Thread: Piss poor D - thoughts?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Piss poor D - thoughts?

I've gotten brutal production from my D this year. I didn't expect miracles, but they've been pretty mediocre. I'm probably out of it for this year, but we keep all of our players, and I've been doing some trading, setting up for next year. I'd like a bit an audit on my blueliners if someone has some insight on one/some/all of them.

It's points only, and it's a pretty deep league (Leopold might be the best on the WW right now), so it's a tough problem to fix:

Campbell
    Goligoski
    Ehrhoff
    Jovanovski
    Sekera
    Vlasic
    Demers
    Niskanen
    B. Smith

The top three are doing okay, and Brendan Smith is having a good AHL year, so I'm happy with how he's doing.

My questions really involve the group of younger guys that aren't getting it done: Sekera, Demers, Niskanen, and Vlasic.

They've all shown some potential. Are some/all of them worth waiting on? Can these guys get to 30+ range with some consistency? Can any of them breakout for more? Any of them more valuable than others?

Thanks in advance.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Initiate

Of all the names you list there, Vlasic is the one that stands out as Dropsie #1. The guy's like a Chris Phillips-type. Good in real life, not in fantasy.

He's my pick for least valuable.

But that block from Jovocop to Niskanen...that's a tough group to compete with. Of those, Demers MIGHT be the one worth waiting on. I just don't see enough SJ games to know with any degree of certainty.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Jenner Frost Novak ---Rossi Cooley MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson Yager
    LW: Caufield Fiala Hagel Nichushkin ---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brink Kakko ---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan Lekkerimaki
    D : Theodore Seider Chabot Gostisbehere Liljegren Carlo ---Edvinsson
    G : Montembault Hart ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Zellweger Fehervary

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts
    2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Star

Demers is a keeper for sure. He is the heir apparent to Boyle. Niskinen and Sekera are dropsys, as is Vlassic, but it depends who is around. Are guys like John Blum, John Moore, Maxim Goncharov still around? If so I would take them in that order. Feel free to provide a list of available waiver guys/prospects.

I would also take Leopold - he seems to have found his way in Buffalo, and try to flip him to a contender down the stretch. I would also move Jovo to a contender and try to pry away a guy like Kulikov or someone. Visions of winning may entice someone to take a chance on Jovo.

Hope this helps - good luck
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Guru

Good suggestions, but I don't think any of these guys will be dropped too quickly. Here's some more to think about:

For starters, we get 1 WW move per year (I still have mine, but....)

Our only other way of developing (not including trading) is through a 5-round prospect draft (under 24-year-olds only).

I've been trying to move Jovo a bit -- no real interest now (could change closer to deadline).

WW options (not much):
    Hillen
    Ericsson
    Hunwick
    Gorges
    Salmela
    Oduya
    Leopold
    Lepisto
    Any of these much better than what I've got?

Prospects this summer (in the order Dobber has 'em ranked):
    Cohen
    Scandella
    Despres
    Wiercioch
    Voynov
    Vishnevskiy
    Leddy
    Robak
    Chorney

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Dobber Sports Padawan

I also agree that Demers is the only name of your bubble players that I would keep.
    Depending on what position you're drafting next year you might want to consider players like Adam Larsson and Ryan Murphy, but I guess that goes without saying.

I'm not surprised you're having trouble dealing Jovo straight-up for someone like Kulikov. To upgrade on your d-men you're gonna have to package a decent forward and start from there.

Not sure if any of this helps.
    Just my two cents...

Good luck, Stone.

Dobber Sports Star

The one WW is a killer. We have unlimited in our league, so I was going on that.

Not much there to bother with on the WW or prospects front, IMO. Given that you are trying to contend next year (given your vets up front), I wouldn't go too young. Smith and Demers are enough youngsters to have, given how long D take to develop.

I would really try the trade route, and see if you can package the "potential" in Niskinen and Sekera for someone. Maybe you can sell high on Campbell's name and include one of Nisk or Sekera in a package that lands you someone decent.

Tough call, you may be stuck with what you have. Man, 1 WW per year is tough.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    The one WW is a killer. We have unlimited in our league, so I was going on that.

Not much there to bother with on the WW or prospects front, IMO. Given that you are trying to contend next year (given your vets up front), I wouldn't go too young. Smith and Demers are enough youngsters to have, given how long D take to develop.

I would really try the trade route, and see if you can package the "potential" in Niskinen and Sekera for someone. Maybe you can sell high on Campbell's name and include one of Nisk or Sekera in a package that lands you someone decent.

Tough call, you may be stuck with what you have. Man, 1 WW per year is tough.
    It is tough. Starting next year, we won't even have in-season WW moves (mirroring the real NHL where WW pickups are rare). Campbell is a guy that should have some value though -- maybe closer to the deadline or if/when injuries happen. Thanks.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Sorry I thought this was a thread about the Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    Sorry I thought this was a thread about the Maple Leafs
    I like the Leafs but man that was funny.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dodospice View Post
    I like the Leafs but man that was funny.
    Notice my Avatar HUGE fan angry fan and I laughed at myself LOL