlamov
    It's a decent deal, well not on hindsight, but I can see why you did it at that time. Fleury as of November 9th had played 8 games, and only had 1 win. That's right, for all those people who were blasting this poor guy, he was horrible then. Many of you guys must have been pissed off at Fleury. And jsut after you traded Fleury, he plays amazing. Happens in Fantasy Hockey, and it will piss you off so much.

Trade 4, Jan 11th:
    SEND: Leino, Ward & Phaneuf
    RECEIVE: Skinner, Bernier & Schenn
    I really like this deal. In fact, it's like you read my mind. Skinner, Bernier, and B. Schenn (If it is him), are among my elite favorite players. All will one day be elite hockey players, and you picked up the best goalie in 5-7 years. He'll be the best for a nice decade, and Skinner is Skinner. Brayden Schenn is just sick as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, you have to watch when you buy your players, and sell them. You bought, Schenn just after the WJC, when he was at a sell high, and he still is at that value. You sold MAF, at a sell low, which is terrible.

As of right now, you have aroudn 20 decent keepers. Now is time to do some 2 for 1 trading, and even some 3 for 1 trading. Screw this season, and upgrade your keepers for next. Also, get some draft picks.

But you win some, and you lose some, and all in all, you're still learning with every move you make.

Geeze let me break out the tissue, I'm weeping over here.

Speaking for myself, joeygmoney asked a question I provided an opinion. I didn't like the downgrade at goalie coupled with the risk involved. I was looking at it (or attempting to, anyway) from perspective of 3 years down the road. That's all there was to it.

I certainly wasn't bashing anyone.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Geeze let me break out the tissue, I'm weeping over here.

Speaking for myself, joeygmoney asked a question I provided an opinion. I didn't like the downgrade at goalie coupled with the risk involved. I was looking at it (or attempting to, anyway) from perspective of 3 years down the road. That's all there was to it.

I certainly wasn't bashing anyone.
    Yeah, sorry for being like that. I was just getting pissed (Yeah, I use that word a lot). Everyone was just like, you traded off MAF for who? You traded off Sedin for those worthless things?

Dobber Sports Stud

Schenn has 0 value in this league. I mean come on. Keep 10 players. TEN. Schenn might not even ever be a top 30 center, much less fitting into a keep 10 at any position while still being at least a year away from entering his rookie season.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

I get it...it's cool. It's tough analyzing those kinds of trades because the GM is looking at them individually at the time they were made. We're (or at least I'm) looking at them as a whole, collectively. While trying to put myself 3 years down the road.

Anywhoooo...it's risky which is not necessarily a bad thing. IF Varly can hold serve over there in Washington then joeygmoney should do fine with Varly and Pavs. If something happens to either, well,....ya know.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

You guys are getting way too carried away with potential. I mean I don't understand what's going on here.

Is Bernier that much better than Bobrovsky or Pavelec that he needs to overpay to get him?

Is John Carlson that much better than Goligoski/Fowler that he needs to trade Boyle to get him?

Why does he need to trade for Eberle when he already traded for Okposo? He can't keep both.

Even if Varlamov was putting up better stats he already has an injury history and Fleury was undoubtely the #1 in Pittsburg who is one of the best teams in the league, while Varlamov has Neuvirth breathing down his neck.

Like I said in my previous post he downgraded every position except RW.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

We just recieved an offer to move, Kyle Okposo, Eric Staal and Pavelec for Malkin, Briere and McBain. Is this worth is giving our roster??

Dobber Sports Expert

Yes.

-->Your goaltending does get worse, but Malkin is a lot better than Staal.
    -->Briere is goign at a crazy pace right now, and you will be able to peddle him off, or you can keep him.
    -->McBain sucks this year and you won't be able to keep him, so I might ask for someone else instead of him.
    -->As well, Pavelec is comign back to Earth, as his last 5 games are 1-3-1, 4.63, .866.

Two years ago I did a similar thing to my team. I basically regretted it.
    I received alot of young studs but it is going on year two now and I Am still waiting on most to reach their potential.
    It takes a lot longer than two years for most of these younger guys to start to break out and live up to their potential.

In the meantime I sit a languish in 10th place for the last two years.It is tough to wait and you need to be very patient.
    It takes a lot longer than you think.

So for the most part my rash of trades is complete. I have updated my sig to show my roster as currently constructed. I was thinking of offering a deal for a upgrade at LW or RW, a Bobby Ryan, Zach Parise type but I do not know anyone will bite on that. I am thinking as of now my 10 keepers would look like.... (C) Malkin, (C) Skinner, (RW) Kane, (LW) Lucic, (RW) Eberle, (LW) Hall, (D) Fowler, (D) Carlson, (G) Varlamov & (G) Bobrovski or (G) Bernier (if he is dealt). I am for the most part looking to deal any combo of players to get that 10th keeper. (C) Stepan, (C) Brassard, (C,LW) Ennis, (LW) Van Riemsdyk, (RW) Voracek, (C,RW) Briere, (C,RW) Eberle, (D) Goligoski, (LW) Kulemin, (D) Ekman-Larrson, (D) Kulikov or (D) McBain. What combo of those players should I package to get the highest return?

Dobber Sports Ace

Wow...like TML I have to salute your persistence and courage to revamp the squad completely.

C: Malkin, Skinner
    RW: Kane, Eberle
    LW: Lucic, Hall
    D: Carlson, Fowler
    G: Varly, Bob or Bernier

Guys on the block: Briere, Stepan, Brassard, Ennis, JVR, Voracek, Goligoski, Kulemin, OEL, Kulikov, McBain

I like what you have with C and RW, one good option now and one coming option

Weak spots are LW (Lucic), D (Carlson) and G (Varly). You need 3 "good option now" replacements for these spots. Hall, Fowler and Bob/Bernier are "coming options" even though Hall and Bob have shown flashes already this season.

Briere, Goligoski and Brassard are your best chips i.e. the players others in your league probably would like to have and may over-rate. Brassard is 3rd because many folks under-rate Columbus's style and talent.

You should be able to deal Briere alone for a good D or G to an owner who needs offense, target a Green (buy low), Edler, Ehrhoff, Weber, Doughty D or a Bryz, Rinne, Halak, Quick G.

Goli and Brassard probably need to be packaged for a better LW or can be used for the D or G as well. Throw in Ennis maybe to lessen their burden. Think Heatley, Ryan, Sharp type.

Obviously, use Lucic, Carlson and Varly as chips as well if possible
    Last edited by Front89; January 21, 2011 at 6:48 PM.
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Keep going.

The Malkin deals is huge and likely wouldn't have happened if you hadn't started moving parts.

I decided to blow my team up two seasons ago and recently added Stamkos to a team that includes Ovechkin now too.

It's like a chain reaction.

And besides, I know for me, making moves is (a big) part of the fun and then all of a sudden you have Malkin and the last laugh is yours. Congrats.

Dobber Sports Ace

Good on you guys for deciding to revamp it.

I'll stay away from saying anything about trades b/c I may have traded Henrik Sedin before last season in a deal that included TJ Oshie and Patrick Marleau. I then flipped Marleau in a deal to get JVR. Needless to say, I got fleeced on the first deal and made it worse with my second deal, so I'm in no position to critique your moves.

I read one guy say earlier in the thread that he also blew up his team and wished he hadn't b/c he's been stuck in 10th for a couple years now. I totally understand that, b/c that's where I'm sitting.

That being said, I've now built a base that includes Stamkos, Tavares, Parise, Ryan, Skinner and a bunch of nice young blueliners (Carlson, Karlsson, Subban, Shattenkirk, Hedman, EJ, Fowler).

Will I win soon? Likely not in the next couple years, although I'll be getting closer and closer...but I've had a ton of fun making deals, trying to pick up guys, and I'm pretty excited to see where it goes.

I agree that winning is the point of being in fantasy pools, but I've easily gotten solid entertainment value for my yearly pool fee.

Enjoy your trading, guys.

I will say, however, that you need to upgrade your goaltending...but so do I.