Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Byfuglien Questions

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSteez View Post
    I would not make any of those moves. 42 games is far too small of a sample size when comparing Buff to those other 3. His value is at an all-time high, and trading for him now would not be prudent. I would let some other GM wildly overpay for him.

-cheers
    Byfuglien has 41 points in 43 GP... Even if he halfs his scoring pace for the second half he'll finish with 60 points which will probably put him top 2 in the league for d-man scoring this year. And that's if his scoring pace cuts in half.

I'm the LAST guy to pick up a guy who's on a hot streak - I didn't grab Shattenkirk or a bunch of other guys who supposedly "broke out." But 41 points in 43 GP is nothing to ignore in a d-man, especially when he doesn't seem to be slowing down. Not to mention his peripherals are phenomenal.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

[QUOTE=fungchen3;629193]What scares me about trading one of the elite for Buff is if Atlanta trades him or he gets moved back to forward in a year or two.

The situation in Atlanta is tailor made for Buff but who knows what the future holds. QUOTE]

As Fungchen said my biggest fear is that he is moved back to forward, if that happens you just gave up an elite D for an average forward.

I wouldn't trade any of those guys for Buff (fortunately I own him, Green & Keith, owned Doughty to, but traded him to get Malkin). If you're in a one year league go ahead but this is the keeper section so NO WAY.

I don't feel the risk of owning Buff is worth the difference in stats between the 3 people mentioned.

Pts Only 1y - 9 Teams
    F: Stamkos, H. Sedin, Voracek, St Louis, Hornquist, Ladd, Semin, Ribeiro, Hudler, Kuznetsov
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Letang, Goligoski
    G: Price, Holtby

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I don't see how people can say that Byfuglien's production has been over too small of a sample when 27 year old Keith has one season over 45 points under his belt and two seasons over 32 points. Seems to me that people are failing to apply the same criticisms to Keith that they are to Byfuglien. I like Byfuglien more than Keith because my numbers state that Keith's numbers were based quite a bit on an increase in luck last year, not an increase in skill, so a regression was anticipated. In short, he's not a 60 point D man, but he should hit 50 for a few years, and as a Byfuglien owner, I wouldn't trade him straight up for Keith.

What about Doughty? A 21 year old with a 59 point season under his belt and the PP QB on an up and coming team is tough to pass up. I'd say that he's a notch above Byfuglien.

Green it tougher. He's really trying to modify his game to be more responsible, Carlson looks like he will cut into his value in future years, he's having troubles with nagging injuries and he's in a bit of a slump. That said, by 25, he has 2 70+ point seasons under his belt and one 56 point season. Since he's the same age as Byfuglien and has a much better track record and he's on the highest scoring team in the league, I think Green is a notch above Byfuglien.

Mabus
    9 Team Points Only Keeper (Protect 10). Roster of 9F, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 6 Bench
    F - Malkin, Kane, Gaborik, Kopitar, Perry, Hossa, Zetterberg, M. Koivu, Hemsky, Cammalleri, Filppula, Ennis, Fleischmann,
    D - Phaneuf, Goligoski, Byfuglien, Robidas, Shattenkirk, Hedman
    G - Miller, Halak, Pavelec

Administrator

Some very solid posts here. Thanks for the debate guys, not sure we settled anything but my confusion feels warranted now. Conensus also seems to be that Byfuglien isn't quite on the Doughty/Green level.

I guess the question now becomes, if you were to deal a Doughty/Green for Byfuglien how much more would you ask for?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

I think what's not being taken into account is Bogosian...guy has the skill set to be a 50+ point option himself and is strong defensively on top of it....when he emerges and with Enstrom still in the picture that may eat into a bit of Buff's current value as he will not be utilized to the same extent even and may get moved down low on the PP which under utilizes his cannon from up top which is what's generated a solid chunk of his production...I see him as a consistent 50-60 range guy...goal heavy for a d-man...65-75 Green range long term is over-infalting him in my eyes unless Bogosian or Enstrom get moved out of ATL

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Why is Keith so overrated here? He's been clearly overused in the past year and the Hawks lost lots of secondary scoring after winning the Cup. I doubt he'll even approach 60pts again with his current team.

1.Green/Doughty
    2. Buff/Keith

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mabus View Post
    I don't see how people can say that Byfuglien's production has been over too small of a sample when 27 year old Keith has one season over 45 points under his belt and two seasons over 32 points. Seems to me that people are failing to apply the same criticisms to Keith that they are to Byfuglien. I like Byfuglien more than Keith because my numbers state that Keith's numbers were based quite a bit on an increase in luck last year, not an increase in skill, so a regression was anticipated. In short, he's not a 60 point D man, but he should hit 50 for a few years, and as a Byfuglien owner, I wouldn't trade him straight up for Keith.

What about Doughty? A 21 year old with a 59 point season under his belt and the PP QB on an up and coming team is tough to pass up. I'd say that he's a notch above Byfuglien.

Green it tougher. He's really trying to modify his game to be more responsible, Carlson looks like he will cut into his value in future years, he's having troubles with nagging injuries and he's in a bit of a slump. That said, by 25, he has 2 70+ point seasons under his belt and one 56 point season. Since he's the same age as Byfuglien and has a much better track record and he's on the highest scoring team in the league, I think Green is a notch above Byfuglien.

Mabus
    Mabus,

I think Buff's production is real, but I am more concerned about his role. This is a guy who has be moved around from winger to defenseman and back to winger in the past. If Atlanta trades him, he may end up a forward again.

Hell, even in Atlanta. Say Bogosian emerges and ATL drafts/lands another quality D-Man or two, they always have the luxury of moving Buff up to forward and having him cause havoc in front of the other team's goalie like he did vs. the Flyers.

Green, Doughty and Keith are all 100% defensemen and will be without a doubt for the rest of their careers. There is no messing around with their roles. I would consider dealing Keith but Green and Doughty are tops among keeper D, IMO.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Mabus,

I think Buff's production is real, but I am more concerned about his role. This is a guy who has be moved around from winger to defenseman and back to winger in the past. If Atlanta trades him, he may end up a forward again.

Hell, even in Atlanta. Say Bogosian emerges and ATL drafts/lands another quality D-Man or two, they always have the luxury of moving Buff up to forward and having him cause havoc in front of the other team's goalie like he did vs. the Flyers.

Green, Doughty and Keith are all 100% defensemen and will be without a doubt for the rest of their careers. There is no messing around with their roles. I would consider dealing Keith but Green and Doughty are tops among keeper D, IMO.
    Fungchen said it perfectly. If, and there's a pretty good chance here, that Buff gets moved back to forward I doubt anyone here would trade Green, Doughty or Keith for him. I like Buff, he's proving a lot this year but to offer one of th big 3 on defense is not justifiable yet.

metaldude, if your asking what the addition might be? Well, I'd probably be looking at an upgrade on a forward. Say offering up a fleishmann to an eriksson.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
    I would do it. I can understand why people are enamored Doughty but I can't understand why he is considered anymore elite than Byfuglien.
    Ummmmmmmmmmm, maybe it's because he was a second overall pick and put up those great numbers in his SOPHOMORE season.

Byfuglien was WAIVER FODDER before this season. Now all of a sudden he's elite? He used to be an average forward who sat in front of the net.

Doughty is much much much more elite than Byfuglien will ever be.

Administrator

I know I'm the one asking the questions but I tend to disagree with the thought that Byfuglien would get moved back to forward. Who would do that if he's producing like this from the backend. Clearly it's where he belongs.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I know I'm the one asking the questions but I tend to disagree with the thought that Byfuglien would get moved back to forward. Who would do that if he's producing like this from the backend. Clearly it's where he belongs.
    On Atlanta, yes. But no so sure about other teams. Buff is literally a rover, he goes all over the place with no restraints. He is freelancing worse than Mike Green, which is good for him because ATL is not worried about him covering his end.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Administrator

On Atlanta, yes. But no so sure about other teams. Buff is literally a rover, he goes all over the place with no restraints. He is freelancing worse than Mike Green, which is good for him because ATL is not worried about him covering his end.
    True but I think he's still a better defender than Green even with a wilder approach.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    True but I think he's still a better defender than Green even with a wilder approach.
    You vs. Green defensively = my money is on you.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

You vs. Green defensively = my money is on you.
    lmao,,,ahhhhh-ha-ha-ha. No kiddin'!
    @SmittysRant

Enstrom allows him to be that way...
    @SmittysRant