View Poll Results: What should be done about racy Avatars?

Voters
244. This poll is closed
  • Nothing, they can be disabled via the User CP if you don't want to see them

116 47.54%
  • Remove the racy Avatars/pictures each time they are posted and warn the guilty party

65 26.64%
  • Put out a plea to all members asking them to tone it down

63 25.82%
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Racy Avatars - your input needed

Dobber Sports Star

Take them down they aren't kool at all. If I want to see naked pictures I can always go else where were adult avatars are available.
    It's kind of childish.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ballsakic View Post
    It's kind of childish.
    Someone who goes by the name of "Ballsakic" is calling others childish. I love it! lol

This is becoming the best thread ever.

For the record I don't think anyone gave Dobber grief. I think the grief was intended towards the prudes who forced his hand.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Ninja

Either way, it's become clear that this place is no longer what it used to be - inevitable I suppose - with numbers comes this sort of change.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lanky522 View Post
    I think that's exactly the point of the topless, hairy men avatars... to make the annoying whiners who complained about women avatars just as uncomfortable as before... but not only that... but to hopefully make them feel sheepish for being so ridiculous (in my opinion) in the first place.
    not that I care much either way...but I just want to point out the obvious flaw to this statement. The main difference between the half naked male and female avatars is that the female avatars can be construed as sexist and disrespectful to women. I am not a feminist, nor am I even female, but for years women have been portrayed as nothing more than sex objects and a website that wants to come across as respectful to women, and perhaps even attract the odd female site member, might be better off without these sexist avatars.

As much as I find the male avatars disturbing, I don't find them disrespectful.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Ya, whatta ya want?
    ...classic!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I am still for the hairy chested group hug!! come on guys I hate this really cant we just atlk about hockey....LETS JUST AGREE TO DISAGREE!!

If we dont this thread will go on forever!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by 93213 View Post
    How long before we have a "Can we stop with the photos of racy men as avatars please"?
    Precisely!
    These same people will complain that their co-workers think they're gay with the half-naked dudes on their screen. haha LMAO

"... not that there's anything wrong with that"
    12 Team Roto Keeper
    F/D Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
    G Cats: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Pro Roster
    C: M Ribeiro, B Richards, D Roy, J Skinner
    LW: R Clowe, Z Parise
    RW: T Purcell
    D: T Enstrom, JM Liles, D Phaneuf

G: R Miller, J Reimer

Farm Team
    L Omark, J Blum, G Clitsome, J Huberdeau, Z Dalpe, L Adam

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    I am still for the hairy chested group hug!! come on guys I hate this really cant we just atlk about hockey....LETS JUST AGREE TO DISAGREE!!

I find it hilarious that the people who keep bitching about this thread and lamenting the notion of 'why can't we just talk about hockey' are the same ones who come back to read it everyday and post about how much they hate it. Do you not appreciate the disconnect there? lol

If you don't wanna read it then don't, no one is forcing you to, there are hundreds of other hockey related threads you could focus your energies on. For whatever reason people want to keep this one going and I think that's fine, especially as we're still getting a trickle of people who haven't weighed in yet commenting

Dobber Sports Veteran

Sorry I just notice pop to the top on my user page...so have at her!

Dobber Sports Ninja

And the fact is that after all of the threads, moaning, and complaining that has gone on, very few people still even understand the point.

This isn't really about freedom of expression etc. It's about understanding the bottom line for Dobber as a business. This isn't "Oooh I am offended by those women.", this is "I can no longer touch this website with a ten foot pole on my lunch break at work BECAUSE of those pictures."

Whether I agree or disagree with those pictures at all is actually pretty much irellevant here. Because coworkers or either sex - who WILL be offended (whether that irks you or not) by many of those pictures - will be sitting in the lunch room watching over our shoulders - it simply became impossible to come here any more during work hours. I am posting now at home.

So bitch, moan, and complain, all you want about prudeness, other cultures, and the like, but good luck changing the culture in the countries where the bulk of the people accessing this site are viewing it from. It's just not happening.

So the only option is to be stubborn and stage some sort of protest that will achieve nothing at all, or to act like bloody adults and give it a rest.

I am certain that option 2 isn't going to happen though, so I'll have to be happy with coming here far less and just leave it at that. If I'm the only one - awesome! I actually hope that's true. I do wonder how many others are having to do the same thing though and ultimately hurting the bottom line of what is trying to be accomplished here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    And the fact is that after all of the threads, moaning, and complaining that has gone on, very few people still even understand the point.

This isn't really about freedom of expression etc. It's about understanding the bottom line for Dobber as a business. This isn't "Oooh I am offended by those women.", this is "I can no longer touch this website with a ten foot pole on my lunch break at work BECAUSE of those pictures."

Whether I agree or disagree with those pictures at all is actually pretty much irellevant here. Because coworkers or either sex - who WILL be offended (whether that irks you or not) by many of those pictures - will be sitting in the lunch room watching over our shoulders - it simply became impossible to come here any more during work hours. I am posting now at home.

So bitch, moan, and complain, all you want about prudeness, other cultures, and the like, but good luck changing the culture in the countries where the bulk of the people accessing this site are viewing it from. It's just not happening.

So the only option is to be stubborn and stage some sort of protest that will achieve nothing at all, or to act like bloody adults and give it a rest.

I am certain that option 2 isn't going to happen though, so I'll have to be happy with coming here far less and just leave it at that. If I'm the only one - awesome! I actually hope that's true. I do wonder how many others are having to do the same thing though and ultimately hurting the bottom line of what is trying to be accomplished here.
    With all due respect dude you're kinda talkin outta your ass on this one for several reasons:

1)as has been pointed out ad nauseum, just because you work at a prudsh company doesn't mean the rest of the world does.
    2)you can TURN THE AVATARS OFF COMPLETELY. So if they offend you or your colleagues at work then turn em off. You can always turn em on again while at home to see what you're missing.
    3)regardless of what side of the argument you fall on the message got conveyed and 98% of the racy avatars have been replaced. Dobber is not going to lose his shirt and life will go on
    4)believe it or not, everyone doesn't agree with you or with one another on this issue. Its a forum tho, that's where discussion is supposed to occurr
    5)those who would trade freedom for safety deserve neither
    Last edited by mister_mcgoo; December 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 93213 View Post
    Someone who goes by the name of "Ballsakic" is calling others childish. I love it! lol

This is becoming the best thread ever.

For the record I don't think anyone gave Dobber grief. I think the grief was intended towards the prudes who forced his hand.
    Did someone force his hand, or was this His thought on His own volition? I don't know.

Can you confirm this, or is it just your opinion?
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
    Did someone force his hand, or was this His thought on His own volition? I don't know.

Can you confirm this, or is it just your opinion?
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it started with this thread here.
    Last edited by Instant Karma; December 3, 2010 at 3:55 PM.

RETIRED

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    All this thread has proven is that Dobber shouldn't bother with trying to have civilized discussion with people but should do whatever the hell he feels like down the road. He'll get grief and whining either way so might as well just cut out the discussion side of it and spend more time on hockey projections.
    dude, why are you the biggest brown noser on this forum.. I seriously despite you with all I got

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post

so,if you don't like this thread, why do you keep coming back to it with your stupid grouphug gayness

Why don't you just go to the hockey threads then, or do you want us to hold your hand while you go to the hockey forums