Page 11 of 370 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Gagner is a no brainer to be traded, just saying. I'm not sure where the deal is but teams will definitely pay to acquire talented centermen. Just hoping the return is a solid defenseman. Ideally something with Nashville for one of their plethora of defensemen.
    Think we could land Blum? I'd do that...

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd do that as well.

Which probably means it won't happen!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Think we could land Blum? I'd do that...
    I do think it could. Basically we'd need a perfect storm of events for it to happen though. RNH (and maybe Lander as well) need to force their way into the lineup while Gagner is down, meanwhile Blum has to not play so well for the Preds that they don't consider him a key to their present. Furthermore, we might need one of Ellis or Josi to push Blum for a spot on the team. On top of that we'd probably need some of Nashville's centermen options to flop big so they consider going after Gagner.

It's not inconceivable that this could happen and even if one or two conditions aren't met the Oilers and Preds should still be discussing something along these lines. The biggest thing is that you know the Preds don't want to give up anyone who is contributing to their NHL roster since they have limited options. It could almost be best to see if they could snag Ellis, not that I'd be particularly excited if that was the only return but I'm just trying to be realistic for what the current circumstances dictate.

The other thing to consider is what direction the two teams are going at the time they decide to deal. Obviously Edmonton is content on trying to make the Gagner experiment work otherwise they'd have shopped around this summer but with other guys stepping up it's time to cut bait. I could see them giving him one last shot and then looking for the sort of deadline deal like the Goligoski or EJ deals. That's where/when we could see Blum on the move.

What I'd really like to see is Phoenix getting desperate and offering up Gormley or OEL. That's borderline unrealistic for both sides but I'm going with the "so crazy it just might work" strategy. It's really hard thinking up reasonable deals since we've spent so many years in the "something for nothing" era where all teams got in trades were lame prospects and future picks. Last year's deadline opened up a whole world of possibilities so you could really creative.

I've got some other dream scenarios but I'll keep them to myself since people are way too bitchy here lately. The big thing is when tossing these ideas around is keeping things in perspective. No team is going to make a move until they see what they have on their hands right now and that includes the Oilers. So while we can make some suggestions that might seem unreasonable based on what we assume will play out this year and into the future it's not impossible to look around the league and see where a team might grow desperate for a highly talented and young but established centerman and deal a blue chip defenseman prospect to get the deal done. We won't know when that scenario becomes reasonable until the situation materializes just remember that when the rumour mill starts turning around mid-season trade scenarios for Gagner are going to be looking more and more realistic.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I do think it could. Basically we'd need a perfect storm of events for it to happen though. RNH (and maybe Lander as well) need to force their way into the lineup while Gagner is down, meanwhile Blum has to not play so well for the Preds that they don't consider him a key to their present. Furthermore, we might need one of Ellis or Josi to push Blum for a spot on the team. On top of that we'd probably need some of Nashville's centermen options to flop big so they consider going after Gagner.

It's not inconceivable that this could happen and even if one or two conditions aren't met the Oilers and Preds should still be discussing something along these lines. The biggest thing is that you know the Preds don't want to give up anyone who is contributing to their NHL roster since they have limited options. It could almost be best to see if they could snag Ellis, not that I'd be particularly excited if that was the only return but I'm just trying to be realistic for what the current circumstances dictate.

The other thing to consider is what direction the two teams are going at the time they decide to deal. Obviously Edmonton is content on trying to make the Gagner experiment work otherwise they'd have shopped around this summer but with other guys stepping up it's time to cut bait. I could see them giving him one last shot and then looking for the sort of deadline deal like the Goligoski or EJ deals. That's where/when we could see Blum on the move.

What I'd really like to see is Phoenix getting desperate and offering up Gormley or OEL. That's borderline unrealistic for both sides but I'm going with the "so crazy it just might work" strategy. It's really hard thinking up reasonable deals since we've spent so many years in the "something for nothing" era where all teams got in trades were lame prospects and future picks. Last year's deadline opened up a whole world of possibilities so you could really creative.

I've got some other dream scenarios but I'll keep them to myself since people are way too bitchy here lately. The big thing is when tossing these ideas around is keeping things in perspective. No team is going to make a move until they see what they have on their hands right now and that includes the Oilers. So while we can make some suggestions that might seem unreasonable based on what we assume will play out this year and into the future it's not impossible to look around the league and see where a team might grow desperate for a highly talented and young but established centerman and deal a blue chip defenseman prospect to get the deal done. We won't know when that scenario becomes reasonable until the situation materializes just remember that when the rumour mill starts turning around mid-season trade scenarios for Gagner are going to be looking more and more realistic.
    i agree with everything you say here. i have dreamed up trades for the oilers that are realistic for years but they never come true. i do think gags time is done though unless he really has a strong season. i think he still could be a decent 60-65pt center but its starting to look like there is no room for him.

with the way lander and RNH are playing i dont see the point of continuing to try and give him another chance. theres a couple players i would love to grab, im not sure though if their realistic. i think bogo would be a huge acquisition but would probably require more. i guess time will tell, but i know tambi sees the same thing were seeing. best case scenrio i think is if gags really comes to play this year and we can get something for him.

i think lander would be a perfect second line center for this team. he has shown good chemistry with MP and omark and is good at all aspects of the game. he keeps impressing me with his quick hands.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hey Oil fans,

Just curious as to what the PP is going to look like this year? Any ideas on the back-end with Whitney (once healthy)? Thanks!
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by littleranger View Post
    Hey Oil fans,

Just curious as to what the PP is going to look like this year? Any ideas on the back-end with Whitney (once healthy)? Thanks!
    Unfortunately, I can see a lot of the equal opportunity BS that they ran last year with all three lines getting minutes.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

Hey guys- just wondering if you had any insight on Horcoff? I know thats ind of a dirty word around oil country these days but Im in an extremely deep league and am strongly considering picking him up.

Is he slotted in for a top six role? CBS has it stated in their player profile that hes likely still the 1st line C which I find extremely hard to believe. His season pro-rated last year had him at a 50ish point pace with some pretty "sog"y numbers to boot. If he can maintain or better that than hes likely a solid pickup.

I know this is an oilers thread but for the sake of argument the other guys Im considering are Cal Oreilly and Hanzal- team and league in sig...

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Hey guys- just wondering if you had any insight on Horcoff? I know thats ind of a dirty word around oil country these days but Im in an extremely deep league and am strongly considering picking him up.

Is he slotted in for a top six role? CBS has it stated in their player profile that hes likely still the 1st line C which I find extremely hard to believe. His season pro-rated last year had him at a 50ish point pace with some pretty "sog"y numbers to boot. If he can maintain or better that than hes likely a solid pickup.

I know this is an oilers thread but for the sake of argument the other guys Im considering are Cal Oreilly and Hanzal- team and league in sig...
    I dont see Horcoff getting top line minutes anymore. I see them using him on where he should actually be used. He should be the 3rd line center with most likely smyth and a younger player/hemsky on the wing. That being said i think the oilers will be rolling 3 lines consistently and using their 4th as an energy line. I would say Horcoff should be good for around 50pts this year with great extended stats as long as he doesnt get injured once again.

For the other 2 im not really sure. Before the season started i was really high on O'Riley and i still am but something has got to give in NSH's top 4 centers. ATM they have Legwand, Fisher, O'Riley, Smith and Smithson. I think Smith has locked up a spot and should be used in a scoring role. IMO Fisher would ideally be used in a 3rd line center role kind of like Horcoff. So at this point Im not sure where O'Riley is gonna fit in. He had a decent pre season and was great last year before getting injured.

Hanzal looks like he has to compete with Turris and Langkow for the top spot in PHX. My bet is Hanzal wins that race because Tippett loves his defensive players and Hanzal is a very responsible player. Personally I think Hanzal would win out in that race only because of the other teams depth charts, but O'Riley probably has the best potential out of all of them.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Oilers Inch Closer to Opening Day Lineup

The oilers made some more cuts today. I had to laugh at the tweet by MD. How embarrassing is it for Brule how the guy cant even land a spot on the worst team in the NHL for the past 2 seasons.

http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg...spx?ID=1549032

Im so happy today that Lander made it through once again. I think this guy could develop into a perfect second line center. I think Dobber's prediction of a Kesler light is dead on.

Hopefully we can win some 7-6 games this year cause u know that defense isnt stopping much.

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Ace

I can think of 94 reasons why everybody should be watching this game right after the Jets. Its gonna feel so good to see a team with 2 guys with sick flow skating around, crashing and banging.

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Pro

Dubnyk gets the start tonight. Im surprised but not at all upset.
    I figured they'd "give" Khabi the #1 just for the sole purpose of forcing Dubnyk to steal the job with great play. But that's a GMs thought, and the coach wants to win now so the best goalie plays.

Brent Johnson is going for the Pens.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

I think horcoff will still get plenty of offensive opportunity.

He's playing with omark and paajarvi after all. His line and eberles will get almost identical ice time.

I came into this season fully expecting the oilers to suck ass.

But holy hell, I've been beyond impressed with them this game.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Dubnyk was absolutely stellar despite giving up the early weak goal. So much confidence in his ability right now.

Nugent-Hopkins was a chance creating machine who impressed me a LOT in game 1. However, Game 1 of last season seemed to have me excited as well. So, I'm tempering enthusiasm.

Hemsky has so much skill but can't make a decision with the puck to save his life. Get him and Hall off of the same line in my opinion.

Hall was stellar - absolute beast out there and could be primed for a really massive year if Renney can get some good line chemistry going.

Belanger was a huge addition for the Oilers. They were actually winning draws and he is simply a hockey player through and through.

Gilbert...played well?! Liked Petry's game tonight as well. Barker is useless in my opinion.

Lots more I could say but overall it was a win, even though the game itself wasn't all that exciting.

Dobber Sports Ace

The pk really impressed me tonight and the face offs were huge. Finally we don't need horcoff to take every face off. I thought sutton looked like a beast and the oilers were doing a great job getting in lanes a.d blocking shots. Omark is gonna rip my hair out before the end of the year. That guy trys way to much for me and really resembles a young hemsky imo. Rnh was incredible in every aspect other then face-offs. Can't wait for Minnesota

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted: