Page 17 of 607 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 67 117 517 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Default Canadiens 4, Lightning 2

Game Notes

-This was another key win that put another pair of points in the bank. It wasn't pretty at times but the important part was generating quality chances and cashing in with some goals.

-Carey Price was spectacular with 43 saves on 45 shots (.956). Everything looks so easy. The butterfly was near-perfect and the stickhandling was good as well. He is clearly in a groove.

-Max Pacioretty was a beast. He scored two goals and had a few golden chances that could have netted a hat trick. On his first goal he used his reach around the net to tap in a rebound, and second was a great one-timer from Gomez on a two-on-one. I like his game because he looks like he's hungry to score. It's difficult to explain but some players are talented but don't translate that into points. This guy wants to score goals.

-David Desharnais continues his quest to maintain the "best points-per-minute ratio" with a goal in just eight minutes of ice time. I don't know if he's actually the most efficient point producer but it's pretty remarkable to watch. Like Pacioretty, he uses his skills to produce points. It's a good sign.

-Yannick Weber was back in the lineup but only had 10 minutes of ice time. I don't think he's going to be very good between now and the end of the season. Not with so few minutes.

-Just wanted to point out again... Tomas Plekanec is one of the very best penalty killers in the entire NHL. He's not an elite scorer but he's definitely earning that money.

-Andrei Kostitsyn extended his scoring streak to six games. You take the points while you can.

-Scott Gomez had a good game with an assist and more importantly some more committed play all over the ice. Less coasting and more hustling.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Carey Price wins a well deserved NHL third star award for the week!

Administrator

Default Habs Inside Out prospect report

http://habsinsideout.com/main/46852

Excellent prospect report discussing the progress of several Canadiens' prospects, including their three stars (Karri Ramo, Aaron Palushaj and Brendon Nash).

Administrator

Default HockeysFuture midseason top 20 prospects

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...eal_canadiens/

Another good read, with more of a spin on the long-term outlook for each player. The prospect ratings are also helpful.

Dobber Sports Pro

Any goons called up for tonights game? The Habs arent the kind of team to seek retribution, but it'd be fun!
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    Any goons called up for tonights game? The Habs arent the kind of team to seek retribution, but it'd be fun!
    If they want retribution, Price and Pouliot can follow the example set by the Bruins last game and throw punches after their opponent is down. How would they like it if Thomas and Krejci were injured? Not saying I want them injured or that anyone else was hurt that game but there's this thing called karma...

To answer your question though, I didn't hear of any goons being called up although Mara and Sopel help make the lineup tougher overall.
    Last edited by ericdaoust; March 8, 2011 at 2:31 PM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the links, Eric. I envision tonight will not be a brawlfest, I see a return to the style we saw in the previous match ups. That said, I see the Bruins bringing their size advantage but hope the team speed will win the day for the Habs.

I know you wrote a good piece on him a little while back, and have made several recent references, but at risk of being redundant I have been really impressed with Pacioretty. He's one of their few forwards that can handle and dish out the physical side of the game, which I think will be necessary tonight. That xtra year in Hamilton really benefitted him. A different player altogether this year and he appears to be getting stronger and most importantly, I've been seeing a clutch guy who steps it up when the play gets intense.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    I know you wrote a good piece on him a little while back, and have made several recent references, but at risk of being redundant I have been really impressed with Pacioretty. He's one of their few forwards that can handle and dish out the physical side of the game, which I think will be necessary tonight. That xtra year in Hamilton really benefitted him. A different player altogether this year and he appears to be getting stronger and most importantly, I've been seeing a clutch guy who steps it up when the play gets intense.
    For the first time in as long as I can remember they are using their farm team correctly. In past years you would see players have AHL success and immediately brought up to either sink or swim. At the first sign of struggle the players would get shipped out. There was no ongoing process with the farm system.

Now we're seeing Hamilton develop NHL-ready players. The young players are being given top minutes in Hamilton and when a spot opens up they are brought to the NHL and played to their strengths. Plus the coaching staff does not panic when the young guy is faces with a minor slump. This year we've seen Yannick Weber, David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty brought up full-time after starting the year down on the farm, and they've all been excellent contributors.

In Pacioretty's case, I like the combination of grit and skill. His willingness to go to the net and use his long arms to tap in pucks is what I think is the difference maker. It doesn't take Johan Franzen or Byfuglien to cause trouble around the net - Pacioretty is only above-average in size but gets the job done nonetheless.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i just tuned into the Habs-Bruins game and I just wanted to comment how much PK Subban has improved his defensive game. His positioning has drastically improved since the start of the year and he might have one of the best "active" sticks in the game. Subban has played well tonight defensively (from what I have saw). I am sure he will have his occassional F-up but that comes with the type of defenseman he is.

Good to see PK

Administrator

Default Bruins 1, Canadiens 4

First of all, I'll link to the thread I started about the Max Pacioretty incident that saw him leave on a stretcher...

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ad.php&t=99528

I just hope he's OK and able to continue to playing very soon. With concussions you just don't know until a few days have gone by just how serious it is. Regarding Chara... I respect him a hell of a lot more than a guy like Lucic because he (usually) limits his physical strength to creating hockey plays. Lucic handles himself like a clown. But what Chara did tonight was highly irresponsible and careless. It was an illegal check and he should be held responsible for the action.

Players need to start thinking rationally and realize that when you act stupid and knock a guy out you hurt his chance to earn a living and his quality of life. Matt Cooke cost Marc Savard millions of dollars because the concussions make him less appealing to NHL teams. That's just how it is. Let's hope it's not the case here.

Other game notes:

-Carey Price was sensational again. With all the injuries that have hit the lineup he has kept the team in a playoff position the whole way. Simply outstanding. I am most impressed with how well he handles traffic in front of the goal. Others can chime in but he is without a doubt in the Vezina talk. Maybe the Hart talk too. I believe it.

-I really like the way Scott Gomez stepped up as the stupidity was going on. He was the one that confronted Chara after the hit and he stepped in front of Lucic when he was clowning around looking for a fight late in the game.

-Lars Eller earned the first star of the game. He really is a different player the last few games. He is showing the potential. It's going to take time but it's coming.

-Huge props to Ryan White for playing an excellent game. He was physical all over the ice and won a fight against a much bigger Johnny Boychuk. Every team needs this kind of energy.

-As mentioned by Dean Youngblood before me, PK Subban is a much improved defensive player and he is being rewarded with time on the penalty kill. With his talent when he just plays his position between the opposing player and the net he can stop any attacker. The sky is the limit.

-Stat of the game: 35 total shots blocked!
    Last edited by ericdaoust; March 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM.

Banned

well put Eric, this kind of thing is scary and when its completely avoidable like this was and the offender chooses NOT to take the high road and respect his opponent, he should be punished and punished severely, end of story. The last thing I want to see is this league turn into a worse version of what its become in the last 5 years, its great to drill a guy with a clean hard check and knock him completely on his ass and completely out of the play and sometimes with hits like that guys will get hurt (even badly) and that's just part of the game, but this kinda shit serves no purpose other than to end promising careers and it disgusts me as a hockey fan

Administrator

Pacioretty has a fractured vertebrae in his neck along with the concussion. I'm not a doctor but I don't expect him to be back on skates until close to training camp at the earliest. Damn shame as he was really beginning to distinguish himself as a legit top-six NHL player. All that because of a careless illegal check...

Administrator

It appears that Benoit Pouliot will get a shot on the Gomez/Gionta line.

Administrator

Thanks to everyone that helped push this thread ahead of the old defunct Maple Leafs thread for most views in the NHL Team Coverage section. I know it's kind of an unfair fight because that other thread closed weeks ago but damn those Leaf fans are insane!

As much as I enjoy doing this it's the interaction with other users that makes it all worth it. So thanks again.

The writing done here has been great practice for my masters thesis document (in progress, 50 pages and counting!).

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Thanks to everyone that helped push this thread ahead of the old defunct Maple Leafs thread for most views in the NHL Team Coverage section. I know it's kind of an unfair fight because that other thread closed weeks ago but damn those Leaf fans are insane!

As much as I enjoy doing this it's the interaction with other users that makes it all worth it. So thanks again.

The writing done here has been great practice for my masters thesis document (in progress, 50 pages and counting!).
    Is your thesis about the NHL botching disciplinary action rulings??
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com