Thread: Thursday 18th - Studs & Duds

Administrator

Default Thursday 18th - Studs & Duds

Hey Gang,

Filling in for Gates and Praba this evening and oh what an evening of hockey it was! Short on games but high on Studly production!

Studs of the Night

3. Pekka Rinne - 1 Win, 0.00 GAA, 1.000 Save %, 1 Shutout.
    His 30 save shutout was good for his first of the season. This is a good sign for Rinne who has notched 7 shutties in each of the last two seasons but has struggled to find his rhythme early on this season. Expectations were high coming in so hopefully rhis gets him back on track.

2. Tuuka Rask - 1 Win, 0.00 GAA, 1.000 Save %, 1 Shutout.
    Rask had a phenomenal night posting a 41 save shutout, good for not only his first shutout of the season but also his first win of the season. He'll be in tough to get starts with Tim Thomas playing so well but this is a good sign for Rask owners who have no doubt been disappointed with his return thus far this season.

1. Lightning Strikes Twice - Stamkos + St. Louis.
    These two had quite the night just look at these numbers:
    Stamkos - 3 goals, 2 assists, +2, 2 PPP, 2 PIM, 3 SOG. Across the board production.
    St. Louis - 5 assists, -2, 2 PPP, 2 SOG. A little more one dimensional but what a dimension!
    These two are simply the perfect blend of high end talent, scorer and playmaker. It goes without saying that they'd be good without each other but I think that the only reason for this ridiculous production so far has been the way their skills play off each other so perfectly.

Duds of the Night

3. Tomas Plekanec - Pointless and -3 with only 1 SOG.
    He came into tonights game red hot so the poor performance has to be disappointing for poolies, particularly any of those who sat another player in favor of his hot streak.

2. Third Period of the Flyers-Lightning Game - I'm sorry but when a game is 7-7 after two periods I'm really not all that happy when the decisive goal comes five minutes into the third. The previous two periods saw 9 and 5 goals respectively, the third only 1. For shame third period, for shame.

1. Goaltending in the Afformentioned Game - If you played a goalie from this game then I feel bad for you because there's no way you benefitted.
    Dan Ellis - 4 goals on 10 shots, .600 save % and a GAA of ~16!
    Bobrovsky - 4 goals on 11 shots, .636 save % and a GAA of 12!
    Brian Boucher - 4 goals on 22 shots, .818 save % and a GAA of ~6.
    Mike Smith - This game was classic Mike Smith. Notches the win despite allowing 3 goals on 21 shots good for a .864 save % and a GAA ~4. This guy is so terrible, I hate to see him continuing to get these awful wins.

Honorable Mentions

David Booth - not much to write home about as the Panthers got blanked but 14 SOG makes for an excellent bookend. Can't recall ever seeing someone fire that many on target in a game.

Jonas Gustavsson - Only on a night like tonight is near perfection not worthy of Stud Status. The Monster stopped 29 of 30 shots to help the Leafs win their second straight.

James Neal and Brad Richards - This one goes out to my homeboys in rotoworld.
    Neal - 2 goals, 1 assist, +1, 1 PPP, 4 PIM, 8 SOG.
    Richards - 1 goal, 2 assists, 1 PPP, 10 PIM, 5 SOG.
    You simply can't place enough value on this sort of across the board production.

~Metaldude26
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Thanks Metal!

Like mentioned, last night was a great night for Studs & Duds and you nailed them perfectly.

Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Star

Quick Fact:

Ray Bourque and Gordie Howe hold the record for most SOG in a game with 19 each... Bourque's effort came in a 3-3 tie with the Nordiques in 1991 when Tugnutt stopped 70 of 73 shots (modern day record).

Howe didn't score any goals in a 3-3 tie against the Rangers in 1955, but did manage to outshoot the entire Rangers team (18 shots total).
    Last edited by mapletreemarty; November 19, 2010 at 4:18 PM.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Rinne Shutout

I agree with GMG. Good job on the studs and duds as he states that you nailed them perfectly. However you are both wrong. Rinne's shutout last night over Montreal was his second of the season, not his first. As a preds Fan GMG, I'm extremely surprised that this stat got past you lol
    Last edited by Lamothe; November 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mapletreemarty View Post
    Quick Fact:

Ray Bourque and Gordie Howe hold the record for most SOG in a game with 19 each... Bourque's effort came in a 3-3 tie with the Nordiques in 1991 when Tugnutt stopped 73 of 70 shots (modern day record).

Howe didn't score any goals in a 3-3 tie against the Rangers in 1955, but did manage to outshoot the entire Rangers team (18 shots total).

Hmmmm...stopped 73 of 70 shots.....isn't that impossible???

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lamothe View Post
    I agree with GMG. Good job on the studs and duds as he states that you nailed them perfectly. However you are both wrong. Rinne's shutout last night over Montreal was his second of the season, not his first. As a preds Fan GMG, I'm extremely surprised that this stat got past you lol
    That was my bad, last time I use NHL.com for statistics.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Hmmmm...stopped 73 of 70 shots.....isn't that impossible???
    I'm dyslexic on Fridays
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg