Thread: Game Audit: Can/Rus WJC Final

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Game Audit: Can/Rus WJC Final

Dub's note: I was considering doing the Pit/TB game for my audit, but then I figured what the hell...I'll go out of my element and do this WJC game. I feel this is a risky game audit to do because many of you guys know the Canadian and Russian junior players much better than I do. Keep in mind that my opinion is based on these 60 minutes and these 60 minutes only. Hope you enjoy.

21 Eakin - 10 Schenn - 16 Hamilton
    Cody Eakin was a surprise first liner for me, but his play was very deserving of skating where he did. He was constantly pushing for breakaways and did a great job of sustaining pressure and creating offensive chances. Brayden Schenn has established himself as the superstar talent of Team Canada IMO. This team is stacked, but Schenn looks to be a step ahead of everyone else and when he is out there, his presence is felt. Hamilton did not stand out to me and you can take that as a bad thing or a good thing. He didn't do anything defensively to make me hate him, but he didn't wow me with offensive talent.

Schenn finished with 1g and 1a and Hamilton and Eakin each were pointless. Schenn and Eakin were -1 and Hamilton was -2.

17 Foligno - 19 Johansen - 9 Kassian
    This is a big, physical line with a ton of offensive skill. I didn't get to see them as much as I'd hoped early in the game, but that's what happens when you have a stacked team in international play. Foligno got out there quickly without his linemates and picked up an assist on Schenn's goal. Foligno and Kassian hit everything that moved and created offensive chances as well. I hoped for a better game out of Johansen. He appeared nervous instead of confident.

Kassian and Johansen were pointless and -1 while Foligno had 1 assist and held an even rating.

12 Howden - 7 Couturier - 28 Connolly
    You can tell this line has a lot of skill, but they looked timid. The Kassian line looked dominant while this line looked like they were a bit nervous. I thought all three players could have played better than they did which is a shame to me. They had very little offensive chances, though each player is very talented.

All three players were held pointless, and while Couturier and Connolly were even, Howden managed to be -2.

25 Ashton - 11 Cizikas - 20 Leblanc
    Ashton had a beautiful goal in the first from the goal line as a direct result of the grinding work of he and Leblanc. Canada had a lot of players who play physical hockey and have offensive talent and Carter Ashton fits this mold beautifully. Cizikas was a very versatile center who was used on the PK as well as centering various lines throughout the game. He was as close to a checking line center as Canada had. Leblanc surprised me at how physical he was. He was quick and not shy about playing the body at all, which is exactly the opposite of what I expected, him being French Canadian and all.

Ashton had 1 goal with the assist coming from Leblanc. Cizikas was pointless and he and Leblanc were each -1 with Ashton going +1.

2 Cowen - 22 Barrie
    Barrie did a solid job at making the first pass out of the zone and I thought he had a pretty strong game. He and Cowen had the tough task of containing Russia's top line all night which they did a great job of in the first two periods, but struggled with in the third. Barrie found himself on the ice for Russia's 1st and 3rd goals.

Cowen and Barrie were pointless and -1 each.

4 Olsen - 6 Ellis
    Ellis is not the type of player is content sitting back. Ellis needs to get in on the offense and he notched a PPG in the first on a nice feed from Schenn. I could see why Ellis was named captain because he had the strongest game on the blue line in my opinion. Olsen had a strong game too and this line was constantly up against one of the top 2 Russian lines. Unfortunately for them, they were caught off guard immediately after Russia's first goal and they allowed Kitsyn to score 11 seconds later. This turned out to be all the momentum Russia needed to win the game.

Olsen was pointless and -1 while Ellis had one power play goal and was -2.

3 Despres - 5 Gudbranson - 24 de Haan
    These three d-men got ice time, but not like the top 4. You could tell these were the bottom 3, though de Haan was getting PP time and I think Gudbranson might have too. De Haan definitely made the most of his limited miutes but Gudbranson took a stupid penalty and didn't impress me as much as he did in previous games. Despres seemed to be the least noticeable Canadian defenseman, thuogh the team is ridiculously good so it's not always easy to stand out.

Despres was held pointless and was a -1, Gudbranson was pointless and even, and de Haan had an assist and was even.

Visentin
    What a tough loss for this guy. He looked absolutely amazing in the first two periods, but his team fell apart early in the third. It was obvious that this rattled the entire team's momentum, but it especially rattled Visentin. With a minute and a half left, Canada was trying to tie the game down only one goal and Visentin let in a breakaway to one of Russia's fourth liners that he probably would stop just about any other time. He was definitely rattled, but this is still a goalie who I would want on my fantasy roster. I liked what I saw overall and feel bad for him losing the way he did.
    Last edited by duballstar014; January 5, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sage

8 Valuiski - 14 Sobchenko - 10 Tarasenko
    Tarasenko looks absolutely fantastic. He has plenty of skill and lots of speed. The one knock on him though is that he is obviously not used to the physical play of the Canadians. He'll need to get better at keeping his head up as he makes the transition, but overall he's awesome. Sobchenko wasn't someone to watch every shift, but he had a great shorthanded breakaway in the 2nd that opened my eyes to him. It took me a while to figure out who the third forward was on this line. That's mostly because Valuiski didn't stand out and many times he had to cover the point because Orlov kept rushing up the play. It must be tough being the third member of a line and getting boxed out of the offense by an aggressive defenseman who has no interest in actually playing defense...this is how Valuiski's game went.

Valuiski and Sobchenko were each pointless with Valuiski picking up the -1 while Sobchenko stayed even. Tarasenko had 1g and 1a and was a +2.

13 Kitsyn - 25 Kuznetzov - 21 Kalinin
    The KKK line...Kuznetzov showedTONS of skill. He was very quick and was exciting to watch. Although he was a 2nd line center, I would say he was Russia's best player. I'm surprised that Kuznetzov and Tarasenko didn't skate on the same line because the skill there would be flat out amazing. They finally skated together in the third and scored the tying goal. If I had to pick only one Russian player who I thought will make the NHL, it would be Kuznetzov. Kitsyn also had a strong game. He isn't nearly as talented as Semin, but he reminds me a lot of him the way he skates and handles the puck. Kitsyn benefitted off a Kuzentzov rush in the 3rd and made it a one goal game, 11 seconds after Panarin's goal. Kalinin had speed and hands, but he's clearly the third most talented forward on this line. He's just not on the same level as the other two K's.

Kitsyn had 1 goal, Kalinin had 1 assist, and Kuzentzov had an impressive 3 assists. Kalinin was +1, Kitsyn +2, and Kuzentzov +3.

27 Panarin - 28 Golubev - 18 Bocharov
    Panarin scored the 1st and the 4th goals for Russia, both of which were huge. That being said, if he were to make it to the NHL, I would never own him on my fantasy roster ever. Panarin is the stereotypical Russian hockey player who will frustrate you beyond belief. I thought he looked transparent in the first, then in the 2nd he got a chance in front on Russia's 1st PP and he dove trying to get a 5 on 3. As the game progressed he put more effort forward, but this guy picks and chooses when he puts forth his best effort and that pisses me off more than anything. Golubev and Bocharov both showed flashes of brilliance but couldn't put together a strong 60 minutes. It is quite possible that the reason for that was Panarin's fluctuating effort, but I honestly don't know. This is the first time I'm watching any of these three play.

Panarin had 2g and was +1, Golubev had 2 assists and was +2, and Bocharov was pointless and -1.

7 Burdasov - 15 Voronin - 17 Dvurechenski
    Burdasov had a couple decent shifts, but this line was flat out no match for any of the Canadian lines. Voronin took a high sticking penalty in the 2nd while trying desperately to steal the puck from Ellis. None of the players stood out over the long haul of the game, but Dvurechenski found himself on a breakaway with less than 90 seconds left in the game and he found the back of the net. This absolutely shocked me and I think Visentin should have stopped it.

All three of these players should have been pointless, but Dvurechenski found himself with a late goal on a breakaway. He was +1 because of it while Voronin was even and Burdasov was -1.

12 Urychev - 9 Orlov
    Urychev and Orlov were an interesting tandem. Orlov is flat out amazing. He is quick and shifty and looks much more like a forward than a defenseman. He wears #9 too which seemed like a forward's number. The one knock I have on him is that he looked a little too much like a forward...I have a hunch that he is a forward turned defenseman who doesn't fully understand his defensive responsibilities yet. Urychev was alright, but not nearly as good as Orlov. Since Russia dressed 8 D, this tandem was pure offense, while the bottom tandem was pretty close to pure defense.

Urychev went pointless and -1 while Orlov was pointless and +1.

3 Pivtsakin - 6 Berdyukov
    Both of these two had a decent game. Again, nothing to stand out, but no major turnovers that caught my eye.

Both players were pointless and +2.

23 Ignatovich - 2 Zaytsev
    Zaytsev was one of the Russian defenders who showed a ton of confidence and was not afraid to make the right play. He found himself really playing a strong game and even threw the body around too. Orlov looked the best to me and then Zaytsev, though Zaytsev looked more like a strong offensive defenseman while Orlov looked a forward who was thrown on D and might make bad defensive mistakes eventually. Ignatovich was a guy who had a very quiet game. I guess that means he played a good defensive game.

Ignatovich was pointless and -1 while Zaytsev was pointless and even.

26 Sergeyev - 5 Berezin
    I thought Sergeyev was awful and just a plug, but to my surprise, he was one of the first 5 Russians on the power play. Nothing really worked out for him, so I still don't understand why they didn't put Zaytsev on here. I didn't hear Berezin's name too much and this is the line that I thought was pure defense, though the Russian coach must have thought Sergeyev was offensively capable.

Sergeyev went pointless and +2 while Berezin actually had an assist (a 2nd assist) and went +1.

Shikin
    Shikin had a rough game, though I'm not convinced it was all his fault. The Russians as a team had a hard time matching Canada's intensity in the beginning and Shikin didn’t help much. He was eventually yanked with Russia down 3-0.

Bobkov
    When Bobkov came in, he was calm and quick. He made great saves and the Russian team responded very well. They settled down and played their game and eventually scored 5 straight. Bobkov looked great out there and the Ducks should be pretty excited about their prospect.
    Last edited by duballstar014; January 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Great write up Dub. Very accurate.

As for Orlov, I believe he does play Forward a bit. I have seen him listed as a D, F in some leagues. He definitely plays like a 4th forward.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Nice work, Dub. As dominant as Schenn was all tournament, I kind of docked him given how much more experience he had over most players. While I've heard about their skills and should have expected more, I was most surprised by Tarasenko, Kuznetzov, and Johansen throughout the tourney. As for Orlov, who the heck is that guy? If memory serves, his statistics prior to the tourney did not do his ability justice. Again, nice breakdown.
    UFHP - Fantrax 12 GMs - 23/6 pro/farm - keep 17 + 10 farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, GS, W, L, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Kuznetsov, Stepan, Johnson, Dubinsky
    LW: Panarin, Huberdeau, Lee, Spooner
    RW: Draisaitl (C), Radulov, Palmieri, Hayes (C), Neal (LW), Nyquist (LW)
    D: Faulk, Trouba, Muzzin, Slavin, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy, Reimer, Howard, Mrazek

IR- C: Stamkos, Anisimov; LW: Mantha (RW); D: Fowler
    Farm: C- White; RW- Larkin (C), DeBrincat, Nichushkin, Bracco; LW- Marchessault; D- Hanifin, Matheson; G- Soderstrom, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm guessing someone has already posted these stats for Orlov, but here you go:

Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
    2007–08 Metallurg Novokuznetsk RSL 6 0 0 0 0
    2008–09 Metallurg Novokuznetsk KHL 16 1 0 1 4
    2009–10 Metallurg Novokuznetsk KHL 41 4 3 7 49

International statistics:
    Year Team Event GP G A Pts PIM
    2008 Russia WJC18 6 0 1 1 0
    2009 Russia WJC18 7 2 2 4 6
    2010 Russia WJC 6 0 4 4 4
    unior int'l totals 19 2 7 9 10

Maybe he's the most surprising to me.
    UFHP - Fantrax 12 GMs - 23/6 pro/farm - keep 17 + 10 farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, GS, W, L, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Kuznetsov, Stepan, Johnson, Dubinsky
    LW: Panarin, Huberdeau, Lee, Spooner
    RW: Draisaitl (C), Radulov, Palmieri, Hayes (C), Neal (LW), Nyquist (LW)
    D: Faulk, Trouba, Muzzin, Slavin, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy, Reimer, Howard, Mrazek

IR- C: Stamkos, Anisimov; LW: Mantha (RW); D: Fowler
    Farm: C- White; RW- Larkin (C), DeBrincat, Nichushkin, Bracco; LW- Marchessault; D- Hanifin, Matheson; G- Soderstrom, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Sage

This was pretty funny to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olyhoc...ory?id=5995103

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. -- An unruly Team Russia was booted from a flight at the Buffalo airport while trying to get home after winning the gold medal at the world junior hockey championships.

Airport spokesman C. Douglas Hartmayer says all 32 or so members of the Russian contingent were asked to get off a Delta flight headed to Atlanta after boarding for takeoff early Thursday morning.

Hartmayer says the group then left the terminal but didn't know where it went.

Tournament officials had no immediate comment. A call to a Delta spokeswoman wasn't immediately returned.

Russia overcame a three-goal deficit in the third period to stun Canada 5-3 in the gold-medal game Wednesday night.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Once again Dub, great analysis. Thanks for doing it. I wonder if this was Orlov's coming out party as they call it or if he just had one of those tourneys? As for the airline story, that's great, perhaps they should share a flight with the Grizzlies