Thread: Need some advice on trade

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Need some advice on trade

Saw you guys dishing out advice so I figured I'd come for some PG advice.

Here's the deal on the table. Team and league in sig.
    I give R Miller, Green, Fleischmann, Brassard
    I get Halak, Karlsson, Giroux, Thornton

Wild guess projections for this year so it looks like I win for this year, but I'm also thinking about keepers.
    Giroux 75 Fleischman 55
    Karlsson 50 Green 70
    Thornton 90 Brassard 65
    Halak < Miller

Need thorough analysis please. Help me out on this one dobberites! Sorry for the long read.

Issues
    1) I'm absolutely torn...I know that I'm giving up the 2 best players in this deal in Miller and Green, but the return of Halak, Karlsson, Giroux and Thornton is very nice. I feel like I'm giving away THE TOP players in 2 positions for 4 top 10 players. Quality always trumps quantity.

2) Keep 8 at end of year
    Currently, keepers are Malkin, Spezza, Hall, Hemsky, Green, Miller, Ward + 1 of Neal, Vanek, Voracek, Neuvirth

With trade: Malkin, Spezza, Thorton, Hall, Giroux, Karlsson, Halak, Ward...bubble players are Neal, Vanek, Hemsky, Voracek, Neuvirth

- can argue Hemsky = Giroux, then Green > Thornton, Karlsson = Voracek/Vanek/Neuvirth so my keepers slight downgrade?

3) Trading proven for uncertainty
    a) Miller - known stud, I play him every night no matter the opponent. Halak half season/playoff stud + so far so good, except for last 3 games. Buffalo is a terrible team, Blues are coming on strong. Will Halak be pushed up to the top 5 fantasy goalie spot soon?
    b) Green - best Dman ever. How far behind is Karlsson? Will he max out at 50 pts year in year out?
    c) Giroux - lots of love for him, but will he be super stud or max out at 85pts/season aka nothing really special?
    d) Thorton - max out around 90pts/season with terribly low SOG

4) I'm patiently waiting on Fleischmann who can be a borderline drop, and I kind of like having a position to stream with if needed. This trade gives me depth all around with little room for streaming the hot hand.
    keeper 14 team H2H (keep 8)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1UTL, 2G, 5 bench
    G, A, P, +/-, PPG, PPA, SOG, HITS, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Malkin, Eichel, Kuznetsov
    LW: B Schenn, Skinner, Drouin, Guentzel
    RW: Wheeler, Simmonds, Atkinson, Nyquist
    D: Hedman, Subban, McDonoagh
    G: Allen, Elliott, Domingue, Stolarz, C Johnson

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

strictly from a keeper standpoint, you have two sides you can pick from:

Hemsky, Green, Miller + 1 of Neal, Vanek, Voracek, Neuvirth

Thorton, Giroux, Karlsson, Halak

miller > halak

green > thornton

hemsky < giroux

last keeper ~~ karlsson

so by looking at your final keepers, doing the trade would give you a slight edge. almost always, the team getting the best players in a trade for a limited keeper wins the deal. that being said, doing the trade will upgrade your current players. so whether you want to have the best keepers or compete this year is your choice. making the trade wont screw you over, nor will it give you a massive upgrade, so either way you wont make a wrong decision. personally, i would do the trade. buffalo's defence is terrible, so i dont see miller posting up vezina numbers again this year. halak has been terrific (except for his last few games which have been terrible). the difference between green and carlson will be made up from the massive upgrade from bassard/fleishcmann to thornton/giroux.