Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flyer's Prospect Pat Maroon Sent Home

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Flyer's Prospect Pat Maroon Sent Home

One of the Flyers' top Prospects has been sent home from the AHL's Phantoms

Via Twitter - @HockeyGuy_DLEED
    Wow: Pat Maroon has been sent home pending re-assignment. Will not return to the Phantoms this season.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

What the eff?

I'm trying to think of someone else this has happened to and the only one I can come up with is Legein, but wasn't that on his initiative?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    What the eff?

I'm trying to think of someone else this has happened to and the only one I can come up with is Legein, but wasn't that on his initiative?
    Legein - yes, you are correct. I believe it was his own decision

It will be interesting to hear more on this situation. I believe Maroon has always been known as a lazy/unmotivated player so maybe he has the case of Patty O'Sullivan (loads of talent, no drive)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Isn't this what happened to Daniel Ryder as well after he tried to come back to hockey after leaving Abbotsford the season before. We all know what happened with Daniel.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Legein - yes, you are correct. I believe it was his own decision

It will be interesting to hear more on this situation. I believe Maroon has always been known as a lazy/unmotivated player so maybe he has the case of Patty O'Sullivan (loads of talent, no drive)
    Yeah but I think he's among the leaders in scoring this year and leading his team. He's also racked up some PIM's...
    I was hoping for a call-up as an owner, maybe a trade would even be better?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Weird... used a fairly early pick on him in one league, hope this doesn't end bad.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

He has had a great start to the season stat wise, 5G 3 A, 9 games, with 30 PIMS.. All this indicates is that he was was working hard, which should have been a welcome change.

This is crazy, if anyone has any other information, please post. I took a flyer on him with a mid round pick a couple years ago and have watched him closely. This was my deciding year if I was going to keep him long-term.
    Signed Prospects - D.Backes, J.Carter, A.Cogliano, M.Frolik, M.Grabner, N.Horton, J.Lupul, C.O'Reilly, K.Porter, S.Stamkos, R.J.Umberger, B.Wheeler, M.Carle, D.Doughty, A.Edler, T.Gilbert, A.Stralman, Y.Weber, J.Harding, S.Mason, T.Rask
    Prospects - A.Anisimov, M.Backlund, J.Colborne, N.Filatov, C.Hodgson, K.Kabanov, P.Maroon, B.Pirri, T.Seguin, T.Tatar, J.Carlson, C.Cohen, K.Connauton, D.Kulikov, C.Robak, M.Neuvirth, C.Pickard

Dobber Sports Ninja

Very interesting. Sounds like there were some attitude issues that dated back to last season and they finally had enough.

But here's an update I was able to dig up.

Phantoms Dismiss Leading Scorer Pat Maroon
    Andy Strickland | TrueHockey.com | Archive | Contact
    Oct 30

Adirondack Phantoms leading scorer Pat Maroon has been dismissed from the team and is not expected to return. The team is calling it an internal matter and no specific details have been given. Maroon, a former 6th round pick of the Flyers, had gotten off to a good start scoring 5 goals with 3 assists in the first nine games of the season. Sources close to Maroon tell me he will continue skating out east until he's moved to a different organization. A trade is expected to happen in a matter of days.

The 6-4 225 pound forward grew up in St. Louis where he starred with the AAA amateur Blues as well as the St. Louis Bandits of the NAHL. He played one season in the OHL with London piling up 90 points in 64 games.

Sources say contact has been made with both the New York Islanders as well as the St. Louis Blues. I’m told the Blues are an unlikely destination with too many forwards already in the system. One possible destination is the Tampa Bay Lightning organization as Norfolk Head Coach Jon Cooper coached Maroon when they were both in the NAHL.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Lukas Kaspar and Jason Ward were both dismissed from the team last season so this is not unprecedented. Just a higher profile player.

Dobber Sports Pro

Another report, a bit more detailed but without the trade rumors:

http://poststar.com/sports/article_3...cc4c002e0.html

The one bit that maybe gives a bit more information is the quote from Phantoms captain Dan Jancevsky:

“It’s just an internal matter and it’s going to stay what happened in the dressing room,” Jancevski said.

Which suggests it has to do with something that happened in the dressing room.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Ninja

The only rumours I can find suggest a potential physical altercation between him and someone else, but honestly, it's all rumour so who knows.

Dobber Sports Icon

Interesting article on it here

This article sounds as though it was more of an issue of Maroon poisoning the youth (a similar scenario to what edmonton avoided by sending Sheldon Souray to the Hershey Bears rather than their own affiliate).

I'm wondering if he was maybe just talking shit about Philly and how they run their business (contract dealings, etc.) because to be honest... physical altercations happen... it's hockey. Teammates fight, they get over it. Hell, even coaches and players can have words without it being a big deal...

But when you start messing up the business side of things (possibly telling guys they should hold out, or suggesting that philly handles their business in a shady way, etc.) you're gonna get a lot of enemies very high up very fast.

I just find it very very unlikely that an organization like philly (which almost seems to pride itself on taking on problem cases - zherdev, carcillo, downie, pronger, emery, etc.) dismisses this guy unless it's a move to protect their business interests.

My two cents. Speculation for what it's worth.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

http://poststar.com/app/blogs/?p=55486&cat=784

Apparently Legein and Kalinski have gotten warnings saying that if they don't shape up, they're going the same way Maroon has gone.

From everything I've read about this, it sounds more and more like Greg Gilbert can't handle young players.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    http://poststar.com/app/blogs/?p=55486&cat=784

Apparently Legein and Kalinski have gotten warnings saying that if they don't shape up, they're going the same way Maroon has gone.

From everything I've read about this, it sounds more and more like Greg Gilbert can't handle young players.
    Yep, the two other players that were dismissed last season, and the fact that he's apparently already having problems less then ten games into the season; seem to reinforce that notion.

Wouldn't seem to be much of a coaching future for a losing developemental league coach that not only seems to be making a habit of losing young players, but actually goes whining to higher ups to lobby them to indulge his little temper tantrum to have some of the parent clubs best prospects removed from their developemental team.

And if you read Holmgren's comments, ...he's acting based on what the coach wants, ...at one point he even said "there was probably a series of incidents" the key word being "probably" meaning that this incident was the first he has knowledge about.

Which again, ...if your prospects are being assigned to a developemental team, and that team is reporting their progress(or lack thereof) shouldn't you already be aware of a developing problem?

Sounds to me like the Adirondak are dealing the headache of having a butthead coach, ...and Holmgren is dealing with the headache of not owning your AHL affiliate.

This kind of thing doesn't happen when your picking, hiring, and paying the AHL coaches and GM, and working as a single cohesive organization.

I guess its just another example of how it's not just the amount spent on salary, but also some of the other areas, and decisions made within the organization; can and will eventually effect the product on the ice at the NHL level.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I was over at the Flyers part of HFboards and a lot of those guys seemed to regard the Phantoms as having become a black hole for prospects. What's your take on that, Flyer Fan?

Holmgren likes Gilbert even tho the Phantoms are 2-8-1 or whatever they are. last in goals scored and last in goals allowed and the most PIMS in the league. gilbert isnt goint anywhere short term. Sad, but thats how it is. Adirondack will continue to be the laughing stock of the AHL. Whats record for fewest wins in a AHL season?
    GO WINGS!