Thread: CBS League Question.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default CBS League Question.

I wasn't sure where to put this in the forum so here is where it landed.

I'm really interested in joining a cash league in the near future, whether that's this year or next.

I noticed on CBS Fantasy hockey that you can partake in Fantasy Hockey Premium games. Can anyone give me some quick details on this?

Can I join now? How difficult/competitive is it? etc etc.
    The Untouchables Cup.
    C: Crosby, Giroux, J. Staal, Statsny, Desharnais
    RW: Voracek, B. Ryan, Brown, Gallagher
    LW: Parise, Landeskog, Lucic, van Riemsdyk
    D: Suter, Edler, Carlson, Girardi, Hamhuis, Giordano
    G: Rask, Luongo, Halak
    Categories:
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP,
    SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SHO
    10 Team Roto Limited Keeper
    3C, 3RW, 3LW, 2W, 1F, 6D, 2G, 3BN

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Chillin View Post
    I wasn't sure where to put this in the forum so here is where it landed.

I'm really interested in joining a cash league in the near future, whether that's this year or next.

I noticed on CBS Fantasy hockey that you can partake in Fantasy Hockey Premium games. Can anyone give me some quick details on this?

Can I join now? How difficult/competitive is it? etc etc.

You can join now , however there has to be enough members joining for the league to form and play on CBS. Example, if you sign up for a CBS league premium or other, and there are 3 leagues open you can sign up, but I believe it must get to 12 teams for the league to be created and begin play. It's typically not all that competitive, I'm personally not a fan of random public leagues, you'll get a better experience in a private league with custom scoring options.

My suggestion is to wait, next year find yourself a private CBS league that has the payout structure and scoring setup you prefer most.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I can't speak to the CBS question, but I will second something Shake said.

Take it from somebody with lots of public league experience, you can do better. They have their place, don't get me wrong, their fine as a way to get your feet wet and learn the game.

They also provide an avenue for guys like me who didn't have any friends or family who were into fantasy hockey, and didn't know about places like this where you can hook up with fellow fanatics and find leagues to join. In your case SC, with your obvious passion for the game, I think you'll find those leagues less challenging and therefore far less fun.

Like Shake said, and as the second half of your name says, just chill and wait for next year and get into a league you'll enjoy even more.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm more interested in competing in a cash league. I really want to put my fantasy skills to the test. I was more inquiring about that side of the CBS leagues and looking for advice on them.
    The Untouchables Cup.
    C: Crosby, Giroux, J. Staal, Statsny, Desharnais
    RW: Voracek, B. Ryan, Brown, Gallagher
    LW: Parise, Landeskog, Lucic, van Riemsdyk
    D: Suter, Edler, Carlson, Girardi, Hamhuis, Giordano
    G: Rask, Luongo, Halak
    Categories:
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP,
    SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, SV, SV%, GAA, SHO
    10 Team Roto Limited Keeper
    3C, 3RW, 3LW, 2W, 1F, 6D, 2G, 3BN

Dobber Sports Genius

Alright well since I play in the CBS cash leagues myself...first off there is a significant difference between a "public league" and a "public cash league"...the public cash leagues are extremely competitive...you have two sub-distinctions "Gold league" and "Platinum League"...gold league team costs you 29.99 for one team and then if you want to make other gold league teamsthey only charge you 25 for each additional $150 first prize....the platinum leagues are 99 for your first team 79 for each additional team yo make after that and $600 first prize. Difference in Platinum and Gold is Platinum all the people are tight as f*ck with trades etc.. so it's very difficult to get people to make trades or get anything passed...however as I mentioned before CBSsports.com commissioner has final say on veto'd deal so if you get a legit deal accepted it will get passed even if get's veto'd down as long as it's not a 3 for 1, collusion, or involving an injured player. I prefer the gold league teams as I can get 4 team at the price of 1 platinum team at which I will win at least one league realistically..maybe more...and still render a profit and get my money's worth playing for a full season as these are again extremely competitive at both levels...people in platinum leagues often also play gold leagues as well but often due to having more money down in a platinum are much tighter with how they manage their teams so again I prefer the Gold League format..vs. drafting and make FA acquisitions all year with lower prospect for trades. The "free public leagues" on the other hand are a joke just like the free public leagues on any other site.

The scoring system however is what really separates playing on CBS specifically a opposed to elsewhere as their system requires that you have an all around dominant team to win..not just forward heavy and also puts a premium on offensive defenseman and winning netminders....it has a graduated scoring system as well per postion as you can see in my sig and goes by weekly rosters points average per your 12 starters so someone plating 4 games in a week is not anymore or less valuable than someone playing 2 game as 8 fantasy points over 2 games gives that player an average of 4 for the week where as 16 fantasy points over 4 games still gives that player a weekly points average of 4 points for the week...sum of each of your 12 starters for that week gives your team their total score...usually need mid 30's + to win in a H2H matchup...scoring system is the best around and although only 25 have been playing fantasy for 10 years played Sandbox, Yahoo, ESPN and this is the best scoring system around and the cash leagues are evn tougher competition than my private friends leagues to where we took the best of the people in my private league and all sign up for the same CBS cash league and play with 1/2 people we know..half people we don't...and then I have a couple other cash league teams where it's just me and I kow nobody else...if you sign up after the NHL season starts the competition is much weaker as everyone who is good and plays has already made their teams in the pre-season os it's all fantast football kids whose team got knoked out so they make a hockey team and follow that instead while having no clue what they're doing...wait till next season and play in the gold or platinum leagues on CBS (preferably gold)...you will not want to play anywhere else and the competition in the cash leagues is very strong..even more so than the free private landsharkhockey.com experts league im in on there for free...I wouldn't play anywhere else for a one year league if I didn't play on CBS as their scoring system is the best out there...the competition is very strong, and there is a nice potential financial stipend for winning your league without the entry fee being unaffordable