Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Myers for Gonchar

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
    I like how people are all hung up on the age of a player. Look at all those unproductive old players. Lidstrom, Neidermeyer in his last season last year (50 points), Gonchar this year (9 points in 13), Selanne (on pace for 80 plus), Jovo just got a hat trick. Yes they are older but all they do is produce every year. I myself am in a keeper league, but find myself always trying to go for it. A lot of these young guns that are the next Gonchar of the world (example Kulikov) are still looking for their first point. Give me the proven stud player any day
    Mill,

You make a nice point, especially using Kulikov as an example. Only in the deepest of keeper leagues would I consider trading Gonchar for Kulikov, but Myers is a different animal. You are talking about a kid who put up 45+ as a rook.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Master

I like how people are all hung up on the age of a player. Look at all those unproductive old players. Lidstrom, Neidermeyer in his last season last year (50 points), Gonchar this year (9 points in 13), Selanne (on pace for 80 plus), Jovo just got a hat trick. Yes they are older but all they do is produce every year. I myself am in a keeper league, but find myself always trying to go for it. A lot of these young guns that are the next Gonchar of the world (example Kulikov) are still looking for their first point. Give me the proven stud player any day
    Its a disease at Dobberhockey. Many overvalue youth and undervalue players over 30. Hell, a 36 year old guy is over the hill.

Dobber Sports Master

I wouldn't do this trade straight up. I'd be looking for a premium for trading the better player this year. When you are trading for potential, make sure you pay potential prices.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    I wouldn't do this trade straight up. I'd be looking for a premium for trading the better player this year. When you are trading for potential, make sure you pay potential prices.
    Wedge,

When I evaluate a trade such as Gonchar for Myers, I consider:

10-11: Gonchar (55) vs. Myers (42).

11-12: Gonchar (52) vs. Myers (46).

12-13: Gonchar (50) vs. Myers (48).

13-14 and on: Myers (45-55) and ziltch from Gonchar.

So, for the sake of roughly 8-12 points a year (for the next two years), you would risk passing up on a defenseman who will give you 45-55 points solid for the next 12+ years?

Myers is not a prospect like Goncharov, etc. He is producing well as a youngster and his top-end is fantastic.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Master

I agree with your valuations, but I still would not do that trade straight up. I think the guy getting Gonchar should have to pay a higher price than just Myers.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    Its a disease at Dobberhockey. Many overvalue youth and undervalue players over 30. Hell, a 36 year old guy is over the hill.
    Heck in my league anyone over 30 is washed UP!!!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Moderators, please delete this post immediately. If people read this, it may stop me from getting 30-something studs for practically nothing year after year.

Youth is where it's at for sure. The younger guy is always worth more.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
    Heck in my league anyone over 30 is washed UP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
    Moderators, please delete this post immediately. If people read this, it may stop me from getting 30-something studs for practically nothing year after year.

Youth is where it's at for sure. The younger guy is always worth more.
    I am not sure where you guys are going here. The question was not: Gonchar vs. some generic young dude. He is talking about trading Gonchar for a 20 year old Calder Trophy winner who scored 11G/48Pts. as a rookie. This is Tyler Myers, not Luca Sbisa.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

The Great One

There is a place in fantasy hockey for players well into their 30s. Some, like St. Louis, Alfredsson, Lidstrom, and Gonchar, are ageless wonders. And if you are a team looking to win RIGHT NOW, you will certainly want these players. And I would never tell anyone in any keeper league to give up on Gonchar for an unproven rookie, like say Jamie McBain (a young dman who was highly-touted by some this off-season). But Myers is not McBain. He is so much further ahead in his development, scored 48 pts in his first season, and is getting loads of ice time and opportunity in Buffalo. If you are going to trade Gonchar for someone, a player like Myers is exactly who I'd recommend.

And although this doesn't really have to do with the Myers vs Gonchar debate, I just want to point out that although players over 30 still have value and shouldn't be dismissed due to age, if you look at last year's top 50 point-getters, I think you will see that only about 20% of them were over 30. Just saying that there might be a reason why younger players are more highly sought after. There is a place for older players in fantasy hockey, but it is a fact that for MOST players (BUT NOT ALL) their skills and productivity decrease when they hit their mid to late 30s.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98