Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: IMPORTANT! Pool wants to veto my trade - please provide me ur thoughts...thx so much!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolgeek View Post
    No veto.

If GMs are looking to veto on the basis of value exchanged, they're petty little brats who need to grow the hell up, and you need to find yourself a league with adults in it. Bad trades happen, and "protecting the league" is a sorry-ass justification for preventing GMs from managing their teams how they like. Sorry to come off so strongly, but without cheating there should be no veto, no matter how lopsided the trade may be.

ABSOLUTELY agree. Not too harsh. Well said. If it insults someone its likely because it is the truth.

Veto's like this made me walk from a league this year.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRockets05 View Post
    Hey guys, I just wanted to really thank all of you for responding to my difficult/frustrating situation yesterday. I really do appreciate it. This pool I am in is a money pool and is with all my closest friends. As sad as this sounds I am actually the commissioner for this league. I feel the majority of the managers in this pool do not understand the grasp of when to use a veto and when to not, nor the ability of being able to put the pool first before their own individual needs and wants. I knew this, and still know this. The majority of those people wanted Heatley off me, and Datsyuk off the other manager who traded him so you could see how personal bias was involved here.

As hockeypoolgeek put it with his first post, ONLY cheating/collusion should be reasons to veto a trade, and I VERY STRONGLY believe in that, but I don't think people in my pool understand it (even though I have it clearly stated in my commissioner note). By saying that, that's not to say that this trade has a clear winner or is even lopsided whatsoever (not that that's a reason to veto), but the fact the large majority of managers in my pool thought this trade was lopsided for starters, and secondly wanted to veto, shows you where their heads are at, and that they couldn't care less what I was preaching to them, instead they were more concerned over the fact they missed out on the sweepstakes.

Anyways, as you all know as friends grow up they all lead busier lives and I feel this pool connects us a bit so I'd rather not shut it down, or leave it, instead I am looking to try and improve its environment. As comish, I could've just let this trade go through instantly as I am the comish, the rules are stated in the comish note regarding trades only get taken back if there is collusion/cheating, and if you don't like it that's tough luck. But instead, I thought I'd go through the motions, post this thread fully knowing that all my fellow GM's would view it and fully knowing what all of you would say, and I was hoping based on all of your responses that I could use this thread as a learning tool to hopefully open my other manager's eyes and make them realize how trades should be handled, which would then in turn hopefully change the mentality of my pool when it comes to viewing trades if they heard the same things I was preaching from multiple sources.

In conclusion, the trade in itself has passed through, but I am not sure if the long-term environment of my pool has changed. I am hoping it has after this experience.

Once again, thank-you all for taking the time out of your busy days to make a post here. I really do appreciate it.
    good deal Pocket, that definitely makes it more challenging when its all buddies of yours. I wish I could find the link to a previous thread where we all discussed how to best implement a veto properly in a league but I cannot find it. There are lots of good ways to make it work but from my personal experience the approach I take is threefold:

1)make your rules airtight...this is impossible on the first pass, shit will always come up that you wont anticipate so you need to revise them every year. Solicit lots of feedback from your GMs, if you make it a democratic process where everyone has a voice you'll have a harmonious league.
    2)choose good GMs and educate them well on the most important aspects of your league...as you note, everyone is busy so often people wont read all the rules carefully (or at all sometimes) so try to target the key points and really make sure everyone understands them...in your case it sounds like the 'reasons for using the veto' was not well understood. All you can do is continue to educate and stress how this 'should' work
    3)make the veto very difficult to achieve. I use 70% and I don't allow any GMs involved in the actual trade(s) to cast a vote...so in a 12 GM league, if its a trade between 2 GMs then 7/10 must vote it down for it to be vetoed. I've found that usually eliminates all the pettiness and self-serving type votes (or at least renders them impotent)

hope that helps, good luck man

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I am the commish of my pool and I agree with all of the above. This is, in my mind, a none veto trade. As someone mention, when dealing with «stuff» like this, personal feelings must be put aside and, unless their is a sense of wrong doing (and in this case their is none), commish should stay as far as possible of commeneting and vetoing trades even when it is sometimes advantaging one side more that the other.
    10 team Keepers league 18 man roster (+1 UFA-FCFS)/protect 13. Auto Count top 6 Fwd, 3 def and 1 keeper. Points only(def goals = 2pts). Keepers in Bold

Fwd: N.Backstrom, D.Sedin, C. Perry, E.Malkin, C.Giroux, J.Eberle, J.Drouin, V.Nichushkin, J.Tavares

Def: E.Karlsson, D.Byfuglien???, J.Shultz, M.Streit

Goalies: T.Rask, C.Crawford

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by iglooinhabitant View Post
    if your league vetoes that trade you should quit the pool. That trade is downright difficult to pick a winner. I truly can't decide but I'd lean towards Spezza Heatley.
    I agree 100%....in fact i would probably quit the league anyway just for the fact they are raising a stink about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Go find yourself a quality league that allows you to manage YOUR TEAM and doesnt try and dictate your moves for you.