Page 84 of 607 FirstFirst ... 34 74 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 94 134 184 584 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Default Canadiens 1, Lightning 2

there’s a balance you need to achieve, and it doesn’t happen overnight.
    This was a quote from our general manager at the trade deadline press conference. To that I say NO KIDDING. Tonight would qualify as "overnight" and the Habs were as flat as usual. The effort was borderline pathetic for the most part. Sure, they had some scoring chances and Mathieu Garon was excellent but simple plays like break-out passes and the power play zone entry were atrocious. Tampa Bay had a ton of issues with the flu and a lot of players were out or playing under the weather yet it was that group that played with more energy.

Carey Price was not busy but played well. He kept the game close. No bad rebounds to complicate matters. He kept it simple which helped the defence tremendously.

Alexei Emelin was at the center of a controversy involving Ryan Malone. It started when Malone hit Emelin from behind. Then Emelin got even by hitting Malone open-ice with no puck in sight. It cost Emelin two minutes which was the correct call. Then Malone took it a step further by jumping Emelin from behind to engage in a fight. The end result was Malone being ejected while the Habs had a five-minute power play. Nothing came of it of course.

On that topic, does anyone know Emelin's agent? I would like to call him personally. Extend that contract ASAP!!!

David Desharnais now leads the team with 47th point in 64 games. He scored the team's lone goal. The top line was good again, generating most of the team's chances.

Tomas Plekanec was pretty much invisible.

Blake Geoffrion had a solid game. It wasn't great, but it won't lose him a spot either. He finished plus-1.

Brad Staubitz made quite an impression. He started by getting 2+10 for trying to grab Malone from the bench while jumping Emelin. I thought he was tossed from the game for getting involved while not on the ice, but apparently that only applies if he leaves the bench. Staubitz returned and had a good scrap with Labrie. The Habs came out on top in that exchange as Labrie took a few heavy punches at the end and had a bloodied nose.

I think my first ever mini-stick is longer than Tomas Kaberle's stick.

Scott Gomez seriously needs to be taken off the power play. Chris Campoli too. If the powerplay lines were Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole with Subban-Kaberle and Eller-Plekanec-Bourque with Weber-Diaz I would be much happier. The fact that Gomez has PP time comparable with the team's best is laughable.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

From TSN Ice Chips:

Andrei Markov skating with the team on Thursday wearing a non-contact jersey. - TSN

Projected Lines vs. Wild:
    Forwards:
    Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
    Geoffrion - Plekanec - White
    Bourque - Eller - Palushaj
    Nokelainen - Gomez - Staubitz

Defence:
    Gorges - Subban
    Emelin - Diaz
    Kaberle - Weber

Goaltenders:
    Price Starting
    Budaj
    It's starting to shape up the way I wanted. Less ice time to those who will not be around next year. Glad to see Campoli scratched because I don't see any usefulness in him. Just get Gomez off the power play please. Plenty of other players on the team would thrive on PP2.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    From TSN Ice Chips:

It's starting to shape up the way I wanted. Less ice time to those who will not be around next year. Glad to see Campoli scratched because I don't see any usefulness in him. Just get Gomez off the power play please. Plenty of other players on the team would thrive on PP2.
    Couldn't we even get a 3rd or 4th rounder for Campoli? Oduya sucks too, similarly crappy dman, and they got something out of him from Chicago.

These losses are great, get us closer to the bottom spot and hopefully Edmonton goes on a win streak or something. It'll be very cool to have a high draft pick again, first time since the Carey Price selection at no 5. Either that or package the 1st and one of the 2nds that we acquired and bring in an established player.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Couldn't we even get a 3rd or 4th rounder for Campoli? Oduya sucks too, similarly crappy dman, and they got something out of him from Chicago.

These losses are great, get us closer to the bottom spot and hopefully Edmonton goes on a win streak or something. It'll be very cool to have a high draft pick again, first time since the Carey Price selection at no 5. Either that or package the 1st and one of the 2nds that we acquired and bring in an established player.
    The Carey Price pick was part of a team-wide draft lottery after the lockout. If you're looking for the Habs finishing low in the standings you have to go back to the year they drafted Komisarek 7th. It's been a long time treading water. Right now the Habs are the third lowest team which means they would draft no lower than 4th depending on the lottery outcome.

I think the idea of trading for an established player is out of the question. They will most likely use the pick and draft a great young player. I hear the Oilers might pick Dumba which would leave Grigorenko for the Habs to grab.

Dobber Sports Icon

The Carey Price pick was part of a team-wide draft lottery after the lockout. If you're looking for the Habs finishing low in the standings you have to go back to the year they drafted Komisarek 7th. It's been a long time treading water. Right now the Habs are the third lowest team which means they would draft no lower than 4th depending on the lottery outcome.

I think the idea of trading for an established player is out of the question. They will most likely use the pick and draft a great young player. I hear the Oilers might pick Dumba which would leave Grigorenko for the Habs to grab.
    For sure the Oilers will pick a dman, it's a no-brainer unless they're first overall and then they probably have to go Yakupov, so Grigorenko would most likely fall to the Habs. They've got solid young D in the system and it makes sense to get the big centerman anyway. Would be eventually allow for replacing Desharnais or Plekanec up the middle, and would make a great 1-2 punch with Eller down the middle.

That said, some of the talk around Grigorenko is unsettling, there's no unanimity in the evaluation with some scouts touting him as the next Malkin and other people questioning his work ethic and desire. All we need is another Kostitsyn on our hands.
    Last edited by ross10019; March 1, 2012 at 3:52 PM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Icon

On Grigorenko, it seems his own coach (Roy) is high on him:

Quote:
    «Il a de la prestance et une excellente vision du jeu. Ce qu'il fait est remarquable parce qu'il est toujours confronté à la meilleure paire de défenseurs de l'adversaire. Et quand tu joues contre lui, il est clair que tu le regardes de près. Comme Radu, j'ai de la misère à le sortir de la patinoire après une pratique, mais contrairement à lui qui était bougonneux, il sourit tout le temps, il trouve ça drôle», notait celui qui ne cesse d'être interrogé sur l'espoir du prochain repêchage.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/...s-remparts.php

"He has poise and an excellent vision of the game What he does is remarkable because he always faces the best pair of defensemen of the opponent. And when you play against him, you always have to cover him. As Radulov, I have a hard time to remove him out of the ice after a practice, but unlike him (Radulov) who was grumpy, Grigorenko smiles all the time, he finds it funny,"

Administrator

On Grigorenko, it seems his own coach (Roy) is high on him:

Quote:
    «Il a de la prestance et une excellente vision du jeu. Ce qu'il fait est remarquable parce qu'il est toujours confronté à la meilleure paire de défenseurs de l'adversaire. Et quand tu joues contre lui, il est clair que tu le regardes de près. Comme Radu, j'ai de la misère à le sortir de la patinoire après une pratique, mais contrairement à lui qui était bougonneux, il sourit tout le temps, il trouve ça drôle», notait celui qui ne cesse d'être interrogé sur l'espoir du prochain repêchage.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/...s-remparts.php

"He has poise and an excellent vision of the game What he does is remarkable because he always faces the best pair of defensemen of the opponent. And when you play against him, you always have to cover him. As Radulov, I have a hard time to remove him out of the ice after a practice, but unlike him (Radulov) who was grumpy, Grigorenko smiles all the time, he finds it funny,"
    I've read the concerns about Grigorenko too. But at #3 he would be hands-down the best player available. Once upon a time Sergei Fedorov put his name on the cup and he had his own weird stretches too.

Administrator

Default Wild 4, Canadiens 5 (SO)

I wonder if there has ever been another team that has given up so many leads. The Habs are by no means the worst team ever assembled, but how often have they built leads only to blow it all away late in the game? The overall lack of character and maturity in pressure moments is probably the biggest reason the team is out of the playoff race. Take those blown leads and take half of those lost points and the Habs are in a playoff spot. In the end they were lucky that the Wild's attempt at completing a comeback "fell short" in a literal sense (link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhGtK...ature=youtu.be).

I missed the first period so I did not see the full picture of how the animosity between the teams began, but I did see some of the fighting. Ryan White fought twice against Stephane Veilleux and picked up 22 minutes in penalties including an instigator penalty. Brad Staubitz was playing against his former club so maybe that was a factor as well. It was a chippy game and I'm glad the Habs are not the smurfs anymore. They definitely can stick up for themselves even if their hockey abilities are lacking.

The usually crappy power play scored three times to set the tone in the game. Those goals were scored by PK Subban, Lars Eller and Max Pacioretty.

David Desharnais and Pacioretty were on fire in this one. They combined for five points. Pacioretty had seven shots.

Erik Cole is battling some injuries and appears to be lacking some jump. He is still getting a ton of chances but seems to be lacking that extra gear.

Alexei Emelin had seven hits including narrowly avoiding disaster when he missed a hit and instead collided pretty violently with Cole (link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HybeK...ature=youtu.be).

Tomas Kaberle is horrible defensively but had two assists.

Scott Gomez played a team-low 5:55 but played 2:30 on the power play. Tomas Plekanec played 40 seconds on the man advantage. Is something wrong with this?

Dobber Sports Padawan

I've read the concerns about Grigorenko too. But at #3 he would be hands-down the best player available. Once upon a time Sergei Fedorov put his name on the cup and he had his own weird stretches too.
    Don't forget Alex Galchenyuk... if it wasn't for his injury, he would in the discussions as the best center available. I'm not saying that the Habs should take him, but talent-wise, he is right there with Grigorenko, if not better.

On Edmonton...I would not be surprise one bit to see them draft a big center. They recently drafted Klefbom, Musil and Marincin, they also have Teubert in the minors and Jeff Petry is nearly NHL ready. The one thing they lack is a big offensive center. They have Nugent-Hopkins, Gagner and Horcoff right now, and their best prospects at that position are Pitlick and Martindale. Both of them won't be offensive stars. If the Oilers draft before the Habs, I am ready to bet an old 2 dollars bill that one center will be gone.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    I am ready to bet an old 2 dollars bill that one center will be gone.
    Where I'm from it's called a toonie.

Administrator

In the case that Grigorenko is picked, I'd be glad to see Dumba picked by the Habs.

Dobber Sports Icon

With 36 assists, David Desharnais now has as many assists as Hossa, DSedin, Kessel, Kovalchuk, Tavares, Eriksson and Kopitar, one assist less than Zetterberg, Kane, EStaal, StLouis, and more assists than Getzlaf, Ribeiro, Stamkos, Parise, Toews, Sharp, Marleau, Iginla. All 5 foot 6 of him. Amazing story.

Administrator

With 36 assists, David Desharnais now has as many assists as Hossa, DSedin, Kessel, Kovalchuk, Tavares, Eriksson and Kopitar, one assist less than Zetterberg, Kane, EStaal, StLouis, and more assists than Getzlaf, Ribeiro, Stamkos, Parise, Toews, Sharp, Marleau, Iginla. All 5 foot 6 of him. Amazing story.
    I still get a chuckle when I read people (for example Angus in the ramblings today) wondering if he is guaranteed the #2 centerman job next year. Not only is he now a fixture in that spot, I consider him the centerman for the top line. He is far more consistent thant Plekanec offensively, and Plek can be kept for secondary scoring as well as top PK minutes.

Dobber Sports Icon

I still get a chuckle when I read people (for example Angus in the ramblings today) wondering if he is guaranteed the #2 centerman job next year. Not only is he now a fixture in that spot, I consider him the centerman for the top line. He is far more consistent thant Plekanec offensively, and Plek can be kept for secondary scoring as well as top PK minutes.
    Agree, he is so under the radar it's not funny. This is one of those cases where if you just look for boxscores you don't have any idea his impact or how good he is (and how valuable he is to Cole/Pacioretty, not just vice versa). Now that he is on a points streak (14 pts, with 4 goals, in his past 11) he'll start getting more attention, but he'll still probably be seen as a "lucky streak" guy who is only temporarily a top line option.

It is OBVIOUS to me that he's the no 1 center next year and that line stays intact as the no 1 line. I could also see Plekanec staying as no 2 center with Gionta and Bourque on his wings. That'll leave Eller to center the 3rd line probably with Leblanc and the rugged White, to me that line would provide decent scoring and energy combination and White's toughness comes in handy. This is a very solid top 9, probably will be underrated in NHL circles but who cares, we can do some damage with that top 9.

But the constant here is Desharnais centering Cole/Pacioretty, especially given that he's so cheap relatively speaking. Once we dump Gomez we can use the extra cap space to give monster deals to Price and Subban and Desharnais' low cap hit will be a huge advantage in that regard.

Administrator

Agree, he is so under the radar it's not funny. This is one of those cases where if you just look for boxscores you don't have any idea his impact or how good he is (and how valuable he is to Cole/Pacioretty, not just vice versa). Now that he is on a points streak (14 pts, with 4 goals, in his past 11) he'll start getting more attention, but he'll still probably be seen as a "lucky streak" guy who is only temporarily a top line option.

It is OBVIOUS to me that he's the no 1 center next year and that line stays intact as the no 1 line. I could also see Plekanec staying as no 2 center with Gionta and Bourque on his wings. That'll leave Eller to center the 3rd line probably with Leblanc and the rugged White, to me that line would provide decent scoring and energy combination and White's toughness comes in handy. This is a very solid top 9, probably will be underrated in NHL circles but who cares, we can do some damage with that top 9.

But the constant here is Desharnais centering Cole/Pacioretty, especially given that he's so cheap relatively speaking. Once we dump Gomez we can use the extra cap space to give monster deals to Price and Subban and Desharnais' low cap hit will be a huge advantage in that regard.
    It was hilarious a couple seasons ago when Gomez/Gionta were pigeonholed as the "top line" on the lineup that would get displayed on the TV screen. This season it's the Plekanec line that is always shown as #1. But anyone who watches the team for more than 10 minutes knows which engine runs the ship. The team has a legit top line which can only become better as the team fixes its secondary scoring problems. I think Bourque's presence will help Gionta to an extent and this benefit might give the top line the help it needs. Hopefully the Habs can grab a third-line winger in free agency because I think White is better suited for line 4.