Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drop any for Hudler?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Kunitz has been on hot streaks b4. hes a 40-50 pt guy if healthy. That is clear.

AS I said if he feels like gambling he could get be rewarded.

Dropping Morin in a full keeper is the bad advice.
    im not seeing how keeping a player that is not even playing in the nhl on your team is better than someone playing on a top line?

Morin has not played since dec 15th and the point of the original post is that his team is in the top 3 and has a chance of winning the pool possibly (at this point). Keeping players that are not even playing in the NHL on your team and hoping to win just will not work in the end.

Take out the part that he is in the top 3 and if he was not competing this year and you are probably right, Kunitz might be a decent option to drop.

But going forward kunitz will produce around 3x more than Morin (if he is even back in the NHL) and of course 100% more if he isnt back this season.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by C.J View Post
    im not seeing how keeping a player that is not even playing in the nhl on your team is better than someone playing on a top line?

Morin has not played since dec 15th and the point of the original post is that his team is in the top 3 and has a chance of winning the pool possibly (at this point). Keeping players that are not even playing in the NHL on your team and hoping to win just will not work in the end.

Take out the part that he is in the top 3 and if he was not competing this year and you are probably right, Kunitz might be a decent option to drop.

But going forward kunitz will produce around 3x more than Morin (if he is even back in the NHL) and of course 100% more if he isnt back this season.
    The whole idea of many keeper leagues is that you have to look beyond just the current season. In many keeper formats it is imperative to have young guys who might not be producing yet but might be "homeruns" in the future. 40-50 pt NHLers are easy to come by in most fantasy leagues (and they change every year based on teams, linemates, injuries etc) Whereas maybe Morin could be a ppg player in 3 years. Ppg players are a lot harder to come by and maybe he would have to give up a lot to trade for a player like that 2 years from now. Where as drafting him early and stashing him on your team is a low risk high reward strategy.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

There are always "Morins" available in any league each year. To waste a roster spot on a player not playing with some potential is crazy when you aare trying to win. Imagine a gm keeping Turris over tha past 4 years and he has 10x (or more) the predicted talent Monin does.

Looking at his sig its a 12 team league with 24 players...so thats 288 protected. I would bet at least 24 of those would be goalies as they are the most in demand. And a low guess that 30 dmen are protected.

That leaves 234 protected forwards and out of that 234 i would say that at least 150 are players that have proven NHL track records. Which leaves a ton of available players, especially rookies with some potential (like Morin) available each year.

I agree that each year there are a ton of "kunitz" type players (50-55 pts), but when you are trying to win a pool those points are needed now.

Its just like the NHL at the deadline, teams trade rookie potential for vets because they need the help now....you never know when you might be in the hunt to win again.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by C.J View Post
    There are always "Morins" available in any league each year. To waste a roster spot on a player not playing with some potential is crazy when you aare trying to win. Imagine a gm keeping Turris over tha past 4 years and he has 10x (or more) the predicted talent Monin does.

Looking at his sig its a 12 team league with 24 players...so thats 288 protected. I would bet at least 24 of those would be goalies as they are the most in demand. And a low guess that 30 dmen are protected.

That leaves 234 protected forwards and out of that 234 i would say that at least 150 are players that have proven NHL track records. Which leaves a ton of available players, especially rookies with some potential (like Morin) available each year.

I agree that each year there are a ton of "kunitz" type players (50-55 pts), but when you are trying to win a pool those points are needed now.

Its just like the NHL at the deadline, teams trade rookie potential for vets because they need the help now....you never know when you might be in the hunt to win again.
    Well Im certainly not trading a Morin for that.

To each there own I guess. Hes in a situation where hes building but playing better then he thought. Will he win it all? Spezza is out. His Goaltending has great potential but is good enough to win now? No not really.

Maybe make improvements there if u want to win this year.

But Morin may be a solid player when you ready to be a dominant force.
    Last edited by sparrowtrini; December 30, 2010 at 2:13 PM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I've already tried to make goalie deals, but other teams aren't budging.

This may have been missed in my Sig for League stats, but we do only play 11 forwards per night where each slot gets 82 games.

When Spezza and Oshie are back in a month or so, they will take the position slots of Perreault and Omark leaving them on the Reserve with Morin.

So Hudler would only be a temp fill while those two are injured.
    DYNASTY Cap(127M) 12 Team
    G, A, PIM(.1), positive +/- D only, W(2), SO(2), OTL(1)
    23 + 4 IR + 7 prospects (locked in for season if under 200 GP)
    Start: 11F, 5D, 2G - 82 games each slot

F: Crosby, Malkin, Aho, Rantanen, Batherson, Boldy, Kempe, Pavelski, Duchene, Hagel, Frost [Duclair, Farabee, Jenner]
    D: Fox, Karlsson, Hamilton, Letang, Montour
    IR:
    G: Sorokin, Kuemper[Husso, Kochetkov]

P: Stankoven, Tomasino, Vilardi, Sanderson, York, Zellweger, Wahlstrom
    Roster Cap Breakdown

DYNASTY Cap (110M) 12 Team 2
    G, A, PIM(.1), Positive +/- D only(0.5), Hattie(3), W(2), SO(3), OTL(1)
    League & Roster Info

Dobber Sports Guru

No IR slot? I'd hope Spezz will be there soon. Could be your solution.

Dealing 2-for-1 is the best choice, but not always easy. I will say, however, that I think dropping Morin isn't a terrible idea. He's a solid prospect, but Kunitz is producing now. If you really think you can compete this year (which I wonder about -- agreeing with Sparrow's questions about goaltending and injuries), then I'd roll with the hotter hand. If you don't think you're in it for this season, then dropping Kunitz is an easier choice.

I also like the MDZ option too. With the D you've got, I can't imagine he's much help to you right now.

Sometimes, I think it's easy to get enamored with prospects, but with only 11 starting forwards, it's tough to hang on to 3-4 prospects that won't guarantee production (you hit with Stepan and even Perreault hopefully for this year, but Omark and Morin aren't helping much this season). I'd think you'd want 12-13 forwards that are safer bets for guaranteed production.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post

Sometimes, I think it's easy to get enamored with prospects, but with only 11 starting forwards, it's tough to hang on to 3-4 prospects that won't guarantee production (you hit with Stepan and even Perreault hopefully for this year, but Omark and Morin aren't helping much this season). I'd think you'd want 12-13 forwards that are safer bets for guaranteed production.
    Oh I agree that one shouldnt get caught up overly with Prospects, especially in this size lg. But atleast give me a better player to drop them for. Kunitz is a journey man who will eventually peeter out, if he doesnt get hurt again.