Thread: Putting Bryz on the Block

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Putting Bryz on the Block

I put Bryz on the trading block in one of my leagues (not the one below) asking for single player, preferably a forward, in return. I have the lock on Boston and Philly goalies but my bench is very shallow for skaters as a result (4 bench spots - three currently being used for goalies).

The only response I received was Gonchar which I declined.

It is a 14 team league so reliable starting goalies should be at a premium. I was trying to get Semin (recognizing I may need to sweeten it a bit) but no dice. The same manager has Kovalchuk - would trading Bryz for Kovy be wise if I can get it? I already have Clarkson and Parise.

Here is my team (roto - 3C, 5W, 4D, 1 Util, 2 G - 82 games max per slot):

C: Marleau (W), Carter (W), McDonald (W)
    W: Hossa, Clarkson, Clowe, Backes, Kovalev (ugh)
    D: Vishnovsky, Edler, E. Johnson (ugh), Karlsson, B. Clark
    U: Callahan
    G: Thomas, Rask, Boucher, Bobrovsky, Bryz
    IR: Leighton, Parise

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: Cats are G,A,+/-, PIM, SOG, PPP, SHP for skaters and W, SO, SV% and GAA for netminders.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

For a player of Byrz's caliber and being starting goalies are at a premium, you need a player with more guaranteed upside then Kovy. Stick to your guns, you should get a guy like Kane, Marleau or Mike Richards just to name a few.
    12 Team ESPN H2H Keeper: 1F/1D/1G
    Skater: G, A, +/-, PTS, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, FOW, TOI, SOG, HIT, DEF
    Goalie: W, SV, SO, GAA, SV%

Mind Your Manners
    Fowards: Tavares, Toews, T. Johnson, Kucherov, Backes, Turris, Huberdeau, Stepan, Kunitz, Filppula, Perron, J. Staal, M. Martin
    Defense: Letang, Carlson, Streit, Fowler, Johnson, Zidlicky
    Goalies: Bishop, Dubnyk, Pavelec
    Daily Start: 9F/5D/1Util/2G

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks for the feedback skotchek - that's pretty much what I am thinking but wanted some sober second thought. I figure I can roll with all three (Pho, Bos and Phi) and the maybe trade away two goalies/teams in Jan. if other managers ever figure out how important goalies are.

Dobber Sports Stud

Landed Eric Staal for Bryz this morning - am pretty happy with this since McDonald headbutted someones knee (and then took a minus)the other night and I am down a center.

Thanks for keeping me grounded skotchek.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would have traded the PHI duo as that frees up two skater spots while Bryz puts up 70/82 starts while only occupying one spot.

That said, Staal isn't a bad return for Bryz.

Dobber Sports Stud

Leafs2010 - I didn't try to trade Philly as the situation is still a little up in the air (which two of the three stay) and most managers in our league don't want two goalies versus one (in Bryz) for the exact reasons you stated. I think your logic is bang on but unfortunately it worked against me!

Kudos for the feedback - nice to know my radar is not completely off kilter.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

There is a lot of merit in what Leafs2010 says. You have a short bench anyway so tying up an extra bench position with those tandems is certainly going to limit your roster flexibility.

But I also think in a roto league that having a lock on the goaltending for 2 such strong teams is certainly a place I want to be. And you really did need a center for this league so I think you got good return for Bryz. I hope you are up on max games for goalies at this point - that would still allow you to play the snot out of your guys and move a tandem in trade for perhaps a slightly lesser goalie in a month or so for more skater help.

Dobber Sports Stud

Shoeless - as of tonight I will have played 70 games in net and was thinking somewhat along the same lines but hadn't thought it all the way through. I doubt I will need the full 164 games as most managers are already way behind in either games played or wins and don't have the resources to catch up (14 teams and enough injuries/platoons to slow managers down). I figure with 140 starts, give or take, I should be in the top 3 for wins.

Really appreciate the advice - helps me plan the next move, which I am learning is a big part of the battle.

Cheers.