Page 302 of 371 FirstFirst ... 202 252 292 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 312 352 ... LastLast
Results 4,516 to 4,530 of 5551

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

This team beats up on the little guys, but gets dominated by the better teams. I have zero excitement about them making the playoffs.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Here's a question for the Oiler fans out there. If Kevyn Adams called Ken Holland today, and offered Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, do you do that trade? Yes, their salaries are different, but lets say for argument sake, Buffalo retains a part of the salary to make it cap in for cap out (yes I know when Hall got dealt he was making $6M and Larsson was still on the same contract of $4.16M).

Would you make that trade today?
    I would make that deal for sure.

I get that Larsson is playing pretty well and fills a niche as the only real shutdown option on the right side, whereas Barrie/Bouchard are all offense and Bear is having some real hiccups. But that's a far easier position to fill than top-6 forward.

I don't know what's happening in Buffalo, but Hall isn't playing as poorly as it would seem. On that tire fire of a team Hall is somehow positive in CF%, and xGF%, but his PDO is 960, he's only shooting 2.3%, and the team can't get a save or finish a chance with him out there. He is generating genuine offense and nothing is cashing. I'd take a roll on those dice.

Now, you could argue that what the Oilers really need are some finishers. That McDavid and Draisaitl can create enough chances and if Puljujarvi, Chiasson, etc. could bang more home then scoring wouldn't be a question. Hall's primary skillset is playmaker, and that would be lost a little on a team already featuring McDavid and Draisaitl. He wouldn't help their already ludicrous PP. It's a bit overkill. Whereas Larsson's shutdown skills fit the roster better.

You could also argue that the bottom-6 is where the scoring is really needed. Get a 3rd line that can outscore teams and we could be laughing. That would make 3C a potentially more important spot to upgrade (come on Derek Ryan for peanuts), but I'd think Hall for Larsson doesn't preclude you from trying to get a 3C on a near minimum deal. It just means you have to find a Larsson replacement, or maybe you tilt further towards all-offense as a strategy thinking that you can absolutely run and gun with a top-6 of McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, Nuge, Yamamoto and Puljujarvi.

So if you did make the deal you'd have to find a Larsson replacement. There are some RHD shutdown types on the trade bait board. David Savard is #1, but what is that costing you? Josh Manson would cost an arm and a leg given term and complicates expansion protection. Ekholm could play the right side but is ludicrously expensive and maybe not even available. They also don't have the cap space for any of these options.

You also wonder about the mix in the room. I suspect Larsson is well-liked/respected as a dirty work type of guy. Would major surgery like this upset the apple cart too much?

But in a vacuum I do the deal, because it's a talent upgrade. And if I'm getting a talent upgrade then it becomes more realistic to take a run this season, so adding even more becomes worth considering.

It's a fun thought experiment because it's something that isn't realistic, and we all know we're headed for a quiet deadline.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Ya it's not realistic but I was curious on people's thoughts considering the history. Funny to see Larsson with 3Gs right now and Hall with only 2 G's.

And also, I heard the starting spot for Savard is a 1st and a young center. That's the word on the street.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I can't swing a dead cat in an NHL locker room without hitting someone who can bring what Larsson can. There are 15 of those guys available right now via trade if they wanted. Hall on the other hand has been an elite offensive producer and easily can be again. This season shows he might need some talent around him - although he didn't have much in NJ either and seemed to do ok.. To try and make that trade in any way ok is just silly. It was a terrible trade.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I can't swing a dead cat in an NHL locker room without hitting someone who can bring what Larsson can. There are 15 of those guys available right now via trade if they wanted. Hall on the other hand has been an elite offensive producer and easily can be again. This season shows he might need some talent around him - although he didn't have much in NJ either and seemed to do ok.. To try and make that trade in any way ok is just silly. It was a terrible trade.
    There's a reason I asked Oilers fans to reply.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

There's a reason I asked Oilers fans to reply.
    An Oilers fan should answer no differently if they are being objective.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Ninja

An Oilers fan should answer no differently if they are being objective.
    Still sticking by your claims of the Oilers being a non-playoff team and Mike Smith being a below replacement level goaltender?

I'm hesitant to take your "hot takes" on the Oilers too seriously to be honest. It feels a little like this team ran over your dog.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Ya it's not realistic but I was curious on people's thoughts considering the history. Funny to see Larsson with 3Gs right now and Hall with only 2 G's.

And also, I heard the starting spot for Savard is a 1st and a young center. That's the word on the street.
    I wouldn't trade Larsson for Hall. At this point I consider Hall a never touch type player. Despite his skill, I no longer be viewed as a coincidence that the teams he play for simply fall apart. Obviously I don't know him, and can't say precisely why it is, but there is lots of speculation around why that is the case. I wish him all the best, and maybe it IS just coincidence that everywhere he goes the teams end up failing miserably for the most part.

The Great One

I wouldn't really call a look at the Hall Larsson trade a hot take as it occured 5 years ago . And I'm not sure why that's in "quotation marks"? The implication being that my comments aren't really aren't hot takes? I guess I agree there? I was completely wrong about them being a playoff team. And yes, I still firmly believe Smith is a below replacement level goalie. The sun shines on a dog's ass once in a while.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Deity

The sun's been shining in his area all season long.

Dobber Sports Icon

I dont think many want to admit it, but right now, Larsson is probably more important to this team. That being said, they have never really replaced what Hall offered since they dealt him and are still looking. I can see an argument for both sides. Thtas something most wouldnt have thought a year or two ago.
    The same thing was true 5 years ago as well. The problem was never moving Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. The problem was not getting a 2nd round pick added to Larsson to even out the values on the two sides of the deal.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

The question that needs to be answered, how far will McDavid and Draisital carry the Oilers this season??

I honestly don't see Holland making any significant moves this season.. No need to trade any future assets away..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

I wouldn't really call a look at the Hall Larsson trade a hot take as it occured 5 years ago . And I'm not sure why that's in "quotation marks"? The implication being that my comments aren't really aren't hot takes? I guess I agree there? I was completely wrong about them being a playoff team. And yes, I still firmly believe Smith is a below replacement level goalie. The sun shines on a dog's ass once in a while.
    Sunny days...... sunny sunny sunny days.......

LOL!

Sorry could help think of that song this morning.

Another gem of a game for Smith last night after the Oilers got outplayed and vastly outshot by a feisty Sens group. I must say, I am really enjoying watching the 3rd line of Khaira, Shore and Archibald. They are a punishing line that hits everything in sight and are even starting to chip in offensively. They have been a welcomed sight. Again, the 4th line of Haas, Chiasson and Kassian are MIA. Kassian has been MIA all season. He got his fat contract because he was leeching off McDavid's right side and now that he's down in the bottom pairing, he's doing nothing to earn more ice time. He's barely even hitting out there anymore. He's just a pedestrian. I'd love to see him get moved to the Taxi Squad (no one would claim him) and have someone else come up that actually has some energy and drive. Terrible signing.

Sunny days......

Dobber Sports Deity

So another hypothetical for Oiler fans here.

Lets say Holland was able to find a way to get Hall from Buffalo. It's not completely out of the question if he can find a way to get Buffalo to take money back.

On to the hypothetical, post trade of course. Hall has said he's willing to sign a contract extension with who ever deals for him. If you're Ken Holland, who would you rather have long term; Hall or RNH? They wont be able to afford both.

Dobber Sports Pro

Talking Re: Edmonton Oilers

RNH, hands down, even though they could use another winger.

EDIT: no, I am not on the bandwagon