Page 23 of 99 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Wizard

torts is not a teacher so kreider will end up having to go to the ahl because while every other team figures out how to manage breaking kids into the lineup while competing the rangers still cant figure that out

also as usual the entire team is running around taking undisciplined penalties and making mistakes however only one person is targeted for punishment the kid

its typical torts

it is so frustrating to see players begin developing only to have this team constantly go out and get a player to plant right in front of them and prevent them from moving any further

will be interesting to see where they go from here but if they are going to sit and or bury kreider they may as well send him to the whale where someone can teach him whatever it is torts feels he is lacking

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    torts is not a teacher so kreider will end up having to go to the ahl because while every other team figures out how to manage breaking kids into the lineup while competing the rangers still cant figure that out

also as usual the entire team is running around taking undisciplined penalties and making mistakes however only one person is targeted for punishment the kid

its typical torts

it is so frustrating to see players begin developing only to have this team constantly go out and get a player to plant right in front of them and prevent them from moving any further

will be interesting to see where they go from here but if they are going to sit and or bury kreider they may as well send him to the whale where someone can teach him whatever it is torts feels he is lacking
    I hope they don't mess up Kreider's development. I know they are pretty high on him, they refused to include him in the Nash deal last year so that shows how high they think of him. I wonder if that has changed much since then.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

i have no doubt they are still high on him they just refuse to allow him to learn from his mistakes like many teams are willing to do with their top prospects

we went through this same thing with del zotto and as long as fonzie is the coach we will go through this with other players

i dont think they will end up messing up his development since he seems to have a good head on his shoulders (del zotto was very immature as a comparison and got everything worked out)

i just feel like they are tying all of the rangers problems during this start around kreiders neck as its easiest to make an example out of the rookie even if everyone else is making the same mistakes

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Well they went to a two line rotation last night throwing Gabby/Nash/Richards on as often as possible so I don't think they're hanging the slow start on Kreider's neck. However he has made very basic mistakes on D leading to goals against so taking a night off to watch and maybe sort out what he would have done and when can help in the long run. He wouldn't have played so many playoff games if he couldn't cut it and he struggled in the AHL earlier this year so there's a learning curve to be had with a young player.

As for other teams bringing young players along they seriously shelter a lot of that time (see Cody Hodgson in Vancouver) against inferior opponents. Torts could do that but he doesn't, he expects top performance at all times and if you're dropping the ball repeatedly you're gonna sit until you straighten it out.

That said the team clearly didn't have its legs last night in a back-to-back situation and played with much less focus and drive than they did against Boston. Nash is an absolute animal so far one-on-one, can't wait for a few more of those opportunities he creates to pan out into goals. The power play is still brutal. I don't understand why they park two shooters on the goal line in a 5-3 situation, they've essentially taken themselves outside of the play and evened up the matchups. Hopefully the day off leads to a better performance on Saturday.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    Well they went to a two line rotation last night throwing Gabby/Nash/Richards on as often as possible so I don't think they're hanging the slow start on Kreider's neck. However he has made very basic mistakes on D leading to goals against so taking a night off to watch and maybe sort out what he would have done and when can help in the long run. He wouldn't have played so many playoff games if he couldn't cut it and he struggled in the AHL earlier this year so there's a learning curve to be had with a young player.
    plenty of rangers have made basic mistakes on defense leading to goals against and they make it right back in

the rookies tend to be the whipping boy other than the one game in the playoffs last year when he benched gaborik torts never hands out punishment equally

also as awesome as that top line was the night prior they were horrible last night rupp and boyles line spent as much time in the offensive zone as those guys did

also it didnt take long for other teams to figure out the long outlet pass they are going to have to come up with another way to get the puck up the ice (that doesnt involve gaborik carrying it) and quick

As for other teams bringing young players along they seriously shelter a lot of that time (see Cody Hodgson in Vancouver) against inferior opponents. Torts could do that but he doesn't, he expects top performance at all times and if you're dropping the ball repeatedly you're gonna sit until you straighten it out.
    not all teams shelter their young guys the flyers sure as hell dont

some people make mistakes and dont have to sit

tell the kid what he did wrong tell him how to do it right and send him back out there to get it right

dont punish the kid making him even tighter the next time he is out there making it more likely he makes a mistake leading to more benchings

sometimes you have to let them play through it

and kreider isnt a 2 way forward if you put him out there on a checking line in a checking role and then take issue with the job he does maybe you are to blame for not playing him to his strengths

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Unfortunately this isn't a team in rebuilding, its a cup contender in a short dogfight of a season. You don't really have the luxury of letting kids make repeated mistakes - you need results and you need to be able to trust the player to do what the system requires in order to get those results. In a season like this Kreider is likely a 24-25 point player but if he's on the ice for 35-40 against? No good. It seems that you disagree with Tort's philosophy to the rooks but he's got the cup ring; personally I'd rather have Cally accepting that trophy from Bettman in July than a nice development season from Kreider. We have enough empty record holders and scorers in Rangers history as is.

Dobber Sports Wizard

the flyers werent rebuilding when they were working their rookies in either

you learn by playing the game not from watching it in the stands

also there are plenty of minus players on this team right now all of who are supposed to be more defensively responsible than kreider is i think to single him out as a rookie while letting the others get away with it is the exact reason that we as ranger fans have to wait so long between cups

and i dispute the idea that kreider developing and this team winning a cup are mutually exclusive things

as for torts and his cup ring i am sorry but sather has a few of those as well and that didnt stop him from putting a terrible team on the ice for years

kreider was a key reason that the rangers made the playoff run they did last season while i dont believe that entitles him to a free pass i think it entitles him to be treated the same as everyone else on the team

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

Newbury was sent to the Whale yesterday. Ferriero has been called up, he was acquired in a trade from the Penguins the other day for Kolarik. Both Ferriero and Asham are skating with the team this morning. Kreider has a bone chip in his right ankle and will be off the ice for a few days. Bickel wearing defense jersey in practice. Nash-Richards-Gaborik, Pyatt-Stepan-Callahan, Hagelin-Boyle-Rupp, and Ferriero-Halpern-Asham are the forward lines at the morning skate. McDonagh-Girardi, Staal-DelZotto, and Eminger-Stralman are the defensive lines at the morning skate with Bickel and Gilroy likely to be healthy scratches. Lundqvist off the ice first will get the start tonight vs. the Leafs.

All put together from the Tweets of Gross, Zipay, and Cerny.

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Arnott and NYR agree to contract. 1 year. Cap hit around $1.6 -$1.7. Contract being finalized now. Arnott en route to NYC.

Imo this likely means that Kreider doesn't make it back to New York this season.

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny

#NYR starters: Lundqvist, Staal, Del Zotto, Gaborik, Richards, Nash Scratches: Kreider, Bickel, Gilroy

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Immortal

Has there ever been a player to do a full division tour like Aaron Asham has in the Atlantic? Isles, Devils, Flyers, Penguins and now the Rangers. Crazy

Dobber Sports Wizard

So Arnott won't be a Ranger after all.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Shame, Arnott would have been a nice depth addition in a short season. I guess the mileage + the recent knee surgery didn't add up. Any word on who else Slats may be targeting?

Dobber Sports Wizard

OK so fantasy week one is in the books for those on Yahoo, well week 12 if you want to be technical, and i wanted to give a bit of a rundown on how some Rangers players fared fantasy-wise. All stats will be compared among positions so when i say Gaborik is tied for ninth in points that means only forwards are included.

The big three forwards had a very good week. Marian Gaborik is tied for ninth in points, tied for second in goals, tied for 11th in +/-, tied for third in game winning goals, and tied for 19th in shots. Brad Richards is tied for 17th in points, tied for 16th in assists, tied for first in +/-, and tied for 12th in FOW. Rick Nash is tied for 33rd in points, tied for 16th in assists, tied for 7th in +/-, and tied for second in shots. Look for Richards' FOW totals to increase as he gets closer to 52% as he still takes many of the teams faceoffs. Also Rick Nash takes way too many shots and is way to talented to continue with a 4.3% shooting percentage. His goals will start coming but in the meantime we are seeing him have a chance to set up Gaborik, a more talented player than he has ever played with before, and he is getting points that way.

Ryan Callahan is struggling to find his scoring right now, part of that I think is that with the Rangers struggling defensively he is focused a bit more on that aspect of his game. He is first in hits and fourth in blocks so those who are in leagues with these cats he is still working for you just know the goals will come. Derek Stepan has yet to score a goal, however his 4 assists is the same we see from Richards and Nash thus tying him for 16th as well. Stepan isn't much of a goal scorer but we will get some from him before long and if he can keep pace with Richards in assists I don't think many will complain. Brian Boyle gives a nice look in real deep leagues with extended cats. He is tied for 38th in FOW, tied for fourth in hits, and tied for 36th in PIMs. You will not get much scoring from him even once he "gets going", however as mentioned above in deep leagues he gives you some nice extended cats if your league counts them.

On defense Michael Del Zotto is tied for 12th in points, and tied for 13th in +/-. Marc Staal is tied for 20th in points, and tied for 10th in hits. Dan Girardi is tied for for 23rd in hits, and tied for 6th in blocks. Ryan McDonagh is tied for 14th in blocks. Del Zotto appears to be doing right about what you expect him to. Staal seems to be showing some of the offense he showed towards the end of his junior career now that he is no longer part of the Rangers top shutdown pair. While Staal will never be confused for an offensive defenseman he could flirt with 35 points in an 82 game season and with his hits he becomes viable in an extended cat league. Girardi and McDonagh of course are all about the extended cat leagues they will give you limited scoring given their roles however they will carry good value in leagues that count blocks and Girardi in leagues that count hits and/or blocks.

In goal Henrik Lundqvist has started off putting up some dreadful numbers. Don't panic a lot of the goals being given up are goals he has very little chance at stopping. As the team in front of him gets back to playing the defense we expect out of them the shots that redirect 3 times before finding the back of the net will be blocked instead.

Taylor Pyatt has started off kind of quickly with 3 goals so far this season. It is tough to see this lasting he is likely a 15-20 goal guy. Jeff Halpern brought in for his faceoff wizardry has been abysmal in the circle and those who drafted him in deeper leagues with FOW hoping to get something out of him should look elsewhere at this points.

If you are in a hits/blocks league I would advise seeing if you can buy low on Callahan right now this might be the only shot you get at him if you don't already own him. Another suggestion I have is regarding Chris Kreider. Many are surprised and disappointed by Kreider's season so far, and not just on the big club. He still has the talent it is just going to take a little time for him to get it all together. If you are in a league with a farm club and you have room on your farm, and further if in said league you are making a deal with the Kreider owner get him to the point where he offers you a deal you will accept without Kreider. Then ask for Kreider as part of the package. He likely will not hold the deal up for Kreider, especially if he has soured on him, and you get a player who if he does become what we expect is a free 30 goal scorer. If Kreider busts it doesn't matter you were taking the trade without him anyway.

Well I hope to have the time to give a run down each week this season and I hope this information helps you.

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

Lundqvist will start his sixth straight tonight. Looks like Bickel in and Emminger out.

Will update throughout the day as more information about tonight's game is made available.

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max