Thread: Is John Michael Liles for real?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Is John Michael Liles for real?

Someone has claimed him in our league and I am debating stealing him. I am 4th out of 12 teams and I think I might not really have a chance to win it it all.

We follow the salary cap and he makes 4.2M... He would be on my team for a few months until Parise comes off the IR. Cats are points and +-.

Would you drop Sanguinetti for JML?

Weber makes 4.5M I have him and hes starting to disappoint, he might be next to go.

Dobber Sports Stud

I will preface this by saying I have never been in a salary cap league, so my advice may be a bit off considering your league.

Weber....don't drop him. He is a premiere Dman....his numbers will be there at the end of the year.

As for Liles...I'm not totally sold on him. But, then again, if you only have him for a few months, he may be worth the add to see if he and the Avs as a whole keep it up.

Is sanguinetti even playing in the NHL this year?? If you can grab Liles for him and it doesn't hurt your cap you may as well.
    Team 1:

G, A, SOG, PPP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, SV%, GAA, SO

C - Matthews, Crosby, Point, Seguin
    LW - Miller, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Kaprizov, Schenn
    RW - Terry, Necas, Reinhart, Boeser
    D - Hedman, Pionk, Hanifin, McNabb
    G - Hellebyuck, Ullmark
    IR - Wilson, Petry

Team 2:

G, A, PP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, GAA, SV%,

C - Kopitar, Hischier, Rantane
    LW - Panarin, Guentzel, RNH
    RW - Marner, Kucherov, R. Smith
    D - Makar, Hamilton, Heisknen, Dillon
    G - Vasilevskiy, Hellebyuck, Ullmark
    IR - Wilson, Aho, Theodore

The Great One

first off, do not drop Weber

second, Liles is for real. He has always had offensive talent, but struggled with his defensive game and his consistency. The coach is now trusting him and he is producing at an incredible pace. He won't keep his current pace up, but the Avs will score (especially on the PP) and Liles will continue to benefit. I expect 55 pts easily from him this year.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Padawan

I agree with Seadawg.
    Especially if the only sacrifice is Sanguinetti, I would drop him in a heartbeat for Liles. Definitely finishes with 55 pts on the Avs PP.
    Even if you don't win, JML could be great trade bait for whoever is in 1st place by year's-end.
    Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket 10 View Post
    I agree with Seadawg.
    Especially if the only sacrifice is Sanguinetti, I would drop him in a heartbeat for Liles. Definitely finishes with 55 pts on the Avs PP.
    Even if you don't win, JML could be great trade bait for whoever is in 1st place by year's-end.
    Sounds like a no-brainer to me!
    Agreed that JML is a great pick up regardless - sell high if you can get him right away.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I passed on JML, If I use a waiver move its to get some cheaper $$$ players for next year. Liles makes 4.2M. I am not in contention and now have the first waiver move by passing on him. I might try to target younger guys as you can see I am rebuilding or maybe Colaiacovo he makes 2.1M.

Shattenkirk
    Moore
    Connauton
    Smith

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by bigs_biggie View Post
    I passed on JML, If I use a waiver move its to get some cheaper $$$ players for next year. Liles makes 4.2M. I am not in contention and now have the first waiver move by passing on him. I might try to target younger guys as you can see I am rebuilding or maybe Colaiacovo he makes 2.1M.

Shattenkirk
    Moore
    Connauton
    Smith
    I'm going to bet you will regret it at the end of the year

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Go Puck Yourself View Post
    I'm going to bet you will regret it at the end of the year
    Why would I regret it, I don't really have a chance to win... So why would I pick him up, not win and then have to drop him at the end of the year. How does that make my team better long term? Short term even if he got me 50 fantasy points I might finish 4rth.

The Great One

I wasn't aware that you wouldn't be able to protect Liles next year. Too bad, because he is likely your 3rd or 4th best defensemen (if you had picked him up). I guess you don't protect many dmen in your league.

Makes sense to pass on him under those circumstances.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ace

Your team (assuming it is the one in sig) is very young with lots of promise, so you're right in thinking for the future...not for the now.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

JML is 29 years old and scoring at a PPG pace, not exactly old or overpriced in a salary cap league! I think it has to be clarified why you can't keep him? Even if valid reasoning, if you can't trade the top scoring D man in the NHL right now for better futures than are on the WW I think you guys need to increase your reserves or farm team numbers?
    21 team, 9 cat; +/-, GAA, DGs, DAs, PIMs, FGs, FAs, STGs SOG. 12F, 6D, 2G, 7 reserve, 7 rook's/picks $25 auction $37 in season cap.
    F:Malkin 1.80,Kessel 1.80,BRichards 2.70,Penner 1.20,Spezza 3.20,Filpulla 1.80,Vinny 5.10,Wolski 1.30,Grabovski .30,Skille .30,E Staal 4.10,Tanguay 1.70,Clarkson 1.30, SK74 .60, Rolston .40
    D:Ehrhoff 1.80,Wideman 1.70,Liles 1.30,Carle 1.80,Hamhuis .60,Corrente .10
    G:Quick .10,Crawford .10
    R:Bernier,Colborne,Granlund,Dalpe

Dobber Sports Master

When I saw this thread I said, what do you mean? Like, is he made of wax or plasticine? Of course he's real! He's notching a pt/gm. You have to find a way to keep him and I can't believe I almost traded him for a draft pick. What a difference a year makes. Sacco went from cutting the guy to never taking him off the ice, and with good reason. Have you seen him out there this year? He looks unreal, like a man possessed. All started in last year's playoffs and hasn't looked back. You'll regret losing him. 2 years ago maybe not, but now...wow.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by bigs_biggie View Post
    Why would I regret it, I don't really have a chance to win... So why would I pick him up, not win and then have to drop him at the end of the year. How does that make my team better long term? Short term even if he got me 50 fantasy points I might finish 4rth.
    Even if you can't protect him and lose him at the end of the year, you're saying you couldn't get something for him in return that isn't better than Sanguinetti?