Thread: OEL, McBain, or Karlsson?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default OEL, McBain, or Karlsson?

Who is the better D man? Now and into the future...

Who has the best offensive upside? Defensive upside? PIM upside? Better overall?

Opinions would be much appreciated! Rep for quality comparisons....
    14 Team Keeper PTS, +/-, PIM's *.3 20 Players, 4 Center, 8 Wing, 6 D-men, 2 Goalies, NHL cap hit $91 Million Total

Centers Tavares, Giroux, Draisaitl, Eichel
    Wing Eberle, Kessel, Schenn, Hall, Nichushkin, Stone, B. Ryan, Connolly
    Defence Karlsson, OEL, Shattenkirk, Murphy, Gardiner, Daley
    Goal Lehner, Schneider

Prospects Shinkaruk, Frk, Pulock, Marner, Zacha, Rod, Kapanen, Leblanc, Kristo, McNeill, Noesen, Tuch

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Where's Carlson?

He's definitely in the mix here.

And P.K. Subban?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gregg View Post
    He's definitely in the mix here.

And P.K. Subban?
    Not counting those cats out at all....definately in the same young D-man stud class. I posted the thread to hear your opinions on the three young lads in question for strictly personal reasons.
    14 Team Keeper PTS, +/-, PIM's *.3 20 Players, 4 Center, 8 Wing, 6 D-men, 2 Goalies, NHL cap hit $91 Million Total

Centers Tavares, Giroux, Draisaitl, Eichel
    Wing Eberle, Kessel, Schenn, Hall, Nichushkin, Stone, B. Ryan, Connolly
    Defence Karlsson, OEL, Shattenkirk, Murphy, Gardiner, Daley
    Goal Lehner, Schneider

Prospects Shinkaruk, Frk, Pulock, Marner, Zacha, Rod, Kapanen, Leblanc, Kristo, McNeill, Noesen, Tuch

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I like Karlsson but something worries me. Maybe it's playing in Ottawa.

I'm thinking OEL.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Karlsson just potted 3 assists. The Sens may not be any good, but don't discredit Karlsson because of it.
    Carlson is the only one I might want ahead of Karlsson.

Subban has a lot to learn and he is going to see a lot of press box doing it. He is a ways away.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Legend

Out of those three I clearly like Karlsson the best. I will break it down like this:

1.) Karlsson. The most offensively gifted and offensively focused of the trio. His instincts are fabulous, he is always looking to jump into the play and has a bomb from the point. He is a pure PP QB and could be a top offensive producer on D.

2.) Ekman-Larsson. I think OEL will be the best package out of these guys. He has all the tools to be great offensively and to log huge minutes in all situations. His vision and passing is the best of the bunch but he is not a cowboy like Karlsson.

3.) McBain. In the end I think he will be a real nice producer and the drop should be minimal between him and OEL, possibly even between him and Karlsson. I just think the Swedes have more raw talent than him. Getting top PP minutes will be vital for McBain.

That is how I see it between these guys. But like I said, the difference in upside could be 5-10 points between them all. If Karlsson ends up a 60+ point guy, OEL could register 55 and McBain 50+ or so.

Good luck chosing young D. I've learned picking the gems in most cases is like bellying up at a blackjack table, you need lady luck on your side. I mean, who would have thought Fowler, Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo would be as hot as they are this year?

The hype heading into this season was around McBain, Karlsson, Carlson, Subban, Del Zotto, Demers and even Kulikov a bit. No one pegged Fowler, Shatts and Pietro to be among the hottest young defenders in fantasy this year. Definitely not outpointing the others.
    Last edited by fungchen3; December 17, 2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Pts.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka