Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: World Junior Championship Chat

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default World Junior Championship Chat

I am going to sticky this thread and we can use it as a place for discussion as the WJC approaches us over the next few weeks. Remember, if your league permits....load up on these prospects and sell high on them during/following the WJCs

Let's start discussion with a simple question,

Who are you looking forward to watching at this year's WJC? (name 1-3 from each nation)

I know the teams haven't been selected yet but let's speculate
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; December 13, 2010 at 7:28 PM.

Dobber Sports Pro

Martin Marincin(Slovakia)

Oilers 2nd round pick, most of the Oilers brass felt he was an absolute steal in the 2nd round, and he's proving them right so far. He currently leads all WHL Dmen in scoring, 33points in 32 games.
    I dont expect much considering the team he plays for, but I'm looking forward to seeing him in game action.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I will start:

CANADA - Sean Couturier, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Brett Connolly
    I haven't watched either of them live so this is going to be fun. I am also routing for Brett Connolly to do well too.

USA - Jerry D'Amigo, Jeremy Morin and Jack Campbell.
    I am hoping that D'Amigo can prove to us leaf fans that we have something to be excited for. Morin has looked decent at the NHL level and he should tear this tourney apart. I watched Jack Campbell play earlier this season and he looked terrible. I am hoping he still looks terrible and doesn't bring that WJC stuff from last year

RUSSIA - Tarasenko, Yakupov
    Two simply electrifying talents and I hope to see both on Russia's roster. At times I feel as though I am Yakupov's agent but once he's exposed to the rest of the world, people will be going goo-goo for him.

SWEDEN - Adam Larsson, Adam Larsson, Adam Larsson and Lehner
    He looked awesome last year but he should be simply dominant this year.
    I want to see Big Ev's golden boy in action. I have seen him play a few times and he looks like the real deal. He could be a HUGE story in this year's WJC.

I will do some of the other teams later. My favourite thing about the WJC are those unexpected breakout prospects that surface every year.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; December 13, 2010 at 8:01 PM.

Dobber Sports Expert

I really want to see how Sean Couturier matches up against the best U20 in the world. Saw him twice this season, and I was very disappointed in what I saw but he has added up alot of point recently in the Q.

Adam Larsson of course is a can't miss at this year's championship. I haven't watched alot of his play, just a glimpse last year at the WJC. He really sounds like the perfect package.

Finnally, I want to see how Jack Campbell will perform again this year. He is struggling right now in the OHL and the U.S will really lean on him to be their top player this season. Loosing Carlson, Stepan, Schreider and Kristo is gonna come back and bite the U.S.A in the butt.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR BOXING DAY!
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Administrator

Good idea here Dean!

Players I want to see:

Canada - Jaden Schwartz - If you've read my piece on him, you'll know I'm very high on him.

USA - Adam Clendening - 2011 draft eligible defenseman. I've got Shattenkirk as a comparable for him.

Finland - Teemu Pulkkinen - Detroit prospects are always good ones to watch, plus Mikael Granlund may be out with a concussion.

Sweden - Robin Lehner - Good chance to see Ottawa's future between the pipes go up against the best in the world. These guys are honestly my favourites to win it all. Not as stacked as in the past but have plenty of returning players with high end talent, particularly on the blue line and with Canada-USA headlining there's no pressure on Sweden.

Russia - Vladimir Tarasenko - High time I saw this kid display that high end skill level.

Switzerland - Nino Niederreiter - Only reason to be excited about this team.

Slovakia - Martin Marincin - Assuming he plays. Slovakia hasn't released any of the players currently playing in North America that could play on this roster. If he does play, I definitely want to see what the big blueliner can do with the fast start he's off to in the WHL.

Germany - Tom Kuhnhackl - Pittsburgh prospect.

Czech Rep. - Petr Straka - High end talented forward.

Norway - Ummm.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

adding to my list

CZECH REPUBLIC - Martin Frk, Petr Straka, David Musil
    Frk is an elite prospect from all accounts I hear. I want to see him in action. He seems to be having a good season in the Q. Straka - I don't know much about this "Straka" but I will be keeping an eye pealed. Hopefully Musil (WHL) can play for the Czech team after suffering an injury. I only hear good things about him

FINLAND - Mikael Granlund, Teemu Pulkkinen, Toni Rajala
    Any chance for Finland medallling rests on Granlund's availability for the tourney IMO. As an owner, I hope he is able to play. As Metaldude listed above, Pulkkinen was talked alot this past draft and now that he's a DET prospect we all NEED to know more. It seems like Rajala has been around FOREVER in these tournaments haha. He seems buried in Edmonton but let's see how he does as the elder on Team Finland. Eventually, you would think the Oilers might shop him.

SWITZERLAND - Nino Neidderreiter
    Let's see what another year does for El Nino. He's a special player. There is not much else passed him though
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; December 13, 2010 at 8:09 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Stan Bowman says Jeremy Morin (USA) will only be granted permission to attend WJC if the Hawks are healthy

via @TimSassone

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Be sure to follow @TSNBobMcKenzie on twitter. He is tweeting live from the camp games right now

I should have mentioned that I hope Zack Kassian makes Team Canada. He will be a lot of fun to watch.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Be sure to follow @TSNBobMcKenzie on twitter. He is tweeting live from the camp games right now

I should have mentioned that I hope Zack Kassian makes Team Canada. He will be a lot of fun to watch.
    He's a long shot if Canada hopes to play a disciplined game.

Banned

Canada

Jared Cowen - excited to see a healthy, dominant Cowen unlike last year...captain maybe?

Ryan Murphy - Don Cherry loves him, excited to see if he's a Doughty or more like a Green

Ryan Johansen - could be in for a big tourney

RNH - future Senator

Sweden

Robin Lehner - I just want to see him play, he hasn't been in many games this year

Gabriel Landeskog - I want to see what the hype is about, apparently he is pretty much Canadian

Adam Larsson - obviously

Calle Jarnkrok - I just want to see if he's actually a potential "steal" by Detroit or if he's just a shrimp who will never make it.
    Last edited by Big Ev; December 13, 2010 at 8:47 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Ryan Murphy - Don Cherry loves him, excited to see if he's a Doughty or more like a Green
    I'm gonna go with none of the above.

RNH - future Senator
    Sens are gonna finish bottom 3?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'm gonna go with none of the above.

Sens are gonna finish bottom 3?
    I can only hope...that's why I'm also excited to see Landeskog. Future Alfie

Administrator

I can only hope...that's why I'm also excited to see Landeskog. Future Alfie
    Totally different player. But the Sens do have a nice group of Swedes so you never know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Totally different player. But the Sens do have a nice group of Swedes so you never know.
    Everything I've read seems to point to him being an Alfie type guy. A leader, a scorer, a guy who plays two-way, and Swedish. Or is he more of a one-dimensional power forward?

and it's too bad our Swedish scout is gone (now coaching Runblad's team), he got us some good prospects

Administrator

Leadership. Yes, 100% Two-way. Yes, definitely. But he's got much more size and raw power than Alffy.